Product Reviews Post your reviews on automotive and expedition-camping gear here

Marlin Crawler Shifter Seat and Socket

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
*Update* I R & R both the transfer case lever seat and the tranny lever seat at least a month ago on the 94 with the MC's seats making a huge difference in the tranny shifter feel. I was surprised to find that the ball that goes into the tranny had no socket on it, so I was glad that I also ordered a socket from Marlin. Now I just have to put in some Redline MT90 in both and we'll be good to go.

The tool that dropzone made looks pretty sweet. I saw it before I did my 94 but wasn't too concerned about not having a "SST" because I put the seats in the 88 without one. But having said that, it would have made it a quicker and easier job to do. I believed I used a set of long curved needle nose pliers and a slotted screw driver in the other hand to turn and hold that collar down to get it by the tabs. Hope this helps.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:16 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
I did this on my truck and it worked great. with a new clutch, and shifter bushings all from marlin crawler. my runner shifts like new!
Old 03-16-2012, 03:27 PM

That's exactly what I did daved5150.it is solid. Bushing and socket wer toast.now it's nice and tight! Awesome!can't wait to take her out
Old 03-19-2012, 09:53 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Awesome
Old 03-20-2012, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Wheeln1
That's exactly what I did daved5150.it is solid. Bushing and socket wer toast.now it's nice and tight! Awesome!can't wait to take her out
Hey bro I'm glad my plan helped you. Them seats are great, aren't they? That's one of the easiest and best mod to do for a tighter shifting tired tranny. Awesome.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:35 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Question for you guys, as right now I am doing 5 different things at once and am too lazy to search,
but are you guys greasing these things on install or no?
Old 03-20-2012, 04:53 PM

Yes just wish I got one for my t case guess I'll do that one when I order new rear wheel bearings and seals just notice those wer leaking.not sure how hard it is to install those but I'm definately goin thru marlin crawler!
Old 03-20-2012, 04:54 PM

@extreme 22r yes I lubed mine up
Old 03-28-2012, 06:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my factory shifter bushing acutely completely disintegrated so that nobody eltz but me could actuly get it in gear so i bought MC hd bushing and man it feels like a race car shifter to me! i love MC products there the best and will never be disappointed with there stuff!
Old 04-07-2012, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
Question for you guys, as right now I am doing 5 different things at once and am too lazy to search,
but are you guys greasing these things on install or no?
Yea xxxtreme, I greased the 88's as well as for the 94. I figured it couldn't hurt...
Old 04-07-2012, 08:50 AM

Thanks guys. I figured as much, just wanted to be sure.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:41 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Please follow these four easy steps to install:
1. Remove your old Toyota seat and rubber insulator fully exposing the aluminum.
2. Turn our new seat upside down, and place the notches onto the pins inside the shift cover.
3. Rotate the seat around the pins and into place as shown in the animation below.
4. Apply grease to the new seat and install your shifter!
http://www.marlincrawler.com/tech/gu...t-installation
Old 04-07-2012, 09:42 AM

Hey c'mon now, I did admit to being lazy when I posted that question.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:52 AM

Ordered Mine Yesterday!! Cant wait for it to get here. the shifter feels like its in neutral in every gear.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:35 AM

Thanks MudHippy!
Old 04-09-2012, 06:20 PM

My shifter is still pretty tight when it's in gear, even after 390,000km. My biggest concern is the difficulty I have getting it into reverse sometimes. Is this product likely to remedy that problem at all?
Old 04-10-2012, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by awareness
My shifter is still pretty tight when it's in gear, even after 390,000km. My biggest concern is the difficulty I have getting it into reverse sometimes. Is this product likely to remedy that problem at all?
awareness,

Our shifter seat and socket are designed to alter the way the shift handle feels in relation to the transmission. They do not have any effect on the internals of the transmission (ie. they can't solve a bad bearing or chipped gear).

Having said this however, there are extreme cases where the shift socket has entirely worn away which makes it very difficult for the shifter to move the shift shoe far enough to engage any gear. In such case our product is the exact remedy.

As for your situation, because you are only experiencing issues with 1 gear, this sounds like an internal transmission issue. Keep in mind that by design reverse is the most difficult gear to engage for the following four reasons: 1) It does not have the aid of synchros, 2) It must displace an idler gear which is heavier and requires more force to move than a shift hub, 3) It must engage three gears instead of two (idler, output, and 1st-2nd slider), and 4) it's the lowest gear ratio in the entire transmission (with the exception of the R151F).

If you have either a 1986-1987 Turbo or a 1988-1995 6-cylinder truck, then their early style R-series transmission is notorious for difficulty in engaging reverse. I've driven many of these trucks and it's not a shifting issue as so much as it is an interlock and tooth interference issue. My advice is to come to a complete stop in neutral, keeping the clutch engaged shift to 5th gear, then shift back to neutral, and then try to engage reverse. This rotates the counter shaft and moves the safety interlock pin and is the best bet at getting reverse to engage straight away.

Good Luck!

Regards,
BigMike

Last edited by BigMike; 04-10-2012 at 09:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Pnw92sr5 (06-18-2020)
Old 04-11-2012, 01:10 PM

when I put mine in it made a world off difference no more tcase neutral when shifting into second. The best and cheapest way I found to get the shifter out is put a rag on it then use a pickle fork (if you have one) to push down then turn it. thanks marlin
Old 04-13-2012, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by BigMike
awareness,

Our shifter seat and socket are designed to alter the way the shift handle feels in relation to the transmission. They do not have any effect on the internals of the transmission (ie. they can't solve a bad bearing or chipped gear).

Having said this however, there are extreme cases where the shift socket has entirely worn away which makes it very difficult for the shifter to move the shift shoe far enough to engage any gear. In such case our product is the exact remedy.

As for your situation, because you are only experiencing issues with 1 gear, this sounds like an internal transmission issue. Keep in mind that by design reverse is the most difficult gear to engage for the following four reasons: 1) It does not have the aid of synchros, 2) It must displace an idler gear which is heavier and requires more force to move than a shift hub, 3) It must engage three gears instead of two (idler, output, and 1st-2nd slider), and 4) it's the lowest gear ratio in the entire transmission (with the exception of the R151F).

If you have either a 1986-1987 Turbo or a 1988-1995 6-cylinder truck, then their early style R-series transmission is notorious for difficulty in engaging reverse. I've driven many of these trucks and it's not a shifting issue as so much as it is an interlock and tooth interference issue. My advice is to come to a complete stop in neutral, keeping the clutch engaged shift to 5th gear, then shift back to neutral, and then try to engage reverse. This rotates the counter shaft and moves the safety interlock pin and is the best bet at getting reverse to engage straight away.

Good Luck!

Regards,
BigMike
Wow, what an informative wealth of information that was. Noted. Thank-you very much Big Mike.

As they're pretty inexpensive anyways, I think I'll be picking up your seat and socket next time I'm down at BCC. BTW, it'd be nice if you guys had a cheaper regular ground shipping (USPS) option to Canada from your website as I believe last time I check the shipping for the socket/seat was more than the products themselves.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:38 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
do i win for "worst shifter-seat condition"?

'cause i think i do.

marlin's seats in and greased:

+1 for marlin. i don't know how i was surviving with(out) the old seats

Quick Reply: Marlin Crawler Shifter Seat and Socket