Product Reviews Post your reviews on automotive and expedition-camping gear here

Chassis saver paint(por15 knock off)

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 12:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Chassis saver paint(por15 knock off)

A few people had great things to say about this stuff but come to find out they never used it. 3 of us tried it. We did a frame, the bay of my cab and a bunch of suspension parts on a street car.

The review...

It goes on nice and sprays well. The brush on app was used on the frame.

You have to paint over it like por15 cause its sensitive to uv.

The frame peeled in 4-6 months and once antifreeze from a busted radiator got on it then it came off with ease.

The cab has been inside all year and when i went to paint it blowing the bay off with an air pen made it come off in sheets

Suspension parts for street car never made it to the car and are being redone in different stuff cause after they were painted they sat in a garage and became filthy form a wood project. The owner took them to the car wash and rinsed them off when he washed his car...paint came off.

Dont waste the time or money on this stuff its garbage. I will also add to this thread that the frame was the owner of a paint shops truck that works with the store we got it. We had step by step instructions on the can and from the paint dealer and all the prep, supplys were quality supplys from the same place.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:27 AM

Thanks for the heads up! Its threads like this I love! Saves me money. Just wasted some on an intake, will be posting a thread later on that piece of junk!
Old 10-20-2009, 12:28 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Thanks for the review.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:28 PM

So has anybody used or seen in person the monstaliner produced by the company that makes this stuff, I just saw it on the ad above the nav bar, I was searching for some input on this stuff it actually looks really good on the pic's on their site...lol almost like they took it to a linex shop.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:27 AM

what kind of prep did you guys use before you applied the chassis saver. ive heard good things before about it this seems kinda odd that it would just flake off in sheets sounds almost like it wasn't applied to a properly prepared surface or maybe a dirty surface? im not trying to imply that you didn't do any prep work it just seems kinda weird that that any product would be that crappy.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by ilostmypants
what kind of prep did you guys use before you applied the chassis saver. ive heard good things before about it this seems kinda odd that it would just flake off in sheets sounds almost like it wasn't applied to a properly prepared surface or maybe a dirty surface? im not trying to imply that you didn't do any prep work it just seems kinda weird that that any product would be that crappy.
Thats exactly what i was thinking. Some sanding etc is required for proper prep. I saw stacy david from TRUCKS! and GEARZ use this on his show and his prepping was pretty much the critical part of the process. I'm going to give this a try in a month or so.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:47 AM

nice review
Old 09-28-2010, 05:52 PM

Was just looking at this stuff the other day.
Anyone else give it a try?

Any other kind of frame paint you would recommend?
Old 09-28-2010, 06:03 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
vwfastg60 is one heck of a toyota guy and does great work. Check out his thread. Just by browsing through it you can obviously see that he knows what he's doing. His truck is trick and much better with the work involved when it comes to prepping and restoring cars. That being said, if i was any of you rookies asking if he did the prep work right or if he know's what he's doing and just giving an uneducated review on a product you saw a guy on tv use trust me or him that he has nothing to gain by giving a bad review of this product and most likely looking out for his fellow toyota owners. I'll take his word for it and pass on this product and thanks for the heads up on the crappy paint. You guys have a blast with it and do a write up if you get to restore your frame and prove him wrong. I'd be willing to bet you pass on the product as well if you invest all the time it takes to prep and paint your frame. Why risk it?
Old 09-28-2010, 06:05 PM

just use por15. it's tried and true and gets great reviews.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:21 PM

Never said I didn't believe him, so far he was the only one that was speaking from experience. I'm glad I saw this before I bought it.

I'll check out por15
Old 09-28-2010, 08:42 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I've used POR15, painted my entire jeep frame with it, and i'm going to paint the entire inside of my jeep body with it, then throw down some bedliner on top..
stuff brushes on EASY and smooth.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by mightymouse
vwfastg60 is one heck of a toyota guy and does great work. Check out his thread. Just by browsing through it you can obviously see that he knows what he's doing. His truck is trick and much better with the work involved when it comes to prepping and restoring cars. That being said, if i was any of you rookies asking if he did the prep work right or if he know's what he's doing and just giving an uneducated review on a product you saw a guy on tv use trust me or him that he has nothing to gain by giving a bad review of this product and most likely looking out for his fellow toyota owners. I'll take his word for it and pass on this product and thanks for the heads up on the crappy paint. You guys have a blast with it and do a write up if you get to restore your frame and prove him wrong. I'd be willing to bet you pass on the product as well if you invest all the time it takes to prep and paint your frame. Why risk it?
i only questioned because someone i know in real life, and lives a few blocks away from me has used it with great results so i was trying to figure out if there was a reason why someone would have a great experience with a product and someone else have a horrible experience.

and if we all did things like everyone else we would all be driving fords or chevys its about trying new things figuring out what works what doesn't why something worked and why something else didn't dare to be different.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:33 PM

very true we wouldn't have innovation without it. I was just backing vw's cred not insulting yours. no harm no foul.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:37 PM

Old 10-21-2010, 02:42 PM

I just got finished installing the monstaliner from this same manu. and so far so good. It's only been about two weeks but it went on easy and prep was a major part. I also used the por-15 on my truck and its great stuff. I would not use the por-15 rim polishing kit. In a simple word it "sucks".
Old 01-15-2012, 04:36 AM

I aswell painted my frame with POR-15 , stuff i great.

Ive also tried master series silver before on my old truck but I didnt like it, just didnt go on aswell.

One thing I have to say about POR-15 is dont get it on your skin, Since I painting my truck myself at the house. I had some por drip on me a few times. Wow is this stuff impossible to get off you skin, I had to have my wife scrubb it off of my with nail polish remover. por is realy tough chit !
Old 06-06-2013, 03:46 AM

An educated guess!

Why does Chassis Saver work for some and not others?

Lots of people do not follow simple directions.

Quite simple.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:01 AM

I have to say this this stuff works great and all I did was wire brush the scale off oshpo acid to clean and it is holding up very well
Old 07-31-2015, 08:10 PM

I had the same bad results. Sanded my 69 road runner down to bare metal. Sprayed on chassis saver. Went to sand a few spots and it pealed right off...had to sand the whole car again to get it all off which luckily didn't take nearly as long as sanding off the paint...

Last edited by docsbeaniebaby; 07-31-2015 at 08:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Chassis saver paint(por15 knock off)