Product Reviews Post your reviews on automotive and expedition-camping gear here

BFG A/T's

Old 04-20-2005, 03:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I loved em. I ran a set on my 89 pu. I never had a sidewall go, that was the biggest selling point for me. I ran 2 sets of muds on the p/u after the all terrains. They were a little noisy and wore quicker, but that is par for the course. My next set of tires will be 32X11.5 AT, I use the truck as a dd, and I only get out to wheel a couple times a month, so I don't need the muds, but who knows the mod bug will probably whisper: "get the mudders, 33's yeah!"
Old 04-21-2005, 02:56 AM
Contributing Member

Yokohama Geolandars come up a little short off road compared to the BFGs but on road they handle much better in the wet and especially in the dry and they cost almost $50 a tire less and have a mileage warranty;just figured I'd throw out another option. My choice is down to the Yoks or Nitto TerraGrapplers since I'm looking for something different than Revos since everybody has those or the BFGs around here.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:58 PM

FSTDRAW,

I have a set of 265 75 16 BFG A/T I would sell I want to move up to 285's still have the nubs. I'm in PDX if you are near by?
Old 04-23-2005, 02:34 AM

damn why am I having such crap-tacular wear on my tires. It seems you guys have good luck with them
Old 05-10-2005, 09:55 AM
Contributing Member

Talking

Originally Posted by axon
does anyone have experience with these tires on loose sand? I plan on doing a lot of beach driving with my new fishing truck
i live close to pismo so i go out to the sand dunes every once in awhile. as long as you air down to ~15 psi they're great in the sand.

on another note, I've had the bfg at k/os for about 10k miles now and they've hardly worn down at all (lots of hwy driving). Just keep up on the rotations. They also work well in wet conditions, and mud.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:26 PM

I ran a set of them on my old Scout II and for an all around tire I was pretty pleased, they lasted a lot longer than the Sport Kings all terrains I am currently running on my Tacoma and the Scout was a much heavier vehicle.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:28 AM
Contributing Member

I had the BFG A/T KO's on my Jeep Wrangler....I loved them, as soon as I wear the tires on my truck out there is gonna be a set of BFG A/T's on it.

Snow traction was great, I pulled a couple cars out of ditches. Went right though 30"+ of snow.

Wet Traction was pretty good. I could peel out a little easier but never had any problems that concerned me safety wise

Dry Traction was really good, no sports car tire but they would hold their own

Ice...well like all tires they slide on ice, but I liked the fact if I slid off the road I could climb back onto the road with out a problem...I'm not talking about flying off the road at 50 mph. You have to use common sense in bad weather

Wear rate was great...I rotated them every 6000 miles and I had 40k miles on them when I sold the Jeep and they were still good

Looks...well they look great. One of the best looking tires imo

Mud, well they dont compare to a good M/T but they do ok. They dont clean them selves out very well. I would avoid deep mud pits, but they can take small amounts of MUD great. Like on job sites and minor offroad mud they do good. But I wouldnt rely on them in serious off road conditions...
Old 06-13-2005, 10:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I won't buy anything but the BFG AT tires, but i do agree with CynicX. If you plan on doing much mudding at all, these tires are not a good choice. They clog really quickly, and slick up, making traction difficult. I didn't really notice the difference for a while, but a guy i recently ran a trail with after a good rain had the BFG mudders and he had WAY better traction than myself.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had mine for about 30,000 miles and I love them, I always wondered what troubles people had when it was wet, I drive 25 miles one way to work everyday, all highway and I have never once had any complaints about them in the rain or the snow either, and I tend to drive rather aggressively. I have run them in sand, snow, water, mud, etc, I agree that they aren't amazing in the self-cleaning department, but otherwise, they are awesome.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Bigkahuna808
damn why am I having such crap-tacular wear on my tires. It seems you guys have good luck with them
Get your alignment checked out. I have 65,000 on mine and can get another 5,000 no prob.

All in all good tire that will handle anything you throw at it. With that said, I am going with Yoko ATs next time around.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:02 PM
Contributing Member

My BFGs are awesome, no complaints here.

Old 07-22-2005, 09:47 AM

Love mine too. Haven't really done any off road stuff, but have been in some serious snow, and they were unbelieveable. Much, much better than the Michelin LTX I had before. Bought them last November and have put about 12,000 miles on them and they look brand new. I really waffled on spending that much on tires, but I'm happy I did.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Emurunner
Street. on the street the BFG's are preform great. I've heard of alot of people complaning of poor traction in the rain, but I haven't had any problems. The BFG's are one of the more agressively tread AT tires, but highway noise was barely noticable even with the windows down. overall I'm very pleased with the BFG's road preformance.

Offroad. Offroad is where the BFG's really shine; I have repeatedly been suprised at what the BFG's can handle. I'm not saying they are as good as a MT but for AT's I think they are at the top of the pack in offroad preformance.

Snow. In the snow the BFG's had good traction, but in some situations I found myself wishing for a more agressive tread. However I wouldn't hesitate to use them in the snow again.

Overall I'm very pleased with my decision of the BFG's. Hope this helps with your tire selection.
Did you lose any MPG with these tires? Too bad they only come in load rating D for 265/75/16.

Last edited by Super Doody; 09-26-2005 at 08:39 AM.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:09 AM

I haven't really noticed any lower MPg after installing them on my 4Runner. It has gotten 19-20 mpg since I've had it, with both the Michelins and the BFG's.

Old 10-10-2005, 07:17 AM

Like my A/Ts

I must also agree that these tyres, when they pick up debris, will not immediately shed it. I drive gravel roads often and as soon as I hit pavement it's click-click-click until I stop and pull the rocks out. I found on newly wet pavement that they let go but except for the softest of tyres, all tyres will do this. For instance, my silicone tyres from Michelin grip like villains in ANYTHING but are way too expensive and have an incredibly short mileage life.

Speaking of picking things up, look at what I found sticking out of lug. It didn't piece the tyre, but was embedded to the point that I thought it was a metal flake and not a nail.

Old 10-10-2005, 02:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
I got to test drive BFG AT's and Mud Terrains, Dunlop's, Bridgestone's all terrains and HT's and Michellin LTX M/S and LTX AT's on a super sloppy mud course and on pavement using new Chevy Blechzers. The BFG AT's were best overall, only the BFG Mud tires were better in the mud. Everything else sucked except the Michellin LTX M&S which managed to get through the slop far better than the Bridgestone AT's and were superior on the road. If I did more off road I'd go for the BFG AT's. Currently I'm using the LTX M/S. They've worked fine in the fairly shallow sand and easy rock at Moab and the light 4wheeling in Colorado, mostly for mountian passes and out of the way campsites and the treadwear beats all the others hands-down. I like the sure-footed feeling both the BFG AT and LTX M/S deliver.
And that's my 2 cents. BTW, it was a blast to abuse the heck out of those rented Chevys with so much mud we were hosing the radiators off after every pass so they would'nt overheat. It was in an unused section of a quarry/trash dump, no trails were harmed in the name of, um, research.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:23 AM

What about pro comp's AT, not the Extream at but the winter rated ones. Hard to beat the deals on price, but how do they stack up?
Old 10-20-2005, 01:39 PM

30,000 miles on my AT's just about half tread now. Do great on the beach at OBX, wonderful in the lake effect snow in PA, OK in the mud in NW PA, a little loose in the rain but way better than the Rugged Trails, haven't tried the mud down here but with as much clay as there is I doubt they'll do much.

Last edited by jim65wagon; 10-20-2005 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:59 AM
Contributing Member

I used to have them on my previous 4Runner. Good looking tire, got noisier after about 10k. You guys know that BFG is owned by Michelin? They are also in the same price range as the Michelin ATs. I choose the BFGs at the time because I wanted 32" and Michelin was backordered for a long time on that size.
On my '97 I went back to Michelin ATs, but the rain traction isn't all that good on those either. With the 5spd I have the rearend quite often taking a different line around the corner than my front end does .
Old 10-24-2005, 08:11 AM

i like them

i have 33x10.50x15 s on my mildly lifted truck. they are rather smooth riding for a truck tire,great in snow, no problems yet in rain(i use common sense in deep puddles),look great! 20,000 miles look almost new my only complaint is they dont make a 34x11.50x15 which i could run with my lift!!! THAT WOULD LOOK TOO SWEET

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BFG A/T's