Product Reviews Post your reviews on automotive and expedition-camping gear here

Aussie locker review

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Matt thanks a lot for writting this review. Overall I think you made my mind and I'm gunna get an Aussie up front for my '86. Thanks.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:18 PM

Okay, not to hijack too much.

hope you don't mind matt, but being the lockright is similar to the aussie. im just going to give my thoughts.

it has been raining here and honestly i haven't had a slight problem with the locker in the back. I try to lock up sometimes and spin around turns from a stop and sometimes it won't let me. I still would highly recommend the locker over open!
Old 11-10-2008, 08:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 904_runner
Okay, not to hijack too much.

hope you don't mind matt, but being the lockright is similar to the aussie. im just going to give my thoughts.

it has been raining here and honestly i haven't had a slight problem with the locker in the back. I try to lock up sometimes and spin around turns from a stop and sometimes it won't let me. I still would highly recommend the locker over open!
No apologies necessary. In fact, the more opinions on auto lockers, the better. They will all behave the same in a corner if you put your foot down- but I find this behavior to be acceptable. I want to dispel the notion that having an auto locker is like driving around with an axe-murderer in the back seat (to borrow from Jeremy Clarkson).

Anyone else got an opinion on any auto locker? Share it.

I think I should at least get a hat by now from Aussie Lockers.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:52 AM

Here's another review

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...review-159048/
Old 11-21-2008, 11:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
yay, the rainy season is here! I love drifting!!!!
Old 11-30-2008, 07:11 PM

Are you noticing much extra tire wear Jay? I have, the front used to wear faster, now the rears do.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:55 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Thanks for a great review!
My Aussie comes this week. I should have it and my new gears 4.88's in by next week
Old 12-01-2008, 08:10 PM

I've got Aussies front and rear and have no complaints. Cheap and easy to install. Great customer service. Went to Moab and they were flawless. One complaint - My truck can do more than I am willing to try.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by fyreandwater
I've got Aussies front and rear and have no complaints. Cheap and easy to install. Great customer service. Went to Moab and they were flawless. One complaint - My truck can do more than I am willing to try.
Ever driven in 4wd with the front Aussie in snow? You are in Colorado, thus you should be pretty qualified to give a real world test.

Originally Posted by toyospearo
Thanks for a great review!
My Aussie comes this week. I should have it and my new gears 4.88's in by next week
Better be at least a page long, and pictures.

Last edited by Matt16; 12-02-2008 at 05:20 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How does the locker up front handle in the snow. Would be tempted to go front and rear with them but am worried about handling in snow and ice on road. Does driving in 4hi level it out?
Old 12-02-2008, 07:22 PM

Hey you Blokes i live in Australia. I've never heard of the "Aussie" locker. We've got "Detroit" lockers here. Are they one of the same with a marketing ploy?
Old 12-03-2008, 06:11 PM

Not good on icy or snow packed roads! To make things better you can just lock one hub and its much better. There great in deep snow. I bought a twin stick kit anticipating trouble turning in 4wd but because of the way the Aussies work you don't really need a twin stick. You need to be patient turning in 4wd but in my opinion a twin stick is not necessary.

Detriots and Aussies are not the same. Two different companies. I heard a rumor that the guy that started Aussie uses to work for Detroit.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by fyreandwater
Not good on icy or snow packed roads! To make things better you can just lock one hub and its much better. There great in deep snow. I bought a twin stick kit anticipating trouble turning in 4wd but because of the way the Aussies work you don't really need a twin stick. You need to be patient turning in 4wd but in my opinion a twin stick is not necessary.

Detriots and Aussies are not the same. Two different companies. I heard a rumor that the guy that started Aussie uses to work for Detroit.
They Aussie guy (Bill something or other) helped design the Lock RIght.

With one hub locked, does the truck pull to one side at all? I was thinking you could hack into the ADD and manually control when to engage the drivers side wheel for true 4wd.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Rod W
Hey you Blokes i live in Australia. I've never heard of the "Aussie" locker. We've got "Detroit" lockers here. Are they one of the same with a marketing ploy?

Popular automatic lockers include:

Detroit makes the EZ Locker (discontinued I hear) and the Soft Locker (full case replacement).

Powertrax makes the Lock Right and the No Slip/No Spin.

TORQ Masters make the Aussie Locker.

4wd Systems makes the Lokka, but as far as I can tell, it is available only in Ozland.

I don't think there is any rebadging. These locker are pretty simple devices, so there aren't many differences between the lunchbox locker that you'd notice without looking closely. The angle of the teeth and the alloys seem to be the major difference. THe No Slip/No slip has a synchro ring, but it doesn't look much different either.

Last edited by Matt16; 12-04-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:50 PM

I knew he was from one of the other locker companies, I just wasn't sure which one.

It does pull, but it acts much better on icy roads with only one hub locked. Of course on my '83 I have manual hubs so if you lock the right hub and it does pull, it pulls you out of the way of on coming traffic. I think no matter what locker you choose, if you lock the front it will not perform great on icy roads.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:44 PM

OH BOY OH BOY OH BOY!!!!
I am jumping up and down. I ordered my Aussie today. It will be here by Fri. they said.
Now I gotta WAIT and listen for the big brown truck.
Thank God I have Sugarland to get me through.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:08 PM

OH BOY OH BOY OH BOY!!!!
I am jumping up and down. I ordered my Aussie today. It will be here by Fri. they said.
Now I gotta WAIT and listen for the big brown truck.
Thank God I have Sugarland to get me through.
I got one of their songs stuck in my head.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:05 AM

SNOW TEST:

I've spent the last couple days driving around in snow, not a tonne of driving around, but enough to come up with some opinions. I'm going to answer my own questions that I had before giving it a good test in snow.

Is it dangerous on ice and snow?
Simply put, not if you're careful. That's to say, if you try whipping around a corner in summer/ all terrains on 2wd in packed snow/ice you WILL start to spin as soon as you spin your tires. Drive around carefully in 4wd taking corners slowly (slow enough that you don't feel pull to the inside of the corner) in summer tires and you'll be fine- if the back steps out (and it may) back off the throttle and it steps back into line. The truck feels quite stable in 4wd rear locked, although i did manage a 180 on a sharp bend on shear ice, though I admit I may have been testing the limits a bit on purpose. Could I have gotten around the corner without spinning, yes, easily.

Is it much of a benefit in forward/ reverse directional traction?
This was a bit of a surprise. It doesn't seem to make much of a difference at all. It doesn't feel any more capable than it did with open diffs last year. My tires have worn down a little bit, but they're still around 50-60% (partially thanks to the locker). To sum up, with my lousy tires, the rear locker seems to give me a negligible benefit in on road forward/reverse traction (as opposed to cornering ability, where it is a slight detractor).

How bad is the side slipping on a side slope?
Its not terrible, but it is annoying. I parked in a lot the other day on the ski hill and couldn't get out. I had to tether myself to a HJ60 (beautiful truck) to prevent hitting the car beside me as whenever my tires spun, my back end would walk a couple inches towards the car. It think it may have sideslipped a bit if the diff were open.

The verdict, thus far:
Its not as dangerous as some would suggest on internet forums, but you do have to be careful as it does add another element to winter driving.

Last edited by Matt16; 12-14-2008 at 12:14 AM.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:23 PM

It is here..
Sooooo Matt, you comin over to install this thing?? Jk
Should be in and locking by the end of the week!

Name:  P1010047.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  42.8 KB

Last edited by toyospearo; 12-15-2008 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:28 PM

It is here..
Sooooo Matt, you comin over to install this thing?? Jk
Should be in and locking by the end of the week!
You get the third member out and I'll put the locker in and reset the BL, I like that part. I'll give you some pointers when I got a minute later.

Quick Reply: Aussie locker review