Product Reviews Post your reviews on automotive and expedition-camping gear here

Aussie locker review

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 04:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That's right, the rear locked you can feel it sometimes, but it isn't much of an issue. Nothing to worry about.

Last edited by Matt16; 05-05-2008 at 04:29 PM.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:08 PM

UPDATE 10/05/08

I changed the gear oil to Redline Heavy Shockproof (75W90 with film strength of 250w oil). Oddly, it makes more sound than it did with the cheap 80W90 oil I had in there for the brake-in period. I don't mind the noise, and no one riding in the truck with me has ever asked about it, but then again I am almost certain they have heard it.

I tried the locker on patchy snow on a FSR. I performed great. The traction gain is remarkable. It felt more solid than before and tracked straiter with the locker in the back.

I had yet to have a situation where the locker was "dangerous".
Old 06-11-2008, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got the Aussie installed and it works beautiful!!! No, zip, ziltch, zero, no funny handling characteristics. It chirps under throttle on a sharp turn from a stop, but otherwise completely unnoticeable from the open diff. I second the write-up above that it works beautifully. I have only driven on dry pavement, city driving with some highway miles. FLAWLESS. I look forward to icy or wet conditions to play with my newfound traction, but I anticipate no problems. I had nay-sayers recommend to me that I spool the diff instead of a locker because of handling quirks. They must have had other types or designs installed in their machines. That is the only explanation. I am glad I ignored those voices. I will be putting one of these into every vehicle that I own forever.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by brooklee1000
Got the Aussie installed and it works beautiful!!! No, zip, ziltch, zero, no funny handling characteristics. It chirps under throttle on a sharp turn from a stop, but otherwise completely unnoticeable from the open diff. I second the write-up above that it works beautifully. I have only driven on dry pavement, city driving with some highway miles. FLAWLESS. I look forward to icy or wet conditions to play with my newfound traction, but I anticipate no problems. I had nay-sayers recommend to me that I spool the diff instead of a locker because of handling quirks. They must have had other types or designs installed in their machines. That is the only explanation. I am glad I ignored those voices. I will be putting one of these into every vehicle that I own forever.
Great to hear. What oil do you have in your diff now? For me, heavier oil is best. 80W90 dino oil was "good", but surprisingly, Redline Shockproof (75W90 synthetic with film strength of 250W oil) wasn't. I know oil to be important to locker operation as first thing in the morning after the truck is cold, I get alot better performance versus after driving a couple hundred miles. I will be trying out 85W140 or similar soon.

I had the truck on an all-out camping and fishing trip after a couple days of hard rain. Man it was muddy. I was able to handle everything I threw at it including deeply rutted paths with deep gooey mud with street-terrains tires! Its pretty amazing as I wouldn't have been able to do anything near as muddy before without getting seriously stuck.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:31 AM

Living with a locker30/06/08

Today it was 35*C (95*F)! The last little while, the locker has been increasingly annoying. Its fine first thing in the morning, but as soon as its driven a while, its starts acting up. Its entirely temperature related, which indicates its the oil viscosity. Who would have guessed that oil viscosity would effect actual locker performance? I bought a set of 4.56 thirds, so i will be re-installing the locker into the rear 4.56 soon. This time, I will be filling the diff with 85W140 synthetic, as opposed to the Redline Shockproof 75W90 "Heavy".
Old 06-30-2008, 07:39 AM

Well, good to hear, that redline shockproof heavy is not the best answer for lunchbox lockers. I think i have some 80w90 synthetic blend valvoline, since it was on sale, and the lock right is doing okay for myself.

So you think the redline is too thin or too thick for the locker? Please let us know what happens when you switch fluids. I was tempted to run shockproof
Old 06-30-2008, 05:03 PM

I think it is far too thin. I did mediocre in the winter, but now it's lousy. Cheap 80W90 was better.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:15 AM

Hi Guys

I have a 1999 Land Cruiser 105, IHZ engine and a 1993 4Runner with 2LTE engine. I have been advised by Aussie Locker that there are no rear lockers for them and that I can only fit front lockers on them.

Both are part time 4wd.

My question is, in 4wd mode, how hard is it to drive with aussie lockers? I plan to do some off road high speed rallying in my 4Runner. Will I be able to take sharp turns at high speeds ?

Pls help.

Sajid
Old 07-02-2008, 09:34 PM

All I've written only applies to the rear, I can't speak from personal experience, but I have a feeling that a limited slip would suit you're purposes much better.

I can't see why you'd need a locker in the front for rallying. You could buy a rear Lockright for the rear's of both vehicles. The Lockright functions on the same ideas as the Aussie, just a little rougher I believe.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:46 PM

Hi Matt,

I really dont need a locker up front for rallying and a such may not put one in the 4 runner.

However the lc105 is more for expedition purposes and I would like to have a locker in it, be it in the front or the rear.

My question remains, how difficult is it to drive with the front locker? When I go camping and off roading, we drive for at least 4 to 8 hours thru trails, so dont want to be fighting the steering wheell at every turn.

I will check write to LOCK RIGHT and find out if they have lockers rear lockers for the lC and 4runner. Are they any good? in terms of quality, reliability and handling?

Thanks
Sajid
Old 07-04-2008, 03:53 PM

All I can say is that, on loose gravel going uphill, the locker stays locked all the time because of the wheel slip. I wouldn't want that on a steering axle as it will be impossible to steer. Get a rear locker, learn to drive it and you'll be amazed where it can go. Then, if you really need a front locker, worry about that then.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Matt16
All I can say is that, on loose gravel going uphill, the locker stays locked all the time because of the wheel slip. I wouldn't want that on a steering axle as it will be impossible to steer. Get a rear locker, learn to drive it and you'll be amazed where it can go. Then, if you really need a front locker, worry about that then.

Hi Matt,

Agreed!

Sajid
Old 07-09-2008, 12:11 AM

Honoured to have helped Yotatech's only member from Pakistan! Post up some wheeling pictures, I'd like to see what its like.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:32 AM

I have to say that this is the best thread I have read on lockers. I have been wanting one for my '87 4Runner for a while now and I think that the Aussie is the way to go.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:28 AM

Go for it, you won't regret it.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:40 PM

Alright, I installed 4.56 gears and filled up the diff with 80W140 gear oil- that heavy stuff. The locker is a noticeably quieter and smoother. You still aren't going to forget its there, but its just not so in-your-face.

I just regeared, I have 31" tires. You can feel the gearing difference, hills where I would have been struggling to stay in third, I accelerate (slowly). Alas, you're not going to be fooled into thinking there's a V8 under the hood though. I think it would be fun to have 4.88s.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this is a great thread! I've been debating between the Lock Right, No Slip, or an Aussie. This thread is really making me lean towards the Aussie.

Also, I was wondering what you guys thought of used lockers? I've seen some go for pretty good prices if you catch them at the right time. But do you think I'd be better off just forking out the extra $$ to get a new one?
Old 07-22-2008, 07:19 AM

Bump!

Hey matt, well or anyone else that can help me.

I recently put some 85w140 or something close to that, gear oil in the rear diff to help smooth out the lockright. Ive noticed the last two days that when i first start driving it, when i shift lets say to 4th gear doing like 35 it kinda lurches, (almost like the locker is locking and unlocking, but im not sure) then today while driving to work it dawned on me that these last two days has been much cooler in the mornings (maybe between 50-60 degrees F) and that is when i experienced the problems. Then after i drive it for a while i notice the lurching will go away which makes me think that it has somthing to do with the consistency of the gear oil. Have you/anyone expereienced this?

I also noticed that it seems like gear oil might be leaking from the flange that the rear driveshaft connects to on the transfercase side, (oil on the underside of the truck in that area) which concerned me to make me think that maybe this is what was causing the above problem(maybe transfercase/trans was taking a crap, but now i don't think so) but i wonder if i need to tighten the nut that holds that flange on because i have heard some people say those have come loose on them.

Thanks

Last edited by 904_runner; 07-22-2008 at 07:22 AM.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey Mike. You will need to replace the seal on that flange. I did the one on my front shaft. VERY easy to do. Took no more then an hour and a half taking my time..

Matt - Great writeup! Im glad to see its helping other members make their own decisions on autolockers, and not listin to the hype created by the select few...

I find my lockright to be smooth. I mean im so used to it by now I know all the quirks! People who drive with me never notice a thing unless it pops on me I love the hood lifting/tilting thing, makes me feel like my truck has more power then it does
Im insterested in the heavy gear oil idea, im running the 75w-80 Amsoil synth. On one hand I want to see how some heavy duty 140 would feel, but my pricy fluid has only 20k on it
Old 07-25-2008, 08:02 PM

Jay, Time to rebuild my rear end SO LOCK IT, where did you get your lockright from? trying to get a good deal here.

Quick Reply: Aussie locker review