Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

Durhamtown Off Road Park, Georgia

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 06:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Durhamtown Off Road Park, Georgia

I have been intending to go to this park for over a year. I had planned a trip about a month ago. However, it rained for 3 days preceeding the trip so I canned it in anticipation of too much mud. I hate mud. I even called to check conditions and the guy on the phone excitedly said, "We got a lot of mud!" No thanks. This time the weather was much better and my schedule opened up on a Wednesday.

1.5hr from Atlanta and you are ready to wheel.

The park was originally designed for motocross, ATV, etc. At some point they added 4WD trails. There are 3 or 4 zones dedicated solely to 4WD. They are divided up into Park 1, Park 2, Boulder Ridge (rock crawl), and obstacles (tires, pipes, etc). $25 and you are free to go to any or all. They give you a crudely hand drawn map and wish you luck.

Having never been there before I started at the logical place, Park 1. I drove to the trailhead, aired down the tires and found this:

Ahhh piss! Mud. I hate mud. Fortunately, it was only in a few spots, and it wasn't deep or soft, so you could just creep thru it. Park 1 has 4 trails. Trail 1 was fun, but not difficult, though would be more challenging with a stock rig. Several fun hill climbs. Trail 2 was really easy. Trail 3 was lots of fun, though I had to seek out the challenging areas. At one point, there is a dry rutted out, rocky creek bed that runs parallel to the trail. It returns to the trail via a section called "The Grand Canyon". The next pic is me getting down to the creek bed. No pics of me coming out because I was puckered and standing on the gas pedal.

Pictures never do it justice. This is a pretty steep down hill with deep ruts and lots of erosion.

Trail 4 was too easy, though would be fun for stock, 1st timer, kids, 2wd's etc.

By this time I had just enough time to check out 1 more area. I chose the "Boulder Ridge" rock garden. I had to pull out the GPS to get oriented though. It is easy to get turned around on these trails and the hand drawn map is not much help.

The rock garden is where I had the most fun. It is basically a rocky hill with a trail that goes around the base. So you can drive around and choose different lines up the hill. Since I was there on a Wednesday, I had the place to myself. I never saw another rig.

I had a great day out. I will definitely go back to check out Park 2, which I understand is more challenging. In fact, there is an upcoming ECORS race there.

Here is the link to their site:
http://www.durhamtownoffroad.com/

The next 'Atlanta Meet & Greet', or Southeast Meet should be here.

Thanks.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:51 AM

Looks like they have some good trails, and $25 is not a steep charge at all. Nice write up man.

Originally Posted by Urban Assault
Trail 4 was too easy, though would be fun for stock, 1st timer, kids, 2wd's etc.
Trail 1 was fun, but not difficult, though would be more challenging with a stock rig.
Sounds like my kinda trial.
(I need new tires )

The next 'Atlanta Meet & Greet', or Southeast Meet should be here.
+1 to that.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:21 PM

Thanks for the review/write-up, sounds like a good mix and variety for everyone. I have raced MX there but never had a chance to check out the trails. I would definitely like to check ot out soon. And like Diablo, Trail 4 and 1 sound more like my cup of tea especially sinice I only have a 2wd!

Btw, when are the meet and greets? I would love to come out next time.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Diablo22RE
Looks like they have some good trails, and $25 is not a steep charge at all. Nice write up man.
Thanks! I agree. Legal trails are hard to come by these days so I do not mind supporting those who support the sport.

Originally Posted by Daniel Day
Thanks for the review/write-up, sounds like a good mix and variety for everyone. I have raced MX there but never had a chance to check out the trails. I would definitely like to check ot out soon. And like Diablo, Trail 4 and 1 sound more like my cup of tea especially sinice I only have a 2wd!

Btw, when are the meet and greets? I would love to come out next time.
No problem. Good question about the meet and greets. I will post up next time I'm headed over there.

A few more pics from a trip last month. This particular trail is called "The Slippery Nipple" and is located in 'Park 2'. It is a series of granite stairsteps crawling up a dry creek bed.

Some of the stairsteps are 3-4ft high.

A tough trail in my book. I gave the skid plates a workout and was happy to emerge without any damage. A few new scars, but no damage. I will do it again

Thanks.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:26 AM

Very nice, Urban....some of those rocks look pretty look pretty big!
Old 12-19-2012, 12:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Sweet!
Old 01-03-2013, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Daniel Day
Very nice, Urban....some of those rocks look pretty look pretty big!
Thanks! That section of trail is completely optional and can be easily bypassed. I can't seem to bypass it though

Originally Posted by BigBluePile
Sweet!
Thanks!
Old 01-11-2013, 04:29 AM

Looks like a good time...what yr runner is that?
Old 01-11-2013, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by jblackwell20
Looks like a good time...what yr runner is that?
Thanks. It's a '99 Limited.