Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

Big Bear trail with a GX470

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Bear trail with a GX470

Took my baby off roading again this Labor Day weekend, this time we head out to Big Bear to try the more challenging trails I’ve been reading about online and I wasn't disappointed.

Our first stop was at the big bear lake discovery center to obtain our adventure pass and maps for our trip. Then continue drove 2 miles west to Fawnskin and took 3N14 to Big Pines flat which is all dirt roads from then on.

When we arrive at the big pines flat camp there were rangers with fire trucks watching people of ATV riding around. I ask the rangers if there is any good easy to moderate trail I can go off roading with. He thought I was hauling a dirt bike or something because when I said I'll be taking the SUV he gave me the "are you f#@king serious?" look. He then pointed out to take the 3N11 up to the ridge and turn back. 3N11 is an easy trail even a limo can go through with out scraping.

At the end of 3N11 (the ridge) the trail can continue down hill to an old mine shaft. When I walked down to take a look the road looks scary and narrow so we abandon that idea. We also have an option to go for trail 3N17 (rated most difficult) west to east trail to the right and east to west trail on the left. I tried going up to W to E route but mid way up the hill the road becomes too difficult for the GX so I have go back down.

We ended up trying the 3N17 east to west trail that leads to Apple Valley. This road was close for sometime due to fire damage last year. The first 1/4 mile was easy and progressively gets narrower and rockier as we went along. The GX soaks up bumps quite nicely but I hear the occasional big thump from the back, no no this is not the famous drive shaft thump that we all been hearing about. I think it's due to the rear tire landing after rolling over a big rock.

As we slowly move along there were a few time that I doubt I was going on the right trail and I fear that there might be some crazy obstacle waiting. I wanted to go back each time I saw a flat area which I can turn around. It was almost sunset when we reach a top of the hill and I was about to give up. We took a short break and a Toyota FJ60 Land Cruiser came along. They told us they are getting scared and we decided to caravan our way out just in case one of us gets stuck.

Man they drove quick! FJ60 is flying on the trail and I was having a hard time catching up. I guess they care less of their rigs than I do. I took us another 30 to 45mins to get to the main roads. And it was a relief to see flat dirt roads again.

This is my first time taking the GX real off roading and it took my respect to these types of vehicles to another level. There were a few time that I know I’m going to scrape the chassis big time but it didn’t scrape at all. Plus there were a few rocky climbs that seem impossible to go but with a little momentum it made it.

I used low gear on the entire tail so that I can modulate the throttle more precisely. I also adjusted the ride height to full high which only raised the back. The skid plate took a few punches from foot ball size rocks and driver side running board had a few scrapes from washing machine size rocks that are half way sticking out. Nonetheless, I had the time of my life, the rush of tackling the trail obstacle and viewing the scenery after is just breath taking. I can’t wait to go back.

pictures here
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/show...hreadid=132940

Charleston
Old 09-06-2004, 05:17 PM
Contributing Member

GX 470 is a very capable offroader. It is called landcruiser Prado in Asia. It woudl be great if they come with the adjustable front suspension too
Old 09-06-2004, 05:18 PM
Contributing Member

And in fact it shares the same chasis with the 4Runner too!!
Old 09-06-2004, 05:24 PM

Charleston,
nice write up. Come with yotatech members and you will see that you CAN make all those trails with your GX, no problem!

Check for group trips here or post next time you go and have a couple of us tag along, it will be fun

Originally Posted by civicferio
At the end of 3N11 (the ridge) the trail can continue down hill to an old mine shaft. When I walked down to take a look the road looks scary and narrow so we abandon that idea. We also have an option to go for trail 3N17 (rated most difficult) west to east trail to the right and east to west trail on the left. I tried going up to W to E route but mid way up the hill the road becomes too difficult for the GX so I have go back down.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/show...hreadid=132940

Charleston
Old 09-06-2004, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by FirstToy
Charleston,
nice write up. Come with yotatech members and you will see that you CAN make all those trails with your GX, no problem!

Check for group trips here or post next time you go and have a couple of us tag along, it will be fun
I don't know if I'll be going alone again anytime soon but I'll be checking the trip planning forum to see if there is any event coming up in the south land. It was really scary driving alone with out any knowlege of the area. The ranger warned me how much the local tow service will be if I get stuck. So half of the trip I was worrying rather than enjoying.

I also like to lift the rig a bit like what these guys did http://www.fourwheeler.com/projectbuild/129_0407_lexus/

Hope to join you guys soon. Thanks

Charleston
Old 09-06-2004, 10:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that thing has more flex than my 4runner. good pics.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by civicferio
I also like to lift the rig a bit like what these guys did http://www.fourwheeler.com/projectbuild/129_0407_lexus/

Hope to join you guys soon. Thanks

Charleston
Great write up Charleston! Looks like you had alot of fun. I've been lurking on that club lexus forum and have seen ya take your gx out on the trails (good to see).

We did have a scheduled Big Bear run next weekend but it looks like that's been cancelled. I'm sure we'll have other trail runs next month or the month after.

Your GX doesn't have xreas does it? If it doesn't, lifting your rig should be relatively easy. I can't say for sure as I've never really looked under a GX but once I do, I'll be able to help ya out. If you're seriously considering lifting your gx, PM me

Good luck and see ya on the trails.