Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Land Cruiser Coil Spring Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 06:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Land Cruiser Coil Spring Questions

My Runner sits about an inch or so lower in the back than front with the Daystar 2-1/2 inch spacer lift. I hate it that the rear sags and am going after a raked look. After hours of searching, I've finally narrowed things down. I plan on installing Land Cruiser 80 series coils in the back, and am just trying to confirm some things.

I know I need the FRONT LC coils from the 80 series for the back of my Runner. There has been a lot of discussion about the number of wraps on the coils from the different years of LC's. I THINK the 95's use a 7 wrap coil, but am not 100% sure. I plan to keep the stock shocks for now and the stock brake line. I know that I won't get the full articulation, but the stock shocks should limit travel, which will eliminate the need for longer brake lines...or so I've read.

Can anyone tell me for sure that's the correct year for 7 wraps? Also, any install hints or other thoughts on this setup? In the end, I'd like to get an additional 1-2" of lift over the Daystars. TIA!
Old 05-29-2006, 08:36 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I dont think the year matters with the # of wraps. They wre pretty random from w hat I remember.

Just buy some that have 7 wraps
Old 05-29-2006, 09:25 AM
Contributing Member

I almost went this same route as I wanted a raked look as well after my Revtek lift. (My rear was sagging about 1 1/2" lower than my front but was didn't look as bad as this sounds.) After buying a set of LC coils, I was surprised at how beefy they were compared to stock. I was also surprised at how much rake they gave from pics of people that have gone this route.

After much debate, I sold the LC coils and bought some OME 891's. Now I have the perfect rake (for me at least) and I didn't have to worry about extending brake lines, a new bracket for the e-brake, etc. Not to mention, the cheapest I could find LC coils were $75 shipped while brand new 891's were $130 shipped. I figured why not go w/ new...

Good luck w/ your quest. BTW, make sure the LC coils you get are not taller than 19" in length. This is how I went about looking for mine vs. number of wraps. IIRC, the set I had had 8 wraps.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:34 AM

[QUOTE=ebelen1]After much debate, I sold the LC coils and bought some OME 891's. Now I have the perfect rake (for me at least) and I didn't have to worry about extending brake lines, a new bracket for the e-brake, etc. Not to mention, the cheapest I could find LC coils were $75 shipped while brand new 891's were $130 shipped. I figured why not go w/ new...
QUOTE]

Sounds logical. How much lift did you get with the 891's and LC coils versus the Revtek lift? How was the installation?
Old 05-30-2006, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by emptypockets
My Runner sits about an inch or so lower in the back than front with the Daystar 2-1/2 inch spacer lift. I hate it that the rear sags and am going after a raked look. After hours of searching, I've finally narrowed things down. I plan on installing Land Cruiser 80 series coils in the back, and am just trying to confirm some things.

I know I need the FRONT LC coils from the 80 series for the back of my Runner. There has been a lot of discussion about the number of wraps on the coils from the different years of LC's. I THINK the 95's use a 7 wrap coil, but am not 100% sure. I plan to keep the stock shocks for now and the stock brake line. I know that I won't get the full articulation, but the stock shocks should limit travel, which will eliminate the need for longer brake lines...or so I've read.

Can anyone tell me for sure that's the correct year for 7 wraps? Also, any install hints or other thoughts on this setup? In the end, I'd like to get an additional 1-2" of lift over the Daystars. TIA!
I grabbed two sets of LC coils they are different sizes one set was the 19in and the other was 21in, when i put both sets on they had the same height.

I'll be putting the extra set up forsale.

Last edited by blazingram; 05-30-2006 at 09:50 AM.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:28 AM
Contributing Member

[QUOTE=emptypockets
Sounds logical. How much lift did you get with the 891's and LC coils versus the Revtek lift? How was the installation?[/QUOTE]

I think the 891's got about 2.5 to 3". The Revtek lift says 2.5" but soon after the install, the rear started sagging. Note my springs were at least six years old when I put the spacer in and about 100k miles. Before I swapped the Revtek spacer, I was about 1.5" lower than the front. After the OME coils, I'm about .5" taller than the front. From what I've read, the OEM's will settle about .5", which should give me even height.

The LC coils should yield more like 3 - 3.5" from what I've read. I didn't want this much rake.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by blazingram
I grabbed two sets of LC coils they are different sizes one set was the 19in and the other was 21in, when i put both sets on they had the same height.

I'll be putting the extra set up forsale.
How much would you want for the set you don't use? I'd probably prefer the 19 inch set.