General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

What to carry while 'wheeling

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 12:25 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What to carry while 'wheeling

OK, Fink's "recovery gear storage" thread and 'wheeling with Lysmachia this weekend got me thinking...

What should I be carrying off road in my 2nd Gen 3.0 manual tranny 4Runner for not too remote "day trips" in a wooded/muddy environment? I want this list to be the "must-haves" - not the "nice-to-haves".

Here's what I'm thinking so far, let me know if I forgot anything, don't really need something, or need to revise quantity:

Fluids:
- 4 quarts motor oil
- 1 gal gear oil (for both tranny and diffs - same will work right?)
- 1 quart ATF w/ Dexron (for power steering)
- 1 quart brake fluid
- 2 gals Water/coolant premixed
- 5 gals gas
- WD40/PB Blaster

Parts:
- Spare tire
- CV joint
- Power steering pump
- Timing belt
- Water pump
- Alternator
- Headlight bulb(s)
- Assortment of bolts, nuts, and washers in 10mm, 12mm, 14mm
- Belts and hoses
- Oil filter

Tools:
- Assortment of wrenches and sockets from 8mm to 27 mm
- Flat and philips screwdrivers
- Hammer
- Prybar
- Electrical - strippers, crimpers, crimp connectors, zip ties
- Tire changing tools
- Bottle jack (in addition to stock jack)
- Duct tape
- Electrical tape
- Flashlight

Recovery:
- Recovery strap
- High lift jack
- Rear receiver hook
- 2 @ 3/4" shackles
- Tire chains
- Axe/saw

Emergency:
- Food/water
- Blanket
- Tarp
- Hat/gloves/coat
- Cell phone/CB
- GPS

(If this list has already been compiled - please post the link. Couldn't think what to search on...)
Old 01-16-2006, 12:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you have a highlift jack...do you need the bottle jack

list looks good to me though
Old 01-16-2006, 01:34 PM

how about matches and a knife?
Old 01-16-2006, 01:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I would vote on a shovel. A shovel comes in very handy and is commonly overlooked.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:42 PM

well a shotgun and a shovel...

Last edited by 934rnr; 01-16-2006 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 934rnr
well a shotgun and a shovel...
Alright, well a survival knife with you matches inside of it.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:55 PM

Wow!

I'm waaaaay under prepared by looking at that list. I'm not sure I'd take all of that on a one-day outting, but that's great preparation for a multi-day, back country trip. Do most/many of you guys carry all that stuff?

One item not on the list that I consider imperative -- idiot stick (shovel). Very versatile for important stuff and is my first choice when grabbing improvised weapons to deal with any riff-raff. I almost had to use it on Steve last weekend.

Ed
Old 01-16-2006, 01:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about the kitchen sink. Dang man you could wheel all the way around the world with all that stuff. You'd have like 300lbs and $500 worth of crap to carry around. A gallon of gear oil...4 quarts of oil? You'd would have some serous issues if you needed that much oil. I'd say for just doing day trips and nothing too hardcore where you are planning on breaking something get you some decent recovery gear and call it good. I carry a Shovel, tow strap, shackles, jumper cables, heavy duty 12V pump, and a few other odds and ends. In all my wheeling my shovel and tow strap have been all I needed to get out of trouble....knock on wood.

Good thread

I typed in "Stuff to carry while wheeling" and got this among a whole bunch of other stuff

Last edited by UKMyers; 01-16-2006 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:35 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
There are numerous 4x4 magazines that have recent articles on "what to take" wheeling...broken down into categories. I'd suggest subscribing to some as their lists are much more inclusive than anything you'll find on here.

Old 01-16-2006, 05:10 PM
Contributing Member

[QUOTE=UKMyers]How about the kitchen sink. Dang man you could wheel all the way around the world with all that stuff. You'd have like 300lbs and $500 worth of crap to carry around. QUOTE]

You know what. I wheel with all of the above as well as a sleeping bag, several gallons of water (I do not cary the gas - because of fumes). And an Ice axe. Don't ask why but that ice axe has proved to be more valuable than anything in terms of a leverage bar and moving rocks out from under my diff....

I might not do 4 quarts of oil but aside from that I pretty much have Troy's list in the back of my runner. (IN soft sided bags arranged around my 35). I also have air tools and on board air. That's one of those things that its nice for 1 of you in the group to have....

That said carrying almost the kitchen sinck has proven invaluable for me. At least with the wheling and the level of remoteness I do. As Dan (aka) Blink Taco says... if it can stop you... carry it. I will be adding a spare alternator, Burfs, heim joint ends and power steering pump now as well.

Last edited by Lysmachia; 01-16-2006 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:21 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Someone told me if it can strand you, you better have it - and the more I think about it, she's right! The place I go 'wheeling is 2hrs away from home, and no easy way out. For instance, if you were to lose an oil filter, you would frag the engine before you got out without enough oil to fill it back up.

Any recommendations which one waskilly?

Thanks for the link UK
Old 01-17-2006, 04:48 AM

Well, I am under prepared. Time to start buying stuff. I've been thinking about getting stuff together for expedition travel so that if I break down in the middle of nowhere, I have a shot at getting out.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:57 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Thrillbilly
Well, I am under prepared. Time to start buying stuff. I've been thinking about getting stuff together for expedition travel so that if I break down in the middle of nowhere, I have a shot at getting out.
You and me both!
Old 01-17-2006, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by tc
OK, Fink's "recovery gear storage" thread and 'wheeling with Lysmachia this weekend got me thinking...

What should I be carrying off road in my 2nd Gen 3.0 manual tranny 4Runner for not too remote "day trips" in a wooded/muddy environment? I want this list to be the "must-haves" - not the "nice-to-haves".

Here's what I'm thinking so far, let me know if I forgot anything, don't really need something, or need to revise quantity:
(If this list has already been compiled - please post the link. Couldn't think what to search on...)
First off, what is Molly wheeling in and why? Shouldn't she be chopping and reparing her busted up rig?

I think that your list is a bit overkill for non-remote muddy-wooded areas as you specified. I mean, if you lose/break one of those items you will be glad to have it, but I don't think it is very likely. Perhaps you should bring a spare 22re just in case yours fails, then you may need an engine lift...perhaps a tranny jack in case you blow a clutch on the trail, of course, you will need all the clutch parts too...5 spare tires, you just never know...
You need to decide what is likely to break and make a decision based on that. Also decide, what can break but still be driven out. For example, on my 3rz (98 taco)if the power steering pump goes, it will suck, but I will still be able to steer. So an extra power steering pump is not finding its way into my rig.

Fluids:
- 4 quarts motor oil (If you lose or drain 4 quarts, do you have something to put it in/clean it up with?)
- 1 gal gear oil (for both tranny and diffs - same will work right?) assuming it is manual tranny, yes.
- 1 quart ATF w/ Dexron (for power steering)
- 1 quart brake fluid
- 2 gals Water/coolant premixed (Maybe not-pre-mixed, that way, some of your drinking water can double as coolant water)
- 5 gals gas fill up your tank before you leave, leave this at home.
- WD40/PB Blaster

Parts:
- Spare tire
- CV joint
- Power steering pump
- Timing belt Are you really going to rip apart your head on the trail and put in a new timing belt?
- Water pump Same question as above
- Alternator Have yours tested, if it works well, stay out of large mud holes that might kill it, drive on!
- Headlight bulb(s) Have some auxiliary lights on the truck, if you lose a headlight, deal with it, you are more likely to break these anyway when they are stored.
- Assortment of bolts, nuts, and washers in 10mm, 12mm, 14mm
- Belts and hoses
- Oil filter

Tools:
- Assortment of wrenches and sockets from 8mm to 27 mm
- Flat and philips screwdrivers
- Hammer
- Prybar
- Electrical - strippers, crimpers, crimp connectors, zip ties
- Tire changing tools
- Bottle jack (in addition to stock jack)
- Duct tape
- Electrical tape
- Flashlight

Recovery:
- Recovery strap
- High lift jack
- Rear receiver hook
- 2 @ 3/4" shackles
- Tire chains
- Axe/saw SHOVEL
- extra strap (you need to attach the other end of the hi lift to something if you have to use it as a hand winch)

Emergency:
- Food/water (Plenty of water, minimal, non-spoilable type foods, unless you are just packing a lunch)
- Blanket
- Tarp
- Hat/gloves/coat/Boots
- Cell phone/CB
- GPS classifies as "nice to have" not "need to have"
Old 01-17-2006, 06:59 AM

I agree with the above post - I am not going to do any major repairs on the trail, I'll get it towed out or come back later. don't forget duct tape and nylons - yes they work for belt replacement - I have done it and drove a while on them. Also if you have a good battery then a spare alternator doesn't matter that much. you should have enought juice in your battery to get you back out. I have a 1200CCA battery - big heavy thing but I never lack juice.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:50 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Intrepid
First off, what is Molly wheeling in and why? Shouldn't she be chopping and reparing her busted up rig?
LMAO... My busted rig has new glass, new swaybars a new rear winch (to suck down the rear so I am not as tippy when I go down stuff like when I rolled this last time) I'll get the exo and chop it all later this spring. The wheeling I have planned would not wait. (Doing farmington this weekend).

I guess I need to clarify a bit with regards to why I carry all this stuff. The guys and one gal I wheel with know their mechanichal shizzy. Nicole (Aka Blown4runner) is a Toyota tech, and thank god Bling had an extra power steering pump because his went at the top of rocker knocker in pritchett. Nic swapped it out (with our help) in less than 30 minutes.

If Dan didn't have a spare and Nic wasn't such a wiz with changing it (those small hands help) we would have been screwed! Because 3TRD Marine and I are new to driving Pritchett and we needed Dan to guide us out - plus having his second winch (along with mine) proved invaluable. Now granted most people don't wheel like this, but I guess it is par for the course for some of us CoTTORA kids and the reality of being stuck on pritchett for a night was there. (We were all prepared with food, tents and down bags) We did finally get off at 2:00 am though.

(Hiking out is not an option. we were 6 miles from any main road in the dark).

I guess not everyone can carry a toyota tech with them but if you wheel with someone who has that kind of expereience might as well carry the goods to get the job done on the trail rather than causing more headaches figuring out how to come back and do it. My 2 cents.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:05 AM
Contributing Member

Clutch MC and SC have been problems for me, and they are small and easy to carry. Starter has also been a problem area. I second a small shotgun when possible, never know when you need to fend off bandits or animals.

As far as 4wheelin magazines. I subscribe to "Four Wheeler", and am on my second year. It has a good 5 pages on this exact issue. I can look up what issue it is, and copy the list if anybody wants to see it.

I ordered my ARB bull bar from 4WP, and they send me a free subscription to "Off Road Adventures" which has some very good tech help as well as a section called "Finess" that is something alot of wheelers I know need to read. I get free renewal on this one, not sure how long, but proabably as long as I want to renew my free subscription.

I've browsed "4wheel Drive and Offroad", "Peterson's 4wheel" and some other magazines at the rack, but never really took a good look. The above are my best suggestions.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:40 AM
tc
Contributing Member

She was wheeling my rig. Obviously been a while since she had to deal with the limited traction available from an open/open stock 4Runner on AT 33's...I don't think this is the right place to discuss the "why". LMAO

I think that your list is a bit overkill for non-remote muddy-wooded areas as you specified.

You need to decide what is likely to break and make a decision based on that. Also decide, what can break but still be driven out. For example, on my 3rz (98 taco)if the power steering pump goes, it will suck, but I will still be able to steer. So an extra power steering pump is not finding its way into my rig.
That's why I wanted to start the thread - to inspire some discussion about what people DO think is required. As an Eagle Scout, I'm going to err on the "prepared" side! I happen to agree with you about the power steering pump - that may be a "nice to have", not a "need to have" until you get up to 35's or bigger.

- 4 quarts motor oil (If you lose or drain 4 quarts, do you have something to put it in/clean it up with?)
Great point! Throw in some PIG socks or SuperMat.

- 5 gals gas fill up your tank before you leave, leave this at home.
What if you puncture the nice full tank? (Of course, I notice I don't have anything to repair the leak - put that on the list...)

- Timing belt Are you really going to rip apart your head on the trail and put in a new timing belt?
- Water pump Same question as above
Both these items are pretty cheap and small. Lose a timing belt or water pump and you are done. Period. Replacement does not involve removing the head on the 3.0. Takes an hour, maybe 2 - less time than it would take to tow you out, if it's even possible.

- Alternator Have yours tested, if it works well, stay out of large mud holes that might kill it, drive on!
This could also be a nice to have depending on how long the drive out is. You can drive a LONG way on just the battery if you limit use of the lights, HVAC fan, etc. You could also swap batteries with one of your partners rigs periodically to get out.

- Headlight bulb(s) Have some auxiliary lights on the truck, if you lose a headlight, deal with it, you are more likely to break these anyway when they are stored.
Maybe so - was kinda asking what would you do if all your lights burned out due to some voltage surge/short? I have the stock ones I replaced with PIAAs, so I have them in a nice box, and they take up no room.

- Axe/saw SHOVEL
- extra strap (you need to attach the other end of the hi lift to something if you have to use it as a hand winch)
Good points - others seem to have the same opinion.

- GPS classifies as "nice to have" not "need to have"
The thinking was if something terribly catastrophic happened and you had to call in Life Flight or such, this would be about the only way to get them good directions. It would go from "nice to have" to "life support critical" instantly.

It sounds like at least a couple people have been reconsidering what to bring - makes it worth any inconvenience of "reposting" a topic...
Old 01-17-2006, 11:32 AM

Keep in mind, you didn't ask for a recomendation for an expedition vehicle gone for weeks with noone around for thousands of miles or a more hardcore rock crawling type rig running a long-ish semi-difficult trail (like Dusy Ershim). You said non-remote muddy, woods. I have spent tons of time in non-remote muddy woods and never needed to replace the majority of what you named on the trail. I have never punctured my gas tank either, haha.
I think that unless you are running more hardcore stuff in remote areas, then it is more about armor and maintenance. If you junk is in good repair and well protected, you shouldn't need that stuff.

Molly, Blingtaco breaks his junk driving to the store, he should definitely have ALL of the above plus more! He happens to be the only one I have ever heard of who snapped a leaf spring, then DUCT TAPED IT. Everytime I see his truck in a picture, someone says they were stopped to fix, as you put it in an earlier post, "Blink Taco's" rig.

Another addition, an air compressor and a hole patch kit, what if you knock a tire off the bead or punture it? That is more likely to happen than your water pump randomly dying or your lights all burning out at the same time.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:47 AM
Contributing Member

Molly, Blingtaco breaks his junk driving to the store, he should definitely have ALL of the above plus more! He happens to be the only one I have ever heard of who snapped a leaf spring, then DUCT TAPED IT. Everytime I see his truck in a picture, someone says they were stopped to fix, as you put it in an earlier post, "Blink Taco's" rig.
LMAO Yup that's his reputation.... We got another cottora guy CCHark who also has the same problem but thankfully both Bling and CCHark are always prepared. (You should see what we've done with a few wratchet straps and bailing wire to hold the purchase point for a leaf that pealed away from the frame!!) Since my truck is starting to look like theirs I err on the side of carrying everything.

A side note. I would think what you carry may be affected if your rig is a daily driver. To shlep all that stuff in and out of your rig for a trail run vs daily driver is a pain. Mine is not my DD thus the reason I keep it all in there...

Quick Reply: What to carry while 'wheeling