Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Rhino, Line-x, linings FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 04:58 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Rhino, Line-x, linings FAQ

I am looking for "firsthand" experience and knowledge of the various lining products whether it be Rhino, Line-x, Herculiner, whatever.

I am going to do the entire interior floor, front to back, all of it in something, I just don't know enough about them all to make a good choice. If you call a place they give you a biased opinion obviously, so I was looking for some objectiveness.

Which do you have firsthand knowledge of?

What did you use it for?

Did you apply it or pay for it to be done?

How much was it?

How did it work?

Would you use it again?

I'm sure they can't all be the exact same thing or there would be some kind of copyright infringement, so the differences have to make one better than the other for my application.

Again, I'm not looking to do the exterior or anything exterior, this is strictly inside the 85 4Runner on the floor and perhaps up the sides a bit. I plan to strip the floor myself and then just let them prep it a bit and spray it in thick.

Please share your experiences good or bad, as I'm sure myself and others would like to hear.

This one's on me...

Old 06-20-2005, 05:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. Rhino Lining
2. Had the bed of my F150 sprayed
3. Paid to have it done
4. Believe it was between 3-400.
5. Worked great, things in the back didn't slide around. color eventually faded from a dark gray to a light gray but it wasn't a big deal. never got any weather damage.
6. Yes i would use it again.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
didnt you just color and replace your carpet??! i have the herculiner and its holding up great so far, the reason i went with it was because i couldnt see myself paying more for a product that is made to outstand the weather and sun. why do you need all that UV protection.... herculiner is crap when it is on the outside, but on the inside where it is protected it should be money!
Old 06-20-2005, 05:51 PM
Contributing Member

I have Line-X in the bed of my truck

What did you use it for?
To protect the bed from scrathes in the paint, rust, etc.

Had it done at a Line-X dealer

How much was it?
$400-$500 with the UV protectant sprayed over the top to ensure it doesn't fade. This is for the "over the rail" option.

How did it work?
I've had it for over a year now and it still looks like new. It's been through some abusive loads and no tears, chips, rips, etc.

Would you use it again?
Yes.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:55 PM
Contributing Member

i have line-x after looking at all the other stuff out there. I liked the texture on the line-x and it doesnt look as thick and sloppy. It looks like it came from the factory with it.

I had it professionally done from the dealer when I bought the truck so I dont know how much it cost.

It works GREAT. Its completely none stick, after it gets dirty if you run it through a power washer car wash its like new. Its practially indestructible, i've drug things across it with nails hanging out and it still likes brand new

I would definately get it again. Actually I wouldnt get anything else I like it so much.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:52 PM

Which do you have firsthand knowledge of? Line-X (my own); Rhino / Herculiner (others' trucks)

What did you use it for? Bed (Tacoma) - for general protection

Did you apply it or pay for it to be done? Line-X dealer-installed

How much was it? Approximately $375 (UTR, with coupon)

How did it work? Very well! Hard, tight finish. Resistant to dings and scrapes. Looks OEM after a year.

Would you use it again? Most definitely.

NOTE: Line-X is the 'hardest' of the linings I've personally inspected. Though it's not 'slick', the others are more 'non-skid' in texture. You might want to consider 'skid-ability' if you're gonna do an interior application.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Line-X, over the rail. I have only had it on my truck for a few monthes. I had it sprayed at the Local Line-X dealer. I didn't print their online coupon but I know the local line-x dealers will honour them. I got this bedline for general recreational type truck duties mainly (IE camping, fishing, etc.). My truck was stolen and the loser used my truck to steal crap. When I got it back pressured washed the bed (bedliner) as it was quite dirty. Thing came out as good as new.

A couple things influenced me into buying the Line-X. One was the cheaper price to that of the rhino (although I think it is as good or better quality IMHO - I paid $425 Canadian which is about $325 US - comparably the local Rhino dealer is about $600 for the same bedliner which is around $450-475 US). The second was I prefer the coating texture and look over the Rhino (I did my research as well as I have a good buddy who has a Rhino which was kinda lumpy looking). I like the firmer harder texture of the Line-X over the more rubbery Rhino. In some ways the Line-X is sort of in between the Rubbery Rhino Liner and a drop in bed liner if it's fair to say as far as texture goes. Things will slide a little bit more than the Rhino but I actually prefer the fact that it makes things easier to pull out if you have to lean into the back of the truck. I have also seen some guys locally who have line-x'd their 4x rigs on the fenders/rocker panels, etc. and it looked great!

Now here is the kicker that I found interesting - in my glove box after I got my bedliner was a letter to me detailing the warranty, etc. as well as 5 coupons. The coupons are for you to give to a buddy. Each coupon entitles a buddy to get $20 off a sprayed in bedliner on their truck from Line-X. On top of the $20 off for your buddy, Line-X also mails you a cheque for $20 for getting them the business (they put a # on the coupon and they have your name/address recorded in their database so they know where to mail it).
Old 06-20-2005, 09:11 PM

Line-X. Chose it over the Rhino b/c it goes on hot (as opposed to cold for the Rhino) and I'd heard of Rhino coatings getting hot out at the river, dust settling on them, and the owners never being able to get the embedded dust out.

What did you use it for?
The bed of my Dodge 1/2 ton.

Paid for it to be done.

How much was it?
$380 in 1999.

How did it work?
Great. Fantabulous. Wonderful. Fan-freaking-tastic. Even took the truck back because they had missed a small area and they took care of it w/o question. I helped in no fewer than 5 moves w/ no issues. Stuff doesn't slide around as easy (although, if you armorall it you can give a buddy a H#LL of a ride) and I never did get it to rip, tear or gouge.

Would you use it again?
Yes. Right now I've got a carpet kit in the bed but it's crossed my mind more than a few times as I've laid some scratches into the paint.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:22 PM
Banned

I was quoted $600 today by some guy that has the local license for Line-X...he needs the money so he'll have more than 2 teeth in his head.

For that much money I can do it myself 6 times over.

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 06-21-2005 at 03:25 PM.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:58 PM

Ive used Rhino for the bed of my truck:

works awesome, cleans up nice, had it for 2 years now and no fading. Paid $300 at dealership and its only in the bed and over the rail.

My brother has a 89' Cherokee. He had the entire outside of the car from the windows down Rhino lined (in red). Its been on for about 9 months now and has held up fantastic. We did all teh prep work and just brought it in to be shot and it cost around $500 or so. The body is obviously still prone to dents, but as far as scratches and stains and what not its indestructable. It cleans of easily with a power washer and some detergent and doesn't look half bad to boot.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:54 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit

What did you use it for?

How much was it?

How did it work?

Would you use it again?
1. Line-X
2. The bed of my pickup over the rail
3. Paid to have it done
4. $400 something
5. Great so far, no scratches pops out minor dents holds up good
6. Yes I'd use it again
Old 06-21-2005, 09:04 PM
Contributing Member

Stealing Darx's format

I have Rhino lining in my bed

What did you use it for?
To protect my bed from scratches and daily use.

Dealer

How much was it?
Just under $400 with the over the rail.

How did it work?
I've had it for about 2 years now and it's held up very nicely. It has faded to a mid level gray but I'm cool with that. I didn't get it because it looked pretty (it did too at the time).
I've spilled oils in there, I've had items rust, I even spilled a whole bunch of Armor-all once (was slippery for a while) - all the time it's held up like a champ.

Would you use it again?
Yes.

I was in the same position as you Brian and ultimately went with the Rhino because I liked their lining better (at the time didn't know that you didn't have to get the gritty version from Line-X), was a bit cheaper, had the lifetime guarantee, and I'd heard more good things re: Rhino than Line-X.
I think you're in good hands with either.

From the looks of it, Phalanx has had his Herculiner stuff hold up really well. If you haven't dismissed that idea maybe you should look into that again.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:58 PM
Banned

Saw a bed w/ line-x on it today and it looked super...jsut what I want...so I might jsut lay out the cash after all...can't be a lifetime warranty either.

Old 06-22-2005, 04:38 PM
Contributing Member

1. Which do you have firsthand knowledge of?
Rhino. Worked there for almost two years.

2. What did you use it for?
Everything from John Deere tractors to rocker panels, to the interior of a SWAT van.

3. Did you apply it or pay for it to be done?
Interestingly enough I didn't spray, the owner did. We only had a one-person SCBA back then.

4. How much was it?
1997 - 1998: Interiors were $300 if prepped ahead of time, $400 if we had to do it (light), and $600 if we had to do everything including primer. I could rattle off the prices if you need any more.

5. How did it work?
Awesome. The only problems I ever saw with Rhino were intentional abuse (like taking a jackhammer to the bed) and if there was a problem with a pump (the mixture ratio would be off, causing a goo instead of a hardening material). On the flip side of that, I tore out numerous Line-X liners from the back of trucks. Let me tell you something, it was a huge pain. The stuff would pull out in sheets. If we ever had a problem with Rhino, which was usually to repair a panel after a wreck or something, I would have to grind it out. It took forever. You be the judge.

6. Would you use it again?
Yes. Rhino is the originator of the sprayed on liner, and has a patented process that no one can duplicate. And about Rhino not being applied hot, well that's because it doesn't need to be. The chemical reaction of the two part process creates its own heat - hot enough to burn you.

So, for me, it comes down to where I was spraying the product and how the dealer treated me (some dealers can be real jerks). If it was going to be on light-duty bumpers or rocker panels and I could get Line-X done for a good price because it does look nice (nice and thin and a good texture), I would probably do it. If I was getting a truck bed, interior, or other high-wear area sprayed, I would go Rhino.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:10 PM
Banned

Thanks Christian.

How should I go about prepping the interios floor myself? I was told that if I strip it they'll have to primer, but would that "bond" better, even if it cost more?

The info is appreciated as this will make things "inside" much easier.

Old 06-22-2005, 06:16 PM
Contributing Member

Well, if you have a painted surface with no rust and a good bond, then leave it as is and scuff it up, or let them do it. We dealt with spraying Heeps mostly, and they were usually rusted out. So, we had to sand the crap out of them, take it down to the factory primer or metal, then prime it ourselves and spray.

So to answer your question, it really depends on the condition of your interior right now. If they encourage corner-cutting, I would hesitate to use them in the first place, especially if they are not warrantying the work.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
Well, if you have a painted surface with no rust and a good bond, then leave it as is and scuff it up, or let them do it. We dealt with spraying Heeps mostly, and they were usually rusted out. So, we had to sand the crap out of them, take it down to the factory primer or metal, then prime it ourselves and spray.

So to answer your question, it really depends on the condition of your interior right now. If they encourage corner-cutting, I would hesitate to use them in the first place, especially if they are not warrantying the work.
I've got fresh paint down and some of that "rubber coating" type paint too up front. Then you have the "mats" that are down on top of the floor pans. I know those suckers have got to come up.

It seems it might be worth it to let them sand/clean/prime it whatever so it is done right. I am NOT doing it w/ someone who won't warranty it for life...as I am a prick about stuff like that.

Old 06-22-2005, 06:27 PM
Contributing Member

Sounds like you are taking the right approach. You are going to really like it once it's done. Then you can submerge it in a bog and just hose it out when you get home.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
Sounds like you are taking the right approach. You are going to really like it once it's done. Then you can submerge it in a bog and just hose it out when you get home.
So should I try to do any of the prep work myself? It doesn't seem that it will save me that much money...and if it has a lifetime warranty...doesn't seem like I can go wrong.

Old 06-22-2005, 06:39 PM
Contributing Member

Does anyone know if you can spray a liner over spray sound deadening material? I like the durability but have heard interiors that are lined have horrible road noise.

Quick Reply: Rhino, Line-x, linings FAQ