The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

The "Official" 3rd Gen Gas Tank Relocation Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The "Official" 3rd Gen Gas Tank Relocation Thread!

Well, I'm starting a new thread for this project, because it's probably going to be pretty detailed. I've finally got the used gas tank from Joe Darlington for the price of Shoney's breakfast bar before our wheeling trip yesterday. It's got some rust on it, but it functions just fine.

So, from here, I need to figure out what all the tubing and wiring details of the Isuzu tank are, and then see how'll they'll match up to the stock 1997 wiring and tubing. I'll take some pictures soon, but stay tuned for lots of pictures and details of how this might possibly be a great way for us to really gain some serious undercarriage clearance by moving our 3rd gen gas tanks to the spare tire location using a tank that can be picked up for under $40 at our local junkyards. Plus it's a 21 gallon tank, which is more than our stock ones.

So, if anyone knows anyone that could tell me which tubes and wiring is what, I'd greatly appreciate it at this point.

Chris
Old 03-20-2005, 01:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the notice Chris. I will be sure to watch this thread.
Old 03-20-2005, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by seaflea
Thanks for the notice Chris. I will be sure to watch this thread.
I don't know for sure if it's all going to work, but I'll have all the details on here for sure.

Chris
Old 03-20-2005, 03:21 PM

What year Isuzu tank do you have? I have a skid for a late 80s 2 door montero that would fit between the fram rails but I want a tank that does't hang down. I was looking at local race shops for a fuel cell to put flush in my rear cargo area floor.
Old 03-20-2005, 03:37 PM
Contributing Member

i have a 32 gallon fuel cell setup right now in the rear cargo area, eventually im going to cut out the floor and recess it down as far as i can get it. I'll post up some pics for reference if anyone wants them. Setting it up was easy, but a little more pricey than using another vehicles stock tank.
Old 03-20-2005, 03:53 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks, I was thinking about the late 60s cars hat had the tanks in the rear. Havent measured the width yet but was thinking that tha might do.
Sorry for the hijack Chris.
Old 03-20-2005, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by NCSU-4runner
I'll post up some pics for reference if anyone wants them.
What's up Jermery hope the truck is going good. However are you gonna use the stock fill or the fill on the fuel cell
Old 03-20-2005, 07:37 PM
Contributing Member

for now i just fill it from inside the truck, when i recess it lower it might sit low enough to run a tube to the stock fill location
Old 03-21-2005, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Hyperlite
What year Isuzu tank do you have? I have a skid for a late 80s 2 door montero that would fit between the fram rails but I want a tank that does't hang down. I was looking at local race shops for a fuel cell to put flush in my rear cargo area floor.
It's out of a 1994 Isuzu Rodeo!

Chris
Old 03-21-2005, 05:26 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by NCSU-4runner
for now i just fill it from inside the truck, when i recess it lower it might sit low enough to run a tube to the stock fill location
correct me if im wrong, but isnt this a little bit dangerous?
Old 03-21-2005, 08:56 PM
Contributing Member

tank is grounded to prevent static buildup. Its no different from putting a fuel cell in a race car. This fuel cell is actually designed for race cars. The tank is completely sealed and has fittings which prevent leaks incase of rollover. I'll take pictures whenever i find my camera or get ahold of someone elses. I'm so lazy i cant bring myself to unpack the endless pile of boxes in my garage. (just moved into a new house)

Last edited by NCSU-4runner; 03-21-2005 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:40 PM

it's actually really safe to have like a FuelSafe cell in the car, they only very rarely bust, and I believe I heard that they break mainly because of a high ethanol content, but it's been a while since we looked into getting one for our racer...
Old 03-22-2005, 02:43 PM
Contributing Member

Well Chris remember if ya need any parts for it I got some I could donate from a 88 trooper. If ya get in a pinch let me know and I will look around see if I can help.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:09 PM

Most fuel cells have a bladder inside of the tank and are as safe or safer than a stock tank. In CA though you have to reuse the stock vented gas cap in order to pass smog which makes it somewhat tricky to setup legally.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by epic37311
Well Chris remember if ya need any parts for it I got some I could donate from a 88 trooper. If ya get in a pinch let me know and I will look around see if I can help.
Thanks man! I really appreciate that!

Chris
Old 03-24-2005, 02:02 PM

Well, today I pulled the stock tank, and did some rough test connections on the new 1994 Isuzu tank. And, after hooking it up the right way, it runs just like stock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, I don't have much gas in the tank, so I'm not 100% sure yet if the gas gauge works yet, but it does have the low fuel light on. So, if that's any indication that it might work, I'm very excited. Now, I have to go buy some tubing, tube clamps, and some wiring. I'm also going to get some gas to fill up the tank temporarily to see if the gas gauge works too.

Stay tuned to see if it all works!

Chris

P.S. I can't wait to get rid of that freakin' crossmember!
Old 03-24-2005, 03:22 PM

Mock Location Pictures!

Well, with a quick wire swap, the gauge reads perfectly. This tank is a perfect swap candidate thus far. Now to the potential location of the tank. Here's a few pics of it in it's possible location:

I have to check to see if the suspension will be able to cycle through it's normal range of motion, before I make this a concrete location for it. The only downside to this tank thus far is that if I want to mount it as is, with the tapered side towards the rear of the vehicle, the fill tube and vent tube are on the wrong side. I don't think it will be a problem, but we'll see. I want it as high clearance as possible, and right now, I have about 1" around the top and front side, and about 2 1/4" inches on the sides. This will leave me with plenty of room for the mounting brackets, and with my customer crossmember, the skid plate should be pretty easy to make too.

Chris

Last edited by ravencr; 03-24-2005 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:16 PM
Contributing Member

Looking good Chris!
Old 03-24-2005, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by dragr1
Looking good Chris!
Thanks man! I can't wait till this weekend to finish it up, cut the crossmember out of there, and make the skid plate.

Chris
Old 03-24-2005, 06:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ravencr
Thanks man! I can't wait till this weekend to finish it up, cut the crossmember out of there, and make the skid plate.

Chris

You need more skids than just that!

Quick Reply: The "Official" 3rd Gen Gas Tank Relocation Thread!