Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Valve body this Friday

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 03:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valve body this Friday

It's official. I am getting the valve body upgrade this Friday. Now after the supercharger upgrade and the URD fuel mods, do you guys/gals think I'll be able to spin 'em? I want to do it just once. The only time I did it was when I first had the S/C on, and the usual when the pavement is wet.
I am so excited.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you get the URD setup tuned? The last time I saw you posting about the work you're doing, your HP numbers seemed WAY low and Gadget was encouraging you to come down and let him tune it.

The valve body work will stop the tranny from slipping and thus get more power to the wheels, but it won't CREATE more power in the engine. So the question is kinda' "what happens now when you jump on it?". If the tranny is slipping in 1st gear, then firstofall STOP JUMPING ON IT! and then yes, the valve body work will help. But if it's not slipping, and you can't break the tires loose, then the VB work won't help.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:55 PM
Contributing Member

The URD kit is not tuned yet. I don't have a chance to get down there just yet. I'll hopefully be able to get down there in 2 weeks if he can do it too.
I'm in the middle of switching assignments in work, so I don't know what shift and days I will be working.
As far as slipping, I don't notice anything. Unless that is what is happening when I lose power sometimes. I'll be on the throttle about half way, and it just cuts out, kinda feels like when I hit the governor.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:47 AM

Who's doing your VB upgrade?

Chris
Old 07-29-2004, 06:17 AM

I hope you can get those tires to chirp! I have to live vicariously through you guys because I can't afford those mods at this time. Keep us posted, especially after your URD upgrades have been tuned. Man I wish I could do that!
Old 07-30-2004, 11:13 AM
Contributing Member

IT'S DONE. I just got home from IPT, and am very happy with the work done. although no tire spinnage, I am happy with the results.
John was a super nice guy who took time to explain things to me, and treated me more like a friend than a costumer. Now I just have to get some time to get to Gadget to tune out that fuel system. I know the power is there, just a matter of finding it.
And the problem of it cutting out is still there. ( driving along and try to accelerate and it cuts out like I hit the governor)
I am convinced it from something other than the trans though.
All in all I am very happy, that is, until I get the credit card bill.

Last edited by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK; 07-30-2004 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-30-2004, 01:48 PM

Congrats!

You've added a lot of life to your tranny!

How stiff did you have him make the shifts?

Originally Posted by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK
And the problem of it cutting out is still there. ( driving along and try to accelerate and it cuts out like I hit the governor)
Does it always happen at the same spot RPM wise? Or always within a certain _range_ of RPM? Or does it seem speed related?

When the power drops, does the engine actually cut out and stumble or just drop in RPMs and is still running?

Does the "event" clear itself? If you hold your foot at the same spot, will it come back around?

Is it more of an issue uphill or downhill or doesn't it make a difference?
Old 07-30-2004, 07:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by midiwall
Congrats!

You've added a lot of life to your tranny!

How stiff did you have him make the shifts?

Does it always happen at the same spot RPM wise? Or always within a certain _range_ of RPM? Or does it seem speed related?

When the power drops, does the engine actually cut out and stumble or just drop in RPMs and is still running?

Does the "event" clear itself? If you hold your foot at the same spot, will it come back around?

Is it more of an issue uphill or downhill or doesn't it make a difference?

1. He said it was the normal setup he uses for alot of 4Runners. You know it's done, But it's not what I thought it would be. I was expecting a more harsh shift. I like it though, very quick shifts.
2. I really don't know when it happens. I don't have time to look down at the gauges. It does stumble and is running. And it really doesn't come back around for about 30 seconds. I'll be going and it seems like a long time to me to get back to normal.
3. I only notice it on flat roads, as that is all I mainly drive around here. I did happen today comming down a hill on the highway from IPT.
Any Ideas?
Also I am going to give Royal Purple a try tomorrow a switch Mobil 1 at 3000-3,500 mile changes. I picked it up for $5/qt. Saved $6 with it on sale.
Old 07-30-2004, 08:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Almost sounds like the engine is starving for fuel ??? Maybe you need a better high flow fuel pump. Or have you changed your fuel filter lately ??

Just a thought.
Old 07-31-2004, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by 4Hummer
Almost sounds like the engine is starving for fuel ??? Maybe you need a better high flow fuel pump. Or have you changed your fuel filter lately ??

Just a thought.
I'd it's one of three things:

1) MAf sensor needs cleaning
2) Running too lean
3) Running too rich

Chris
Old 01-03-2006, 03:12 PM

4RUNNING FREAK, have you solved your problems? Does IPT allow you to bring the truck to them so they can do all the work?
Old 01-03-2006, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by nj4runner
Does IPT allow you to bring the truck to them so they can do all the work?
John (Mr. IPT) is on the list as Transdude so you can drop him a PM and ask, or write/call via the website:

http://importperformancetransmissions.com/

He's got an 800 #.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by midiwall
John (Mr. IPT) is on the list as Transdude so you can drop him a PM and ask, or write/call via the website:

http://importperformancetransmissions.com/

He's got an 800 #.
It's not the transmission. If you want harder shifts, go into the engine bay and tighten the throttle kickdown cable. That will firm up your shifts. I experimented with mine once John did it, and I was able to chirp second gear under full throttle acceleration, but I don't think it's good to be that harsh of a shift long term.

Chris

P.S. To answer the guys question above, John can do everything or you can bring in the VB. He did everything on mine!
Old 01-04-2006, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by ravencr
It's not the transmission. If you want harder shifts, go into the engine bay and tighten the throttle kickdown cable. That will firm up your shifts.
It firms up the shifts 'cause it increases the fluid pressure in the tranny which is what the valve body modification does. That cable is there so that the torque convertor and bands will lock up tighter at higher throttle settings since there will be more HP/torque at the crank. By pulling it tighter, you're prematurely increasing the fluid pressure in the tranny.

John can certainly get the torque converter to lock-up solid, and pull ALL of the slip out of the shift points, that'd be his "racing" option (or "10" on a 1-10 scale) but it's impractical to run that way for everyday driving on the street.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:40 AM

You can only make the shifts so hard with the stock clutch packs. If you want neck braking shifts you need to have your tranny rebuilt by John and tell him how hard you want it to shift. I have a fully built IPT tranny with TC and its great.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:18 AM

Just tightening the throtle kickdown cable was way more firm than I'd want to drive it everyday, that's for sure.

Chris
Old 01-05-2006, 09:10 AM

I have my cable mid way right now...when i got john to do mine its a bit more then what he usualy does.

I dont know why you cant burn out in the dry.....i just tap the gas pedel and away she goes.

John at IPT is the way to go!
Old 01-06-2006, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Weasy2k
I have my cable mid way right now...when i got john to do mine its a bit more then what he usualy does.

I dont know why you cant burn out in the dry.....i just tap the gas pedel and away she goes.

John at IPT is the way to go!
That's cause you worked hard to get it tuned right! Way to go!

Chris

P.S. Johnny, you're the one that bought all my stuff, right?
Old 01-06-2006, 06:41 AM

Hey Chris, I was laughing when i saw your name because its been a long time since i have seen you here (long time since i have been around so its prob just me )
It was a customer of mine who bought all your stuff and i installed and tuned everything up I have the same setup tho
Old 01-07-2006, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Weasy2k
Hey Chris, I was laughing when i saw your name because its been a long time since i have seen you here (long time since i have been around so its prob just me )
It was a customer of mine who bought all your stuff and i installed and tuned everything up I have the same setup tho
I thought it was something like that. I've been on here, but I've turned my rig into an off-road rig only, primarily, so no more high performance mods for me unless they help me off-road. I spend my time on the off-road threads mostly.

Chris

Quick Reply: Valve body this Friday