Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No more BJ Spacers

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 10:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
No more BJ Spacers

Out they come. The truck is no longer alignable with the BJ spacers, even after replaced A-arms and every other stupid steering component. It aligns w/out the spacers, but the IFS is too beat to make it with the different angle between the upper and lower ball joints. Can't get caster, or, if we get caster, camber goes out the window, or so i'm told.

EDIT: Spacers sold.

I was hoping someone could tell me a few rim-to-fender measurements from stock height trucks, so i can get as close to the stock height as possible, in the hopes that this thing won't wear out my brand new tires.

Also, i may be off here, but the Torsion bar adjustment bolts are all normal thread right?

Thanks.

Last edited by AxleIke; 02-18-2007 at 06:52 AM.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn, they seemed too good to be true, huh?

Guess it's time to start axle huntin'
Old 02-18-2007, 12:08 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$150 soild axel: http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/273298712.html

other parts:
http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/277268356.html
http://denver.craigslist.org/car/277590298.html
http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/276750391.html
Old 02-18-2007, 12:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how old are the bjs? let me know what you want soon as you figure it out
Old 02-18-2007, 06:49 AM

Im interested also if theyre gunna be considerably less then new ones.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:00 AM
Contributing Member

Spacers sold guys. Thanks.

Rocket, thanks for the links man, but i'm not going to swap.

Keeping the IFS, and going back to stock. I'm a bit bull headed, and refuse to swap until i can afford the swap i want, and i'm looking at probably 7-9k pretty easy, if i get everything cheap.

The guys align the truck via a line thru the upper and lower ball joints (i'm told), and the way the IFS horns are bent, the ball joint spacer puts just enough of a different angle between the two arms that it won't go in to spec. I have relaxed my T-bars, and was hoping someone could still get me the rim to fender measurements. Thanks dudes.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:09 AM
Contributing Member

Bummer, so did they ever have it aligned right when you first installed them or is this because everything is beat to hell? Just wondering because I have to get another alignment again soon before the DV trip. Mine was aligned great and just recently knocked it out and am eating my front driverside tire. Mine was originally done by hand w/ no machine, I don't know if it was within factory specs but it handled great and tire wear was perfect.

This may be a stupid question? ARe the factory specs even relevant? Since the spacers are lengthening the distance between the a-arm, will your caster and camber be out of the "factory specs" because you have changed the geometry over stock? Like I said this may be a stupid question.

Last edited by slosurfer; 02-18-2007 at 07:21 AM.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:44 AM
Contributing Member

No, it aligned before. It took a big hit the last carnage run i did. At the time, all my components were worn out, so i didn't notice, but it seems that it also did damage to the sub frame.

It is not a stupid question at all. I have no idea if the factory specs are relavant, but currently i don't have the tools to do the alignment by hand. I am getting them ASAP. The shops use the factory specs, which i think may be the problem. I've tried getting them to do it by look, but no go. They sit there and give me a bunch of bull?…?…?…?….

When i replaced the components, i didn't have time to get the spacers back in, so i said forget it, left them out, and it aligned exactly. As soon as the spacers went back in, no more alignment. I've been all over town, and all over the net, and i'm so sick of it, i'm just getting rid of them.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:46 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by deathrunner
Damn, they seemed too good to be true, huh?

Guess it's time to start axle huntin'
yeah...Actually, i've been running them against the better judgement of a number of people for a while. It seems that BJ spacers, when not cranked ALL THE WAY to stock, actually like to kill idler arms if you get in the rocks. Also, when i had it up higher, my upper balljoint took a beating too.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:49 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's why I tell people they have to find an "old school" alignment shop that uses the radius plates and bubbles, not the lasers...

I'll be interested to see if you notice the difference in flex or not! When we going 'wheeling?
Old 02-18-2007, 10:01 AM
Contributing Member

when i get another motor.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:54 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Another motor???? WTH happened?
Old 02-18-2007, 02:18 PM
Contributing Member

This piece of crap is still under warrantee, but we are jumping through hoops on it, and no success so far...I'm so pissed.

The engine is eating oil faster than an H2 guzzles gas, like a quart in 500-1000 miles. I'm huting for a wrecked limited 3rd gen, with a 5 speed. Take the locker, the engine, tranny and the computer and the rad out. Trash the rest. I've got a second case, just waiting on adapter stuff. Gonna be a long time.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Link to stock fender-rim distance on the page below:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...nBarAdjustment
Old 02-18-2007, 05:44 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks roger...I appreciate it!
Old 02-19-2007, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by tc
That's why I tell people they have to find an "old school" alignment shop that uses the radius plates and bubbles, not the lasers...

I'll be interested to see if you notice the difference in flex or not! When we going 'wheeling?

Now this is not true at all. The "laser" machines are more accurate, but they are soo easy to use any goob with a wrench can try to do an alignment. You need to find someone who knows that when the measurements are in the "green" a truck could still be out of alignment, but within specs.

Issac, if you need somone to align your truck with or without spacer I could do it for you. PM me.

My experience with the ball joint spacers is they increase the leverage on the stock idler arm causing it to bend. Then this will put the "toe" out of spec. Toe is the alignment angle that will wear tires out the fastest. My fix for the idler arm was to install the total chaos arm, it has held the alignment for 9 months now without any toe change. I switched to a bracket disaster lift to reduce the angle of the steering tierods and gain some height for tires and my alignment still stays where I put it.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mudbutt
Now this is not true at all. The "laser" machines are more accurate, but they are soo easy to use any goob with a wrench can try to do an alignment. You need to find someone who knows that when the measurements are in the "green" a truck could still be out of alignment, but within specs.

Issac, if you need somone to align your truck with or without spacer I could do it for you. PM me.

My experience with the ball joint spacers is they increase the leverage on the stock idler arm causing it to bend. Then this will put the "toe" out of spec. Toe is the alignment angle that will wear tires out the fastest. My fix for the idler arm was to install the total chaos arm, it has held the alignment for 9 months now without any toe change. I switched to a bracket disaster lift to reduce the angle of the steering tierods and gain some height for tires and my alignment still stays where I put it.
YESSSS... This is exactly my problem. I have a print out, "in the green", but dammit, its still out of alignment. PM SENT
Old 02-19-2007, 03:12 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mudbutt
Sorry for the confusion. My point was that if you find a shop without a laser, the tech has to be really good! The key is to find a TRUE alignment shop - not a general repair or tire shop IMHO. Those places are great once your alignment is close, but for the first alignment after the lift, you REALLY need someone who knows how MAJOR adjustments of one of the three factors (Caster, camber, toe) affect the others and is willing to take the time to work the alignment in, taking several iterations.

BamaChem posted an excellent thread on alignments...
Old 02-22-2007, 10:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got mine aligned today. Finally someone who claimed that they specialized in long travel setups. They set it up for me, and as I'm driving home I notice it is pulling one way. I bring it back and the guy tells me that "that's as close as it's gonna get, that thing is super straight". He tells me that it is probably the tires pulling. Yeah Right.

I pick it up and they tell me that the cam adjuster nuts backed off. Ummmm, after 2 miles of driving. No way. They tightened it now and I must say, a fresh alignment is a beautiful thing.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:13 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Yeah, I love the whole "radial pull" excuse, like it's somehow acceptable to have a vehicle that pulls to one side if it's due to the tires...

Quick Reply: No more BJ Spacers