95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

1st '03 4RUnner off road test

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2002, 12:26 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
1st '03 4RUnner off road test

Today Jon (TooEZgoin) picked me up and we took his rig off road to test it out.
Lets just say I was very impressed.

I know some don't like the shape of the new rig, and it may take some getting use to.
But the off road performance is there, just as much as the 3rd gens.

It might not sit as high, but we did not get hung up at all today, and we took it up a few steep hills.
Pics & vids can't capture the true steepness of the hills, but it was steep.

Coming down was a blast thanks to the Downhill Assist thing that it has.

UPDATE:
I had to also take the vids down from the YotaTech server
Each day the pics & vids have been getting over 2 GB of usage.
That is the normal for about one month here.
Use this URL:
http://www.toyotaoffroad.net/tando/0...03_4runner.htm

There are no vids anymore.
2 GB of usage every day is a lot considering the pics & vids were around 25 MB total.
Figure that out, that is a lot of downloads per day on those files.

FINAL UPDATE:
Here are the pics, and the vids are linked on the page.
http://www.pnw4runners.net/03_4runner/03_4runner.htm
Old 10-13-2002, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool MPEGs Thanks for sharing
Old 10-13-2002, 01:06 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

He he, I think I shared too much.
My site just shut down.

I made a mistake on the vid setting on the camera and took a lot at 5 MB each, instead of the normal 1.30 MB, so there are too many looking at my site right now.

If you can't get on now, try later.
Old 10-13-2002, 01:15 PM

Corey. Not to take anything away from the "test drive" you took with your buddy, but I think it is fair to say that anybody stepping out of a 1991 4Runner into a 2003 4Runner is going to be jazzed and pursuaded just by the fact that the 03 is new and it even has that "new car smell" still. It would be the same if a guy got out of his 1991 BMW or 1991 Corvette and sat in and rode in an 03 Beemer or an 03 Vette. I'm sure the 03 rides better, runs stronger, feels tighter, roomier, and smells better than your 91. And that is what is so cool about owning a BRAND NEW vehicle --- it just is soooo freakin nicer than something 12 years older. BUT.... The big diff between the 03 and all previous 4Runners is if you hopped into any brand new 1st, 2nd, or even some brand new 3rd generaration 4Runners you felt like it was ready to go off road. These 03 4Runners just don't look off roadish. I still think they look to urban and soccer mom'ish. But, thanks for the road test critique.

Whitey.

Old 10-13-2002, 01:33 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Yes, they do look a lot different, but it's not the looks that gets it up the hill, it's the running gear.

This thing went up a hill today that I thought for sure would get hung up on, or spin the tires.

Also going up the hill, then stopping, you don't roll backwards like you would in mine.
It holds you there for a moment, then lets you go slowly.

It's all tech that is over my head, but it does the job.
For someone wanting to fly down fire roads, and try out light trails without trying to be a rock climber, this rig does cut the mustard.

And yes, I still think the ideal 4Runner off the showroom floor would be like a 1st gen, but with a factory locker.
But that's not going to happen in the USA.
Not a strong enough market for it.

The soccer moms & urband junglites far outweigh us few that know what we think Toyota should be making.
Old 10-13-2002, 02:01 PM

Right on Corey. I would love to get back into those hills where you live with your rig and mine. You're an ok guy in my book. Come out to Colorado sometime and check out the Rocky Mountains.

Whitey
Old 10-13-2002, 04:50 PM
Contributing Member

OK, OK

This 'Runner does seem very capable. Perhaps I should withhold further critique until I have seen one in person.
Thanks for the pics, Corey. Won't be too much longer, and there will be snow up to your ass up there. Enjoy while you can!
Jim
Old 10-13-2002, 04:52 PM
Contributing Member

One More Thing, Corey

Do you have V-8 envy yet?
Jim
Old 10-13-2002, 05:01 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

He he, Jim, if Jon was not pressed for time to get to an engagement, we would have stopped by your place on the way back since we passed your place to show you the rig.

Yes, the V8 is very nice.
It is quiet too, but not for long.
Jon will be hitting up Stan the Magnaflow man very shortly
I can't wait to hear what the Mag sounds like on the V8.

Yeah, Jon put the pedal down on the long stretch of road after your place before we hit Enumclaw.
It picks up great.
Oh yea, I got to put the pedal down a bit too
The thing that impressed me the most was the handling.
Those logging roads as you know are steep and curvy.
I always have to slow way down for the corners.
This rig handled like it was on rails.

And get this. I brought the GPS along and his speedo was right on with the GPS all the time as far as MPH goes.

It was great seeing the snow up there. I am really getting the itch to go up soon and do some exploring of trails I have not been on yet.
We passed a lot of turnoffs that looked great, but ran out of time.

I am hoping to get my sliderz back soon on my rig so I can get up there before to long.
Old 10-13-2002, 05:01 PM

I might hate myself in the morning for saying this, but I'm really starting to like the 4th gen. Runner, especially after seeing the pics & vids. Thx Corey!
Old 10-13-2002, 07:20 PM

They are starting to look better. I saw a silver limited at the dealer, looked good. The only thing about all the special featues is it seems like it would take the fun out of driving. Pretty soon we will just have to sit there and tell the car where we want to go. just my 2 cents. I still like the 1st and 2nd generations.
Old 10-13-2002, 07:49 PM
Contributing Member

I'm impressed with the 03 thanks to those videos. It'd be nice to hill have those hill assist features on my 2002, but oh well. I guess this way I can learn to do it on my own, when I get another 4runner in another few years I'll let it do the driving for me.

Today I was curious about the new runners, so I went to my local dealer to look at 'em. On the way I just happen to see a 2003 runner, I was kinda surprised to see one so early. I must admit, even though I like the 3rd generation look better, they definitely do look better in person that in pictures. The one I saw on the road was an SR5, looked nice. So i got the the dealer, and the one I saw there was, again, an SR5, 2wd. It doesn't look much bigger that my 02. What I noticed was the the rear end seems to come up real high. Seems to have a better departure angle that mine (I've hit my rear tow hitch so many times while going off road). The inside is definitely nice. The one I sat in had a sunroof, but the roof didn't seem to low, as was said earlier in another post, and I'm 5'10''. I like all the new random features, like the center console that folds out to a tray. Not necessary, but nice. I still prefer my 02, but I guess after that, and seeing the stuff Corey posted, I'm overall impressed with the new runner, it's a worthy candidate for the next generation of 4runners.
Old 10-14-2002, 07:36 AM
Contributing Member

Nice vids as always Corey. Looks like you guys had a blast!
Old 10-14-2002, 09:30 AM
Contributing Member

Yes, very cool, thanks for the pics, vids and write up.
Old 10-14-2002, 05:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't get this hill climbing feature. Do people not have 2 feet?! One foot for the brake, and one for the gas.

Steve
Old 10-14-2002, 07:32 PM
Contributing Member

I want to see a magazine test of the 5 vs 8. I suspect that the 6 will be the best bet for on road and light off road use. The 8 will be the engine to have for trailer towing and tough trails.

My $0.02
Old 10-14-2002, 08:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Corey and Jon,

Very cool videos! I watched most of them, but not all of them. In regards to that Hill Assist thingy, a 5 speed has a similar capability called DOWNSHIFT!

Seriously, though I'm not thrilled w/ the looks, so far my skepticism has been minimized by your trip report. I do think Toyota could have gone in the direction of the Xterra, but that's just me.

When I looked at some interior shots, something really bugged me about the interior center console...I was thinking "Where have I seen that?" And it finally clicked today where i saw it before:

In anycase, nice buy Jon. I hope you enjoy your new 'runner!

Bob
Old 10-14-2002, 08:17 PM
Contributing Member

Very cool vids Corey. I talked with Jason B about the new '03 and I asked him a question that maybe ya'll can shed some light on. Since the V8 in the new 4Runner is the same as the Tundra and Sequoia, there is a supercharger available. If I were to custom order one (in a couple years of course) from the factory, would they install the headers and supercharger as it is being built or would the dealer do it all once it was delivered. Seems to me like it would be so much easier to do it at the factory but Jason said they won't do it and they will only do the install at the dealer. Anyone know? Later.

Matt
Old 10-14-2002, 09:17 PM

Originally posted by Bob_98SR5
Corey and Jon,

Very cool videos! I watched most of them, but not all of them. In regards to that Hill Assist thingy, a 5 speed has a similar capability called DOWNSHIFT!

Seriously, though I'm not thrilled w/ the looks, so far my skepticism has been minimized by your trip report. I do think Toyota could have gone in the direction of the Xterra, but that's just me.

When I looked at some interior shots, something really bugged me about the interior center console...I was thinking "Where have I seen that?" And it finally clicked today where i saw it before:

In anycase, nice buy Jon. I hope you enjoy your new 'runner!

Bob
LOL very funny comments Bob, that Battle Star Gallactica thing had me rolling. I wish they would have went head up with the Xterra and Rubicon too. Toyota has SO MANY SUV'S in their line up that they should have went another direction with the 4Runner instead of adding yet another plush SUV in the lineup.

Anyways congrats Jon on your new purchase, it is a nice vehicle!