Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Metra 70-1761 and new Pioneer stereo install

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Metra 70-1761 and new Pioneer stereo install

I just picked up my '99 4Runner two weeks ago, and registered for this forum today. Great site, and just starting to dig into all the info available.

My first rig update is a new stereo with Bluetooth. I've purchased the Pioneer MVH-X380BT single din. On this site I learned about the dual antennas, and how to connect via a Y-adapter, etc. I should have those pieces by this weekend. In the meantime, I decided to get started soldering the Metra 70-1761 and Pioneer harnesses together.

All went well, but I do have a question about the two black Ground wires.

As I understand it, the longer Ground from the Pioneer harness is supposed to be connected directly to the auto body. What I'm not sure about is what to do with the Ground coming from the Metra. Does that need to connected somewhere? Or, are the two Ground wires meant to be soldered together, as I've done with all the other wires?

I've attached a photo of what I've got so far.

Also, just to make sure, I labeled the blue wires which I believe are what controls the motorized antenna. I've seen quite a few posts where people were having issues with the antenna not working properly when switching between the radio and other sources. In the Pioneer manual, it says for this wire "Connect to the system control terminal of the power amp [I'm not adding a separate amp] or auto-antenna relay control terminal".

Since the 70-1761 seems to be the go-to adapter for stereo installs, I'm hoping someone who has gone this route will confirm that I'm on the right track. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:15 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Welcome to Yotatech! There is a lot of information here. I am still learning new things here everyday.

I would personally just cut the Pioneer ground wire to length and solder it up to the Metra harness. The factory radio had that ground to begin with so why not just stick with it? (Assuming that the original wires are not hacked to pieces)

Others may have other opinions on this, but if you are sticking with the factory wiring for everything else in this harness, the factory ground should be perfectly fine.

I have installed a Pioneer deck on my brother's car using the factory ground and a Metra harness with no ill effects.

Theoretically having a short, dedicated ground to the body would give a better electrical path, but you would need to make sure you are getting pure metal to metal contact (ie. no paint or gunk between ground wire terminal and body) and placed where it will not get pinched, mistaken for another wire, shorting out if it is too close to another wiring harness, etc.

Now, if you were creating a system from the ground up using all new wires, speakers, subs, amplifiers, etc, then running your own ground would be a no brainer.

By the way, good job on soldering and using the harness! I have seen too many radio installs go wrong when spliced with loose butt conectors and/or electrical tape.

I cannot help much with the electric antenna because I only have experience with manual ones.

Last edited by old87yota; 01-07-2016 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, old87yota. So I guess what you're saying is that grounding can be handled either entirely thru the harness itself by connecting the two wires -- or via the auto body itself by using the ground wire from the Pioneer connector, and ignoring the one on the Metra side. Correct?

I think I'm getting confused because a year or two ago I hooked up a Kenwood stereo in a '96 Camry. I probably used the same 'universal' Metra connector, but don't recall. I do remember grounding directly to the auto body, but without any left over wires on either side. It's that Camry that I sold when I got the 4Runner, so no way to go back and look. Stereo worked fine, tho, so I guess I'll hope lightening strikes twice.

The Camry didn't have a motorized antenna, so that's all new.

Thanks again.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:10 AM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Originally Posted by PB&J
Thanks, old87yota. So I guess what you're saying is that grounding can be handled either entirely thru the harness itself by connecting the two wires -- or via the auto body itself by using the ground wire from the Pioneer connector, and ignoring the one on the Metra side. Correct?
Yes, that is correct. Soldering both ground wires together will be just like soldering any of the other wires up from one harness to the other just like you have done with all of the other wires! No leftover wires!