Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got Winch??

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 12:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Got Winch??

I was up at my friends farm today and when I pulled in my first thought was...he bought a new truck?

Turns out he got a steal of a deal on a heavy duty bumper for his 1986 F250. It has a bay for a winch in it. Originally it was on a Bronco.

It turns out it had a Warn (8000lb ?) winch in it (way too small for a full size diesel and after chatting my friend offered it to me in exchange for some computer work and some help with alarm and stereo for his hot rod and of course some grunt work when the engine goes in.

The winch works but doesn't have the cable control or clutch lever so I may buy a Ramsey remote one or build a in cab control system and fab something up to put it in free spool.

I am going to take the Warn apart and clean it up and then sand and repaint it.

He he Cheap is good... almost free is better!

Last edited by Mack; 06-04-2003 at 04:22 AM.
Old 06-04-2003, 02:47 AM

Update

After checking with Warn on the numbers on the winch (no model just serial numbers and 1 set of stamps on the gear housing) I found out that the winch is actually an M5000 not an 8000. I figure it should still be strong enough for my 1st gen.

I couldn't get the free spool to work properly so after doing some research on the net I decided to try a rebuild.

I ended up pulling all the gears a apart and found that at some point the winch had been sunbmerged in water and that the Ring Gear was siezed which was why it wouldn't declutch.

After soaking in degreaser then in penetrating oil overnight I managed to get everything apart and underwent the process of cleaning it up. I used emery cloth to get some corrosion off the ring gear and gear housing then repacked everything with MolySlip grease.

Everything is now back together on the gear side of the winch and it works super smoothly...better than new.

Still left to finish is some touch up paint and scraping and painting the Bosch motor, greasing and re-spooling the cable, cleaning up the solenoid box and building the custom controller.

I promise when I am done I will post a writeup and of course lots of pictures.

Last edited by Mack; 06-04-2003 at 04:26 AM.
Old 06-04-2003, 05:56 AM
Contributing Member

Good score there Mack.
Are you going to change out your bumper?
Old 06-04-2003, 06:05 AM

At this point I am going to stick with the Warn/Toyota built bar that I have but I may eventually get an ARB
Old 06-04-2003, 05:15 PM
Contributing Member

This is getting off-topic, but seeing Mack's reference to emery paper to remove rust reminded me that I don't recall seeing any reference to electrolytic rust removal on the Toyota bulletin boards I frequent.

I've used it on old iron or steel tools with good results. (As a collector, I try not to use it on real collectibles where it can ruin the value.) It can get rust out of places (like gear teeth or other knooks and crannies) that are tedious or darned near impossible to reach with abrasive methods. If you want to try it, its REALLY important to connect your charger the right way! Get it wrong and you're actually rusting away the wrong piece of metal. As a word of caution, I personally wouldn't try it on anything plated or painted where you want to keep the plating and/or paint. In my experience, it can take paint off, but that may have been because it wasn't well attached in the first place, but don't take chances if you want the paint to stay.

Here's a link to a site that describes the process with some good pictures of the results as well as some links to other sites.electrolytic rust removal

As mentioned in the article, it won't put metal back, but it is a good way to get rid of rust without removing any other metal to remove the rust and can help free up rusted fasteners.

Alan
Old 06-15-2003, 10:40 AM

Interesting read ... thanks
Old 06-16-2003, 10:38 PM

Well phaze 2 is complete...the winch has been rebuilt, new brushes installed, completely stripped and repainted.

Today with the help of a friend I got it remounted.

Next is the in cab controls which I am working on tonight and the custom cable controller that I am going to work on tomorrow and then wire it up.

Attatched is the picture of the winch when I got it.
Attached Thumbnails Got Winch??-warn1.jpg  
Old 06-16-2003, 10:39 PM

Phase 2 complete

And here it is mounted ready for wiring
Attached Thumbnails Got Winch??-warn2.jpg  
Old 06-18-2003, 03:14 AM

As promised the write up is now on line for you.

Click here for rebuild page

Page 2 isn't up yet but will be this week.