Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Old 03-30-2016, 11:06 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Toyota Tacoma Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Dome Lights won't come on for Driver's side door, missing part/relay?

Old 04-13-2013, 04:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Dome Lights won't come on for Driver's side door, missing part/relay?

Ok, this one's been bugging me for a long time now. I should first state that I own a 91 Toyota Pickup, extended cab SR5. No power windows, locks or cruise control. Apparently different packages came with different parts.

When I open the driver's side door, the dome lights do not come on. Passenger's side works just fine. I checked the "courtesy switch" per the FSM, works just fine.

If I remember correctly, the first time I noticed it not turning on was after I had the fuse box replaced. After that, the driver's side door would not turn on the lights. I noticed, however, I don't have the Integration Relay on the backside of the fusebox (some say that this contains a buzzer needed for to complete the circuit for the lights). You'll notice that my fuse box looks "thin":

Compare this to a pic of an '89 where nmsnoman shows how to disable the buzzer (located inside the integration relay):

Any thoughts? If I am missing the integration relay (wouldn't surprise me.. mechanics have messed up my truck before), is that my issue? I just put LED's in to make it brighter... and I'd really like them to work.

I also noticed two connectors that don't go to anything. The first one is located just to the left of the steering column, coming out from behind the air duct:

I checked the "black buzzers" that go on up to 89 models but the prongs don't match. Not sure what it's for.

The second is located just behind the cigarette lighter:

I don't have a light reminder relay or buzzer in my truck, perhaps someone removed it? Anyone know if this is why the lights won't turn on?

Any experience or thoughts are welcome. I'm stumped.

Also, if anyone has a wiring diagram for the Lighting System in a 91 pickup, I'd much appreciate it. I've looked at the one online but the variance in years makes me think it's not accurate.

Last edited by Gamefreakgc; 04-13-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:17 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Does the key cylinder light work?

The Key Cylinder Light, the Lights-on reminder, the key reminder and the dome light all work off the LH door switch, through the integration relay. As far as I can tell from my electrical schematics, if the integration relay is pulled out (connector I11) the RH door switch may connect but the LH (Driver's) will not.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
It doesnt sound like you are sure if it worked before the fuse box replacement. I am a little rusty on the 89-95s but think that part has not changed. The black box is about 6 inches above the brake pedal. If it is disconnected or removed as is most likely the case. Your dome light wont work on the drivers side. I have seen a couple of exceptions and am not sure which years it is but most likely the black buzzer box is missing. The circuit runs thru it and alot of people disconnect the box not realizing it controls the dome light.

Should be easy to find in the boneyard and if you want to lower or disable the buzzer I show in my thread how to do it. Link>>> https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post51724051

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I thought I was going to fix a problem and created another. I always got tired of hearing my door buzzer alarm and first thing I did was find it under the Steering Column and disconnected it.

All was fine until I noticed that I did not have a dome light when I opened the drivers door. Passenger door worked and so did the switch on the cab. First thing I thought was the door switch was bad or dirty or corroded. I checked it out and it was good.

Bend the tab out a little so as not to make contact. If you ever want to hear it again, it can be bent back in.

Here is the Buzzer Box under the Steering Column.

Just bend the tab out from the bottom a little bit.

Here it is going back together. There are 2 tabs to the cover that I just pryed a pocket knife. Life is good now.

Apparently this is a fairly common problem. What I found on different threads is that a lot of the door switches and buzzers get removed. This was as far as I had to go to troubleshoot. Also I did find that by bending the tab you can control how loud the buzzer is.

Last edited by Terrys87; 04-14-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:47 PM

Thanks for the tip about the buzzer, but I searched a bunch about the "black box buzzer" and they stopped production of those after 89. I don't think my truck had one, or at least that's the impression. I went to a couple junk yards looking at 4Runners and pickups 91 and newer and none of them had the buzzer. I didn't think to check for the integration relay, didn't know it could be my issue.

The plug that goes into the integration relay just instead goes into the back of the fuse box. It's not disconnected, but it might be too much of a co-incidence that when I got the fuse box replaced 3 years ago is when I first noticed the issue.

Scope, the key cylinder light does not work. The lights-on reminder does not work either and of course, the dome light doesn't work. You might be on to something because the RH door does turn on the dome lights (I don't think it would ever turn on the others anyway).

Does anyone have 91 (give or take a year) who has the "courtesy" package with the door lights and could post a picture of the side of their fuse box? Or a wiring diagram for a 91 would help.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:21 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
The first plug couldbe one of these but, the first one isn't where I expect it to be, and the second one it's not the right color.
Code:
A11 A/C, A11 3vze Pin 8 W-B gnd
C16 Wipers Pin 1 W-B gnd, C16 Horn Pin5 G-R to horn
Do you an AC system, and do the horn and wipers work?

The second plug I couldn't find any eight pin plugs in that configuration, but I'm going off the 90-95 4runner wiring. Could maybe be for the power antenna relay (IIRC) it's generally in the right spot and configuration.

I'm realtivly certain you're misssing the integration relay and shouldn't be, it's pretty integral to the whole system there. You'll need to source a new one and figure out what was done to by-pass it, or just locate the drivers side switch and connect it up with the passengers side one. The later won't function completely as intended but atleast the lights will come on.

I don't see a "Courtesy" package but the light reminder, according to the brochure, is part of the "Cruise control" package. Might be worth it for you might not, you can get a tech pass from toyota's tech site and you'll get the fancy little diagram of what plugs live where along with all the wiring diagrams.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:54 AM

Yes, I do have an AC and the horn and wipers do work. I don't have a power antenna, so that would make sense for 7-pin plug due to it's proximity to the radio. It doesn't have the original stereo so perhaps this plug wasn't needed anymore (or never used, newer Toyotas often have the plugs installed anyway whether you upgrade it or not).

My fuse box doesn't have the integration relay but the large connecting plug just goes right in the back of the fuse box in the same location that it would plug into if it had the relay. It's like the relay was part of an upgrade since most components still work without it. I don't have cruise control though... that's the thing that's got me. Maybe for 91's, the SR5 Xtra cabs came with the door lights and buzzer standard but they kept the same parts?

I'm going to try and get out to the junkyard again soon and see if I can get my hands on a fuse box with the relay. From what everyone is suggesting, I think that's my issue. I'll keep looking.

Last edited by Gamefreakgc; 04-15-2013 at 06:58 AM.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:05 AM

Getting an integration relay would be the way to go, but if that doesn't work there may be a fix. As you've noted, what I called I11 is probably more commonly called "C and D", on each side of the integration relay. In your case C is just plugged into D, rather than either side of the integration relay.
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b.../4lighting.pdf

From the diagrams I have, it looks like the Passenger door switch is on pin 12, which goes straight through the integration relay to pin 12 on the J/B side. The Driver's door goes to pin 10, which connects inside the integration relay through a diode to pin 12.

So if you can't find the integration relay at a price you can swallow, jumpering the wires to pins 10 and 12 together will probably restore your dome light.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:27 AM

I didn't even think of that... that's a great idea. I'll consider that plan B, since I'd also like the headlight reminder to work. I commute before dawn and sometimes can't see if my lights are on or off when I arrive at work and I've killed the battery that way a couple of times.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you checked to make sure the door switch is actually working or is plugged in?
It has one wire coming from it that will ground out when the door is open

You might have a bad switch...
Old 04-15-2013, 09:50 AM

Yes, that was the first thing I checked. Switch works per FSM tests and is connected. The fact I had also lost other functionality as well told me that there's more going on than just the switch.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:19 AM

Well, now I'm stuck again.

I narrowed down a part number for the Integration Relay for my truck and it looks like there are two options:

82641 RELAY, INTEGRATION NO.1
82641‑89101 RN10*, 110, 13*, VZN10*, 110, 13* 1 $213.90
82641‑89102 RN101, 110, 13*, VZN100, 110, 13*..SR5, ILLUMINATION PACKAGE 1 $214.29

Anyone know which one I need? To recap the features I have/don't have:

1991 P/U SR5 Xtra cab
Door jamb "courtesy" switch
Map lights (illimination package?)
No power lock, windows
No cruise control

It looks like 4Runners have four different part numbers for the integration relay (the most likely donor vehicle from the junkyard) but it also includes the two listed above. I'm leaning towards the 89102, can anyone deny/confirm this is the right one?

Last edited by Gamefreakgc; 04-15-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:23 AM

How did you get those part numbers?

If you go someplace like http://www.toyotapartszone.com/, you have the option of entering your VIN. Using your VIN is always the most reliable way to identify the correct part (even at, especially at, the dealer).
Old 04-15-2013, 12:17 PM

I got them off www.toyodiy.com. I entered my VIN, it's been spot on every time. Toyotapartszone shows two options as well. There's a standard one, 89101 and then the 89102 for the "Illumination Package" again.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:21 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
No help with the part numbers sorry. Best I can tell is one has a light reminder buzzer the other doesn't. Have a look at the 1991 model brochure over at toyotareference.com, I forget which package it's part of it was a v6 sr5 option part of some other package "Light reminder" or similar.

Looks like you have the 80's era relay 82641-89102 82641-89101 88-92

The other two that pop up are

82641-35100 (w/ Ill) and 82641-35090 (w/o) 91-93 models

You might also be missing a 85969-89102 RELAY, LIGHT REMINDER

Old 04-16-2013, 07:32 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I don't have the "Cruise Control" package mentioned in the brochure, so I'm pretty confident it's the standard integration relay I need. The connector plug (7-prong) I have near where the light reminder relay would be does not fit the part number you gave (4-prong), so I think I never had one.

Thanks for the help on this one, I'll let you know how the treasure hunt in the junk yard goes today.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:22 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Gamefreakgc
When I open the driver's side door, the dome lights do not come on. Passenger's side works just fine. I checked the "courtesy switch" per the FSM, works just fine.

Any thoughts? If I am missing the integration relay (wouldn't surprise me.. mechanics have messed up my truck before), is that my issue?
Dome light does not need integration relay nor light reminder relay to work. Don't complicate matters by adding more parts until you have fixed the simple problem

Wiring is simple.
Dome Light Bulb gets +12V from dome light fuse (regardless of ignition status). We already know you have that because passenger side works. Problem must be from negative side of your dome light bulb, through wiring, through plastic connector, via door switch, to ground.

When you checked your door switch, did you check the component alone OR did you really check whether it opens or closes connection to chassis ground? I suggest you check as a system according to this:
Name:  Schem_Dome_Clock_Circuit_Trace_zpse870e625.jpg
Views: 6320
Size:  94.6 KB

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 04-16-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:26 PM

RAD4runner -

What year is that schematic for? The 1993 manual shows an integration relay in the driver's side courtesy switch circuit http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b.../4lighting.pdf GameFreakGC says he has the connectors for the integration relay on his '91. Your schematic shows the driver's side switch isolated by a pair of diodes (with pin call outs), but I can't tell from the schematic where those diodes are found. (or missing)
Old 04-16-2013, 05:35 PM

Yeah, thanks for the wiring diagram but it's not accurate. I just tore apart the electrical, the Black and Black-White wires go from battery, to 15A fuse in engine bay (schematic says 7.5A) to dome light, to steering column, to fuse block, through "C" connector to courtesy light switches.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:10 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by scope103
RAD4runner -
What year is that schematic for?
Yeah, thanks for the wiring diagram but it's not accurate.
Sorry guys, Since no 1991 Schematic was posted, it's same as Grego's 22RE, but I guess I'm wrong (removed 2RE schematic to avoid confusion)

Originally Posted by scope103
Getting an integration relay would be the way to go, but if that doesn't work there may be a fix...
From the diagrams I have, it looks like the Passenger door switch is on pin 12, which goes straight through the integration relay to pin 12 on the J/B side. The Driver's door goes to pin 10, which connects inside the integration relay through a diode to pin 12.
So if you can't find the integration relay at a price you can swallow, jumpering the wires to pins 10 and 12 together will probably restore your dome light.
I didn't even think of that... that's a great idea.
Agree!

If I remember correctly, the first time I noticed it not turning on was after I had the fuse box replaced. After that, the driver's side door would not turn on the lights.
...If it worked before and something just broke (not originally missing), maybe it is already be wired as Scope103 suggests? Like below?
Name:  Dome_Light-Copy_zpsb1511eba.jpg
Views: 11990
Size:  98.5 KB

Simple voltage check suggested in pic would verify that.

Re: Light reminder
...I've killed the battery that way a couple of times
Same issue I had. My 1986 did not have the light reminder relay so that was the first mod I did. It would connect to your stock circuit as indicated in above.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 04-16-2013 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Erratum & Added Details
Old 04-17-2013, 11:19 AM

I checked voltage yesterday as well, forgot to post.

When doors are closed, passenger side at connector has 12V. Driver's side has 0 volts (no surprise there). Also, with doors open, from connector to connector, passerger side has 12V, driver's side has 0 volts. That's why I initially dug through the wiring but it was getting way too complex for me to figure out where it was losing the voltage so I stopped.

So let me make sure I'm reading this right, if at the connector "D", the big white connector that goes into the Fuse Block (normally integration relay on back of fuse block) I remove D10 and jump to D12, that should allow the driver's side to work?

Hoping to get out to the junkyard tomorrow, too busy last few days.

Last edited by Gamefreakgc; 04-17-2013 at 11:27 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dome Lights won't come on for Driver's side door, missing part/relay?