Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22re Coolant hoses? - 1st gen 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 10:40 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
22re Coolant hoses? - 1st gen 4runner

I learned the hard way tonight that there's a small coolant hose that runs from the thermostat to the intake. I'm now determined to seek out and replace all of the coolant hoses on my 4runner before they bite me again.

So my question is... aside from the radiator hoses and heater core hoses, what other coolant hoses are weaved into the block and intake? I want to make sure I get them all this first time around. Are any of these dealer only, or can I use bulk heater hose for all of them?

As for my hose burst tonight. I was lucky that it was long enough that I was able to cut out the bad section and shorten it to get home.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:53 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

What Hose?/

There are the 2coolant hoses to the Aux Air valve But none coming off the thermostat but given the age who knows. As the thermostat is mounted to the intake

Don`t forget to check the steel pipes and all the heater hoses

one needs to be careful using bulk hose to make sure not to get kinks.

When I replace a hose I use Silicone any more
Old 12-29-2011, 11:09 PM

Thanks I may have mispoken slightly. It runs a small loop and connects to the intake by the throttle body. It was dark and I'm learning my way around the 22re, so it looked like the other end was somewhere near the thermostat housing. Is that the same as the aux air valve?

What steel lines are you referring to for coolant? My rear heater has been disconnected for the time being, so those are safe for now.

Is there any other bypass hose around the water pump? I'm looking for a count so I know I get them all. Also, what is your source for silicone hoses?
Old 12-30-2011, 02:47 AM

Red face

It may be some one has all ready disconnected the AAV and that is the hose you had problems with. It is mounted under the throttle body Some use a water heated throttle body but I don`t remember where I saw that

I was talking to the 2 steel lines/pipes that run along the left and right sides of the engine Hard to see because of being under the manifolds.

Silicone Hose depends how much I need I buy from McMaster-Carr or the local Truck Parts Place
Old 12-30-2011, 04:39 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
OEM Toyota hoses made and shaped to fit is all I use on anything that holds fluid.
Aftermarket stuff is junk by comparison.

:wabbit2:
Old 12-30-2011, 06:19 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
There is a hose that goes from the back of the thermostat housing to the AAV. Go to toyotapartseast.com and enter your vin #. Then go to the fuel injection system and you will see all of the air and coolant hose that run off of the throttle body. I have no idea why it's in the Fuel Injection system part, but it is.

I also agree, go OEM and it will fit the first time. Plus it's not that much more than the junk at a auto parts store...
Old 12-30-2011, 07:23 AM

Thanks for all of the rapid replies. I'm definitely going to dig into this today. As for the coolant pipes mentioned above, it looks like there are at least two that feed the heater hoses? Are there others?
Old 12-30-2011, 08:01 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by stanz
Thanks for all of the rapid replies. I'm definitely going to dig into this today. As for the coolant pipes mentioned above, it looks like there are at least two that feed the heater hoses? Are there others?
I have no idea if you have an earlier model 22re or a later model 22re (rule #1 when asking for help, always list what you have). It depends on where your IACV is, on the underside of the throttle body or mounted lower under the throttle body. The mounting location will determine what hoses you need. Like I said, look up your specifc model with your vin# on the link I provided. It has diagrams and it's pretty self explanatory...
Old 12-30-2011, 08:15 AM

Thanks again. I have an 86 4runner (production 10/85). I went to the link but didn't see the diagrams. I'll look again.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by snobdds
There is a hose that goes from the back of the thermostat housing to the AAV. Go to toyotapartseast.com and enter your vin #. Then go to the fuel injection system and you will see all of the air and coolant hose that run off of the throttle body. I have no idea why it's in the Fuel Injection system part, but it is.

I also agree, go OEM and it will fit the first time. Plus it's not that much more than the junk at a auto parts store...
Great thread. I changed my thermostat and still had a leak... After a day or so of driving and poking around I discovered that it was this exact bypass hose, that was leaking!

Here's a pic of the diagram... You have to click on the "MORE INFO" button...

Attached Thumbnails 22re Coolant hoses? - 1st gen 4runner-fuel-injection-diagram.png  
Old 05-19-2013, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by dluvlady
Great thread. I changed my thermostat and still had a leak... After a day or so of driving and poking around I discovered that it was this exact bypass hose, that was leaking!

Here's a pic of the diagram... You have to click on the "MORE INFO" button...

Great diagram, dluvlady. I'm bookmarking that for future reference. Thanks!
Old 05-19-2013, 12:05 PM

Hey, you're welcome!
Old 01-22-2016, 03:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Replacement bypass hoses/heater hoses

I know the previous questions were answered, but for future references you can find most every coolant hose for the 22re at NAPA. They were able to order everything for me and saved me a s*$# ton of money compared to the two places you likely have already looked (lc, 22re performance). They order Molded GATES ECR hoses which are quality, and if anyone wants to correct me on that, feel free. They are molded exactly like oem parts, with a few only needing slight trimming to fit. From my visual inspection they are triple layered, and have great rigidity. Very similiar to OEM hoses.

They were able to get all heater hoses, radiator, and bypass hoses for me. Just give them the anatomical description (Ie. heater to pipe, pipe to valve, etc)
http://www.gates.com/products/automo...d-coolant-hose
Attached Thumbnails 22re Coolant hoses? - 1st gen 4runner-img_3741.jpg  
Old 01-22-2016, 03:54 PM

Good to see this thread is still helping people. I've learned a ton since I picked up my 4Runner 4 years ago and have overhauled all of the functional systems on it since that time... fuel, cooling, engine mgmt, hvac, suspension, etc.

Since starting this thread, I've replaced all the hoses and upgraded all the heater pipes to stainless. I also upgraded from the early style intake plenum throttle body to the later style.

Everything is captured in my build thread.

I was a newbie to Toyotas and 22REs when I started but I feel like I've done and know most things about these vehicles now. Surely I could not have done this without this community. Great people willing to invest their time and energy into helping others with their passions (and sometimes frustrations).

Thank you all! Please let me know how I can support you in the future!
The following users liked this post:
Santos77 (02-09-2020)
Old 08-16-2016, 04:38 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Would oem contoured radiator hose solve this?

Hi folks!
It looks like the shop that rebuilt my engine used upper radiator hose that is not OEM.
  1. It is too short.
  2. It lacks the proper curvature to clear the intake air duct, AND
  3. There is a kink that could restrict coolant flow.
I found out 1 & 2 when the hose developed a leak where it is clamped to the radiator inlet.

Hose is too short. Stretching it would only reduce the curvature which helps it clear the intake air duct.
Name:  TooShort_zpshoa3c3b2.jpg
Views: 5872
Size:  248.8 KB

Rubs against intake air duct. Do you know if OEM hose has sufficient curvature to fix this? OR have you used a non-OEM hose that fixes this?
Name:  RUBS_zps4nzfuhme.jpg
Views: 6824
Size:  218.4 KB

...and there is a kink that may restrict coolant flow.
Name:  Radiator_Hose_zpsbzn0gyps.jpg
Views: 7140
Size:  196.5 KB

If you have an OEM hose, does it eliminate these issues?
If you have non-OEM but it is properly-curved and eliminates these issues, please share where you bought it from.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:54 PM

my oe hose doesn't have the kink and i think might fit a little better at the neck, but does still contact the intake tube
Old 08-16-2016, 07:55 PM

Mine always contacted the intake as well

Gates are nice hoses I replaced all mine but the heater hoses with them from oreillys and they had them in stock.

Will check for the kink to compare haven't installed yet to verify length is tight but I'm sure it is they are supposed to be cut to fit

edit: also the Gates hoses were much thicker then the "house brand" so went with them. Maybe if you went into your favorite auto parts store and get a few in your hand to compare. Then get the thicker hose it will kink less easily. You might get lucky and get a better fit at the radiator, the gap prob don't hurt anything but it would drive me nuts too!

Last edited by 4RunnerFreak12; 08-16-2016 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 08-16-2016, 11:23 PM

Might be they wanted to get it finished and that was all they had or get at the time.

I always used whatever hose I got from Napa then I have 3 Row Copper brass Radiators

My hose is about a 1" from the radiator tank.

It is possible they installed the hose backwards it can be done quite easy .

Hard to tell from pictures .

It has been years since I bought any

I tried to get a part# but Napa Prolink seems to be having issues
Old 08-17-2016, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Hi folks!
It looks like the shop that rebuilt my engine used upper radiator hose that is not OEM.
  1. It is too short.
  2. It lacks the proper curvature to clear the intake air duct, AND
  3. There is a kink that could restrict coolant flow.
I found out 1 & 2 when the hose developed a leak where it is clamped to the radiator inlet.

Hose is too short. Stretching it would only reduce the curvature which helps it clear the intake air duct.

Rubs against intake air duct. Do you know if OEM hose has sufficient curvature to fix this? OR have you used a non-OEM hose that fixes this?

...and there is a kink that may restrict coolant flow.

If you have an OEM hose, does it eliminate these issues?
If you have non-OEM but it is properly-curved and eliminates these issues, please share where you bought it from.
Mine are from Napa and have worked with both the older and newer style intake plenum a (I upgraded). The dealer is always a source also.

My intake tube rests on the hose but the are no kinks or obstructions.

Old set up

New set up
Old 08-17-2016, 07:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you can afford it, on a truck of this "vintage", I would replace all the "hard line" heater "pipes" with new OEM - which are stainless steel.

(its on my short list as I get my 1989 back into regular duty use)

Quick Reply: 22re Coolant hoses? - 1st gen 4runner