Product Reviews Post your reviews on automotive and expedition-camping gear here

12Voltguy.com E-locker wiring harness and switch

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12Voltguy.com E-locker wiring harness and switch

I just finished the major parts of my 97 4Runner build. Part of that build was installing an e-locker rear axle. Since my Runner didn't come with an e-locker, I needed a solution for the switch and harness. I had originally planned on following a wiring diagram from the forums on T4R, but then I came across a thread about buying a "diff to dash" plug-and-play solution from 12Voltguy.com. It saw that Inchworm had something too, but the one from 12Voltguy just looked better. He uses factory plugs for the diff and also beefs up the waterproofing where the wiring connects to these plugs, then he uses some very nice heat protected sheathing for the wiring that extends plenty far enough that it's through your firewall in the cab before it is no longer protected from the elements. The wiring looks so nice, you almost don't want to hide it under the rig. The best part is the switch. He has a protected toggle that has the word "E LOCKER" on the protector. There is also an LED (you can choose from a couple different colors) that indicates a locked diff. These items are mounted in a black brushed metal mount. As a nice extra, he will etch almost any short saying or message you request under the LED. I chose "True Friend" for mine, but I've seen a couple others ("locked and loaded" comes to mind). All the wires are labeled as to where they belong and the hardest part of the install was running the cables from the back to the front. He sells the wiring in 2 lengths; 15' and 17.5'. I went with the longer, and I'm glad I did because I mounted my switch in the center console. The shorter length is probably fine for mounting by the driver's door (next to the steering wheel). Two more little extras I forgot to mention - he includes cable ties and a method for inserting threads (sort of a miniature pop-rivet of sorts) so that you don't need a nut on the underside where you would need an extra hand and a wrench to hold it while tightening the bolts. I did have an issue where I accidentally rounded out the hex corners inside the little tool he sent to insert these rivets, so I didn't end up using them, but it's okay because he did include the nuts for the backside in case you didn't want to use his threaded option. My suggestion for that issue is to make darn sure your allen wrench is FULLY inserted in the bolt heads.

When I ordered ($145 + $10 s/h), he takes PayPal (amongst other payment methods) and he shipped fast...I am in Englewood, CO and he's in CA and I had it in 4 business days. I know he can't ship everything that fast because he does fabrication for specific applications, but he's done enough of these e-locker setups that I think he had some ready. He builds switches with dash panel assemblies for a variety of applications (winches, e-lockers, lighting, etc) for Jeeps and 4Runners and he's on Facebook and Twitter too. As far as responsiveness, he answers email like he has a Blackberry on his hip. I also read a forum post where a user had a rust issue with the harness and 12Voltguy shipped him a replacement (upgraded) the very next day no questions asked, stating "I stand behind my products". He does indeed. The owner/craftsman is Darren Sinkey (his business card was in the box), and I would definitely do business with him again. I can't recommend him enough.
Attached Thumbnails 12Voltguy.com E-locker wiring harness and switch-switch.jpg   12Voltguy.com E-locker wiring harness and switch-wiring.jpg  
Old 07-26-2011, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had the same set up for about two years and couldn't be happier as well! Highly recommended!
Old 12-13-2011, 09:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ditto. Fantastic products, helpful guy