Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

Would you rather have Laptop or Desktop?

Old 10-07-2008, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 17" macbook pro, I will never buy another desktop computer. I didn't pay for it though, graduation present from my grandpa
Old 10-07-2008, 07:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Gearsmith4
I have a 17" macbook pro, I will never buy another desktop computer. I didn't pay for it though, graduation present from my grandpa
Man, you have a COOL grandpa!!
Old 10-07-2008, 08:24 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by nieuwendyk-25
Dude....what's up with that carpet?
Lighting, and foot traffic.
Carpet behind the chair that you can not see has a hole worn in it from my office chairs wheels in one spot.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:31 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Corey
Lighting, and foot traffic.
Carpet behind the chair that you can not see has a hole worn in it from my office chairs wheels in one spot.
I figured it was just a weird lighting thing...thought I'd give you a hard time
Old 10-07-2008, 08:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Corey
It is a PC version, I do not have a console.
I wish it came in black to match all of the other stuff, but it only comes in white.

I freaked out my youngest son a few months back.
He was playing Unreal Tournament III on my PC.
I was sitting on the bed and reached for the controller that he had not seen yet.

I started making him twirl around and shoot, and he thought there was a bug at first

It is a wireless controller too, so it is pretty cool.

I can not operate it though very good, as I am a mouse/keyboard person when it comes to first person shooters.
I am sure it would be good for a game like WarCraft or other massive online player game.
damn man if i move out there want to get me a job doin what you do??? DAMN man! thats all i got to say!
Old 10-07-2008, 08:42 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
damn man if i move out there want to get me a job doin what you do??? DAMN man! thats all i got to say!
Hey, Boeing is hiring.
They are even hiring during the strike, but corps tells them they do not have to report to work until the strike is over which I think will wrap up here in a few weeks.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:43 PM

what are they starting out at? im thinking i may want to get out of commiefornia before the liberals TOTALLY take it over...
Old 10-08-2008, 04:41 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

It depends on the job you get, but wages are generally good.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:03 AM

umm... which jobs does boeing do? i know their a plane manufacturer but what all is there to do?
Old 10-08-2008, 08:10 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I will PM you later so this thread does not get anymore OT.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:07 AM

hey how much does one of those light up key board cost any way. need one when im using it in the dark
Old 07-03-2010, 06:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, if all ur goin to use it for is games, music, and web.... than a decent laptop should suffice....
However.... I use mine to watch movies, hulu, vid games...etc... and I like the desktop idea, cause I can order the components from tigerdirect.com for really good prices, and assemble the unit I want, to do what I want, and connect it to my tv, and stereo....
That being said...I also have a laptop that I can take on the go, to do work stuff.... thats about all I use it for these days.... since I got my android phone....I really dont have much use for the laptop.... the phone does all the same stuff.....minus video games.....
Old 07-03-2010, 06:44 AM

I decided the only thing I really needed was something to surf the internet, cause that's all I do when I'm not around my OLD desktop (as in my cell phone has more RAM than my computer), so I bought a netbook for traveling and living room stuff. I'll get a much more capable desktop here in a few months
Old 07-03-2010, 09:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by b0n3mast3r
hey how much does one of those light up key board cost any way. need one when im using it in the dark
look into Logitech

the only way to go for a lighted keyboard, but they are a little pricy

oh and as far as the subject, I realize this is an old topic, but I rock both

a custom built desktop for gaming, video editing, and generally WHATEVER I need to do with a PC

i7 920 processor
ATI 4870HD GPU
6GB DDR3 RAM
1.8TB worth of storage
Currently dual booting on Windows 7 and Mac OS X 10.6.4

And an HP laptop that I bough last black-friday sale at Walmart

It's basically as-is from brand new, accept for the CPU upgrade

HP G71-329WM
Core 2 Duo T6600 2.2ghz, as apposed to the Celeron 900 2.2ghz that they come with (HUGE difference)
4GB DDR2 RAM
Intel GMA4500M GPU (bleh...)
Running (now a fresh copy) Windows 7
Mainly just gets used when I go out of town for more than a day or two

But it is possible to not have a desktop at all these days, for the average user, if you just spend a little extra on a good laptop. The power of todays laptops is AMAZING! They can pack so much into a small package, as long as you can afford it

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 07-03-2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:30 AM

I prefer to have both. I don't like the laptop mouse and plus if you spill a drink on a latop that's super bad whereas with a desktop you can easily buy a new keyboard if it's ruined. Also, I think desktops in general are more powerful.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:13 AM

If you want a keyboard that will survive anything you can do to it, I'd suggest looking into getting a Unicomp Customizer 104, they're the same as the old IBM Model M's, Unicomp even uses the old molds. The keys on it go "clickity-clackity" when you type and in the event of an emergency it can double as a ballistic shield due to the 1/8" steel backplate inside it. They type beautifully and are compatible with anything from original IBM PCs all the way up to today's bleeding-edge gaming rigs. Sure $70 might seem like "a lot" for a keyboard, but it's $70 you will only ever have to spend once, IBM Model Ms are known to type as perfectly as the day they were made after 20+ years of abuse. Which would you rather do? Buy a $15 keyboard every few years or buy a $70 keyboard once, that will outlast anything more expensive (except certain IBM/Lexmark Model Ms which go for about twice the price of the Unicomp, but they're expensive because they're rare). There's no backlighting, multimedia keys, or any pizazz other than the silverish keys and the black casing (they do custom colours as well, for a price), but if you are a touch typist, it isn't necessary. The keycaps are also removable and they even do custom keycaps, so people like Mac users can even get their keys. There's also 101/102 key versions that look (they're biege with the greyed keys), smell, and feel like the original Model M keyboard.

Oh, and if you ever spill anything on it, it has drainage holes and the top plastic cover is designed to not let liquid (as well as dust, hair, etc) in, so it'll drain whatever you spilled onto your desk and out of the keyboard (it's all but impossible to get liquids into the key switches without fully submerging the keyboard). I spill CocaCola on mine at least once every couple of months, I just chase the Coke with water (because nobody like sticky crap in their keyboard), wipe up the mess, and go back to typing.

It's also great for use as an impromptu "clue by four" for when they really annoying guy from HR who thinks everyone in your department is his friend and will stop what they are doing to talk to him about some of dumbest crap to ever exit someone's mouth. A little blood never hurt a Model M.

My father uses those backlit keyboards and constantly finds himself replacing them after a year or so because the lighting either fades/stops working or the keyboard wears out. It would be better to get a small desk light that you can aim at the keyboard without it interfering. Or you could train yourself to not look at the keyboard, it takes some time, but blanking out all the keys helps.

Last edited by Magnusian; 07-28-2010 at 04:16 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:03 AM

Of course it will be a laptop if you are talking about the same performance....
Old 08-06-2010, 04:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I prefer a desktop. its much more comfortable to use then a lap top. I dont have a tv either so my desktop does it all.

the lap top is for GE (google earth) when wheeling. cant wait to use gps with GE,
Old 09-04-2011, 08:11 PM

I prefer a desktop and i used to build my own but i always leave my towers on so i have a high powered dell.. .... theres always newer and better stuff.. staying on top of the game is too costly for me...
Old 09-04-2011, 08:25 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Lap