Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

video card pulling too much power from supply, causing a crash?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
okay, most of the time when i play world of warcraft, it will not load. it will go into the game, then the computer will freeze, then crash. when i reboot it, it says the crash was caused by a device driver. someone told me it was cuz the video card (geforce 7950GT) is pulling too much power from the power supply (450W) and is causing the crash. remedy: buy a new power supply. has anyone ever heard of this? corey, i really hope you chip in on this one, ur like a cpu guru, lol.
Yeah.
I knew a guy with the same problem. He had already tried this and that before I arrived to drink some beers. I put my finger on the GPU and it was hot. Hot enough to iron clothes with. I left the access panel off and sat a 12 inch fan in front. It worked fine after that. Im not saying this will do it for you, just something to think about.

The same thing happened to another guy with microsoft flight simX. He could nose around the game but when he was ready to fly, his computer would either freeze during flight planning or freeze a few minutes into the flight.

Now that I think about it, it has happened to quite a few people. Different computers, different set ups, different games, same problem, heat.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lumpy

That's what the 64 means...

* Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core.
* Model: 5600+.
* Ordering P/N (PIB): ADO5600DOBOX.
* Operating Mode 32 Bit: Yes.
* Operating Mode 64 Bit: Yes.
* Core Speed (MHz): 2800.
* Wattage: 65 W.
* L2 Cache Size: 1MB.
* L2 Cache Count: 2.
* Socket: AM2.

its actually not a true 64bit system with out a 64bit os.

but close enough
Old 06-26-2009, 12:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so my system, once i upgrade hard drive from ide to sata, and get new power supply, is vista ready? ive heard a lot of good things bout it since they did the recent service pack
Old 06-26-2009, 12:54 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
if it were me...
I'd get at least 3GB RAM more if your MoBo will see it. 4GB would be ideal. RAM is cheap...
Up grade the HD...that's what I usually do. I don't reload I buy new HD and keep the old one just in case. After a while I copy all my stuff off wipe it and use is for a backup drive.
Also the all important PS which is what brought us all together on this one.

So $100 for the PS about $100 for HD and we'll say another $60 for RAM. I don't think it's a bad investment for a machine that could last you another 4 years or so...

But all in all you can run Vista as it sits now...I've been running it for over a year and it's alright. Need RAM. I would not get Vista home, I really do not like home versions of OS. I have XP Pro on my laptop and Vista Business on my desktop. Go Business or Ultimate when you go to make the swap.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
okay, most of the time when i play world of warcraft, it will not load. it will go into the game, then the computer will freeze, then crash. when i reboot it, it says the crash was caused by a device driver. someone told me it was cuz the video card (geforce 7950GT) is pulling too much power from the power supply (450W) and is causing the crash. remedy: buy a new power supply. has anyone ever heard of this? corey, i really hope you chip in on this one, ur like a cpu guru, lol.
I see a lot of rambling on about power supplies and what not, but not spec. If you want real help ill send you a pm with my phone number and i can talk you through all you need to know.

here is a link to get all your comp specs. http://cpuid.com/cpuz.php down load cpu-z 1.5.1 setup and run the app. it will show you all the hardware specs.

Last edited by dark_fairytales; 06-26-2009 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by dark_fairytales
I see a lot of rambling on about power supplies and what not, but not spec. If you want real help ill send you a pm with my phone number and i can talk you through all you need to know.
Kudos
Old 06-26-2009, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by dark_fairytales

here is a link to get all your comp specs. http://cpuid.com/cpuz.php down load cpu-z 1.5.1 setup and run the app. it will show you all the hardware specs.
I don't like installing things on the machine that you really do not need. He gave the model of the video card as well as some spec on the machine. I have had issues with Video cards in the past requiring larger PS....so that is what we came up with...
Old 06-26-2009, 11:35 PM

there is a label on the psu ( power supply ). this label looks like a table with voltage and amp specifications. the portion you would be interested in, has to do with how many 12volt rails the psu has and at what amps those 12volt rails are supplied with. also what comp ( computer ) accessories are powers off of those rails, such as a dvd rom. so the first step is to know how many amps the 7950gt uses at max 3d capacity. I looked up the info. on line for the 7950gt and it draws 85 watts at max. now to find out how many amps that is at 12volts you do the following equation. 85watts/ 12volts= 7.08 or 8amps. the 12volt rail that provides the power via. the six pin pci-e plug must be more than 8amps to power the 7950gt with no issue. remember though if you have other accessories powered off of that same rail you will need even more amps then 8 to still be able to power your 7950gt. So pull out your psu and check the label, if your psu meets the requirements you do not need a new psu. watts mean nothing on psu's its all about amps per rail and how many rails, more rails means better more stable delivery of power to comp hardware. I hope some of this help, and i hope it is not to nerdy for YT. I LOVE TEACHING PEOPLE HOW DO DEAL WITH COMPS SO THEY CAN GIVE GEEKSQUAD THE FINGER TOO.

Last edited by dark_fairytales; 06-26-2009 at 11:38 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:57 AM

actually, i was planning on leaving it alone for now (i turned the graphics WAY down and it plays well now) and just building a new computer. but seeing as how it wont be built for 3-4 months, i might as well upgrade the psu, and keep this one aside for when i give this comp to my mom (who doesnt play games). so the 7950gt is taking 85 watts at max 3d? thats almost a quarter of the power supply, then take into account the hard drive (an old inefficient IDE), the processor, the processor fan, the case fan (which has a blue LED built into it) the dvd burner, the other fan in there i added for extra cooling when i built it, and the mobo itself. prob way more than 450 watts running the geforce at max capacity.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:41 AM

actually, i was planning on leaving it alone for now (i turned the graphics WAY down and it plays well now) and just building a new computer. but seeing as how it wont be built for 3-4 months, i might as well upgrade the psu, and keep this one aside for when i give this comp to my mom (who doesnt play games). so the 7950gt is taking 85 watts at max 3d? thats almost a quarter of the power supply, then take into account the hard drive (an old inefficient IDE), the processor, the processor fan, the case fan (which has a blue LED built into it) the dvd burner, the other fan in there i added for extra cooling when i built it, and the mobo itself. prob way more than 450 watts running the geforce at max capacity.
i dought it, but if you plan a new build any way. your good to go. if you have question about any hard ware in the future just send a pm, im always willing to help out
Old 06-27-2009, 06:11 PM

will do, thanks.
im just gonna build one cuz i feel like getting another one.... i also like having the strongest computer in the house, and i did have the strongest one, until my sister got her dell intel quadcore computer... time to upgrade!
Old 06-28-2009, 11:12 AM

will do, thanks.
im just gonna build one cuz i feel like getting another one.... i also like having the strongest computer in the house, and i did have the strongest one, until my sister got her dell intel quadcore computer... time to upgrade!
eewwww quadcore and dell, lol
Old 06-28-2009, 05:20 PM

whats wrong with quadcore?
and whats wrong with dell? my laptop was from dell, i had no problems. sold it to my friend, and it still works. its 8 years old.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:34 PM

Noting wrong with Dell...HP or Compaq. Acer are not all that bad either. What I like about Dell over the HP and Compaq is that they'll send you parts for warranty work the others need to have it sent out and takes 3 weeks.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:17 PM

yeah, defragged 2 days ago. system specs r
amd athlon 64 x2 dual core 5600+
2.81GHz
2GB ram
XFX Geforce 7950gt PCI-E
IDE hard drive (yeah yeah i know..)
SATA dvd-writer
450W power supply
windows xp home
Just one flaw--I don't believe Windows XP home supports a dual-core processor, if my previous research is correct.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:02 PM

oh really? ....didnt know that.... will look into that. which OS does?
Old 06-29-2009, 06:10 PM

Any of the professional...I would not purchase a home OS...
Old 06-29-2009, 06:15 PM

hmmm.... i always thought XP home and pro were one in the same, obviously with pro having more features.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:06 AM

Yeah, windows Pro really does have its significance over Home.

If you're willing to wait a while, I've heard some good things about Windows 7. It's much more reasonable, as far as resource usage and accessories, than Vista. I downloaded the beta a few months ago, and that OS is worth the space on your HDD (because the actual OS will be smaller than Vista is).
Old 07-03-2009, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Texas91Runner
Yeah, windows Pro really does have its significance over Home.

If you're willing to wait a while, I've heard some good things about Windows 7. It's much more reasonable, as far as resource usage and accessories, than Vista. I downloaded the beta a few months ago, and that OS is worth the space on your HDD (because the actual OS will be smaller than Vista is).
I have not messed with this at all yet. How is it? smoother than Vista, I also here it uses resources much better. Lately we have been getting our laptops with 4GB RAM and running Vista and that seems like a good combo. I'm running 3.5 at home and my laptop only had 2 so that is still on XP Pro.

Quick Reply: video card pulling too much power from supply, causing a crash?