Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

Need some tech help from the YT computer people.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 07:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Magnusian
...reinstall the OS that came with it (you may have to download an OEM version of the install media, this is NOT pirating as you legitimately hold a license key which is what Microsoft actually charges money for, a RETAIL dvd might work with an OEM key but I have not tried this with newer version of Windows)
this works still with Windows 7, or at least it did for me

I wiped out my laptop because of all the junk HP puts on them when they ship them, and I used a retail Windows 7 DVD and entered the license key on the bottom of the lap top, and it works perfectly fine. I use the same DVD and a separate license key I got when I PURCHASED the DVD for my desktop

Originally Posted by Magnusian
I had a thinkpad I bought off ebay once, t22 that had a cpu from a t23 in it and was nothing but trouble because the bios would only accept one of the three cpus used with the t22. I could use the machine for anywhere between 5 minutes and 2 hours before a blue-screen or kernel panic depending on OS. Ended up offloading it.
referring back to my HP laptop, yeah if you do the research and see what different models came with what hardware, you can safely upgrade and swap out some parts as long as they stay within spec, but you may have to do a BIOS flash or update. I swapped a top end processor into this low end laptop out of a higher model, updated the BIOS, and this $400 laptop SCREAMS now, although the battery life is horrible, lol. unfortunately, most laptops have an on board video system, so the graphics car itself is not swappable. this happens to be my case with this HP, and the on board graphics car is the only thing that holds this laptop back now

OP, if you feel comfortable really digging in and trying to get this to work with Windows 7, you could give this a shot

http://laptop-driver.blogspot.com/20...-7-driver.html

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 06-14-2011 at 07:54 PM.