Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

making a hackintosh - the official thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 10:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
making a hackintosh - the official thread

so i got my hard drive partitioned for the mac OS X operating system. made the dvd, and rebooted into darwin. it kept giving me the error "still waiting for root device". after some tinkering with my sata settings in bios, i got it to put itself on the partition. so i had 2 options: boot Windows 7 NTFS, the foreign OS, or Apple HFS. then id hit apple, and it would tell me 'cannot find system config file /library/preferences/systemconfiguration/com.apple.boot.plist' not found. anyone have any idea?
oh, and i almost gave myself a heart attack cuz my computer wouldnt boot back up.. you have to reset your primary partition as the 'primary', or 'active' partition.
lets get some discussion going on this.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:01 AM

i just thought of something... ive never seen an os x tiger (10.4) system with anything bigger than a 40GB hard drive... is that a OS limit? the drive i have for os x on this x86 is 115GB, think the setup is not reading it due to it being way oversized? i know the mac os isnt meant to be installed on an x86 PC, so if thats your intention please keep it to yourself.. im SICK of windows, and want a mac, but cant afford one, so im making a poor mans mac.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:07 PM

round 2 of mac/PC hacking commencing
Old 06-15-2010, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i had an older 17" imac G4 with an 80gb hard drive with 10.4... so, i don't think that is the problem.

joel

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
i just thought of something... ive never seen an os x tiger (10.4) system with anything bigger than a 40GB hard drive... is that a OS limit? the drive i have for os x on this x86 is 115GB, think the setup is not reading it due to it being way oversized? i know the mac os isnt meant to be installed on an x86 PC, so if thats your intention please keep it to yourself.. im SICK of windows, and want a mac, but cant afford one, so im making a poor mans mac.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:06 PM

now im getting the error "com.apple.boot.s/library/preferences/systemconfiguration/com.apple.boot.plist' not found. im officially stumped.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:57 PM

No one hAs any ideas? I'm a little surprised. I'm gonna try -v -x at the boot prompt when I get home, advice from a tutorial I found online, supposedly on the guys hackintosh it would hang at the same point mine does unless he put in the -v -x. No idea why but it's worth a shot.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:28 PM

gave up. i guess my hardware isnt compatible. reloaded windows 7 (was planning to anyway), reset bios to optimized defaults, and windows 7 recognized and installed drivers for my onboard 5.1 HD audio card! huge difference.. plus no searching for hacked drivers for SB LIVE value. ha.
apple defeated me
Old 06-18-2010, 07:57 AM
Contributing Member

Post up some system specs, hopefully you have a dual core system that'l help. Are you using an oem version of OSX, not the ideal version for a hackentosh. Got a wedding to go to this weekend ,I'll get back to you next week. One of the first things you'll want is (iATKOS S3 Snow Leopard 10.6.3 Intel - Mac) very stable and very little problems with driver compatibility.

What you need:

Minimum: Compatible motherboard, Intel SSE2 CPU, 512MB RAM, 15GB free space on target partition, compatible VGA card.

Recommended: Intel Core CPU, 1GB RAM, 15GB free space on target partition, Snow Leo compatible nVidia 6600 or newer / ATI X1300 or newer / Intel GMA 950 or X3100 VGA card.

Make sure you take note of your Hardware IDs, Device IDs and device names before installing this system. This is very important. If you aren't sure what devices/hardware you own nor its IDs, then Boot iATKOS S3 DVD, run "Hardware Info" from Utilities menu and take notes. Take your time, if the install is a success, then most likely it will run on your machine. Do a google search or surf related OSX86 sites or wiki to find out if your hardware is supported or not. OSX86 does not support the wide range of hardware's like Linux and Windows. Make sure that it is supported before you install. This little search will avoid your frustration and anger! Extending your lifespan! This means if you have a major booting error after installation like kernel panic, "still waiting for root device" error, hang on grey apple screen etc. then this is mostly related to bad selections during the install, read the instructions carefully and do a very basic install until you boot your new system with success.

Last edited by Dublin; 06-20-2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:34 PM

OK, i got a dell from my granddad, a dell dimension 8200. pentium 4 2.8GHz. i used ideneb. i loaded that .iso, because iatkos wasnt working, was hanging at apple screen after installation, and it is running on leopard. im getting a few kernel panics, but thats what troubleshooting is for. the same voodoo kernel. though seems to happen mostly when i go to change my desktop background. the cd installed my network driver, so i am online already. wow am i stoked. and dublin, i take it you have made a hackintosh?
Old 06-21-2010, 03:27 PM
Contributing Member

Glad to see you have yours up and running, after a few hours here and there you should have it tweaked pretty good. Try to stick with Safari or even Fire fox does well for a browser. I do have a Hackentosh, but that was one of those things you gotta try. I don't use it as often as my MacBook Pro (Snow Leopard/ Win 7) but I do use it. My experiences with it have been good with very little problems and I often forget it's not a Mac (except for the keyboard). Even (Time Machine) Mac backup and my wireless Apple mouse work great on the Hackentosh. Enjoy.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:12 PM

one thing i have noticed... is when i click the 'about this mac', the operating system reboots to the desktop. also i have no sound, nor video. i have an ati radeon x800xt in it, and i am stuck at 1024x768. man.. i remember when 800x600 was a high resolution! this is horrible!
Old 06-21-2010, 05:44 PM

any idea, dublin? i cant seem to find any drivers, official or hacked, for this card. ...or.. kernels...
Old 06-21-2010, 06:05 PM
Contributing Member

This might help ( http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/in...rdPartyDrivers ) I'll be able to help more thur or fri, but it's a good driver base.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:07 PM

thanks, thats a huge help. !! will be looking into that!
Old 06-21-2010, 07:28 PM

on my hackintosh now . i have this program called kext helper b7. is that a good program to use? and how do i remove drivers (kernels) ?
Old 06-21-2010, 10:34 PM

none of those video or audio drivers seemed to work
Old 06-21-2010, 11:46 PM

ya i cant figure out the drivers.. started messing around in the .kext files in textedit and terminal.. dont even know what im looking at. frustrated. this OS is supposed to have these drivers preloaded. lol.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:40 AM

im an idiot. i decided to format the drive and reload OSX due to a lot of kernel panics. now i cant get it back up. grrrr. *slams head on desk multiple times* WHY WHY WHY
Old 06-22-2010, 08:37 PM

its been almost 10 hours, and i still havent gotten it reloaded. i truly need some guidaNCE here. ive tried everything i could think of. god i am such an idiot for formatting the drive WHEN IT WAS LOADING IT FINE!!! i am at my wits end now. i am installing it now, with EVERY DRIVER SELECTED, minus the ps/2 and bootloader V2 drivers, cuz i had problems with V2 before, 1 worked fine, and when i did a -v boot, the PS/2 drivers were what it was hanging on. god im praying.
system is a Dell Dimension 8200
Pentium 4 2.8GHz
1GB ram
ATI Radeon x800 XT 256MB
Old 06-22-2010, 09:29 PM

okay.. you guys are NOT gonna believe this... but it loaded up!!! i expressly went AGAINST what the install said, i installed EVERY kernal, EVERY driver, minus PS/2, and it came up. now it just wont detect the Keyboard, and im stuck at the screen after the exciting Apple OS X video that says "before you begin... there isnt a keyboard connected to your computer. connect your keyboard now."

Quick Reply: making a hackintosh - the official thread