Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

linksys wireless router wrt54g w/speed booster

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 03:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
linksys wireless router wrt54g w/speed booster

Anybody have a install for this router I have some how lost my copy and can not get my router to work after a computer crash. I only have a laptop and use it everywhere in the garage upstairs downstairs kitchen you get the idea please help
Old 10-02-2009, 03:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
heres what you can do.

plug the router directly into the laptop using an ethernet cable.

Then go to 192.168.0.1

type in admin as the user name and admin as the password

from there go to the wiresless tab, and then security, there you can configure the Network name (SSID), and security settings.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:09 PM

If you have any questions post it here, or PM me. Ill be happy to help.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by olharleyman
Anybody have a install for this router I have some how lost my copy and can not get my router to work after a computer crash. I only have a laptop and use it everywhere in the garage upstairs downstairs kitchen you get the idea please help

Sounds like you may need to reset it first and depending on the age you will have a different combination to Log in. The instructions for most of it is located here http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/support/WRT54G

I have one and I need to go to 192.168.1.1 (Depending on your version it will make a difference)

I will be happy to help as well. Let us know how we can.

Andy
Old 10-03-2009, 06:12 PM

anything?
Old 10-06-2009, 03:16 PM
Contributing Member

I search that 192.168.1.1 and it gets me to wikipedia but I can not get to that site to try to down load also I have wrt54g version 5 please help lol
Old 10-06-2009, 03:33 PM

Are you wired or wireless on the laptop right now?

Right click the status icon [2 flashing squares, or a square with ))) ]to the left of the clock and click Status, then click the Details tab. Tell us what the IP address's listed are.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 24Runna
Are you wired or wireless on the laptop right now?

Right click the status icon [2 flashing squares, or a square with ))) ]to the left of the clock and click Status, then click the Details tab. Tell us what the IP address's listed are.
Thats not showing up if you are talking about the reception gauge not even the icon that tells what the how much kp per second is there.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:37 PM

But are you currently wired or wireless? If wireless, get an ethernet cord and connect to it.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:08 PM
Contributing Member

Yea I am running the cable from the comcast box right into the laptop if I do it the other way into the router it just don't work for some reason my computer crashed and this is the last issue that I know that I can't fix.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:11 PM

ohh I see.

Ok so connect the Ethernet cable from the Comcast box into the WAN port of the Router, then use another Ethernet cable and connect it to the Ethernet port in your laptop, and one of the four LAN ports on the router. Unplug the Comcast box, and router for 30 seconds. Right after you unplug them, restart your laptop.

Now, through the wired side of the router you should be able to access the Internet. Now you can go to 192.168.0.1 (or 192.168.1.1) in the address bar.

Now once you get to this screen the User field will be admin, or blank, and the password will be admin.

From here, navigate to the Wireless set-up tab, you should see Security, select that and use WPA-Personal Use anything you like for example yotatech1.

This is your wireless network password. Navigate to Configuration, and check you SSID (Wireless Network Name), I personally put the last name, and family. e.g. ToscanoFamily.

Then on your laptop, view wireless networks, connect to yours, put your password in (the one we just created), and you should be all set.

Should the issue arise that you can't find ANY wireless networks, or it gives you an error, make sure all wireless switches ar eturned on, and that it is enabled in the Network Connections, in the Control Panel (For WinXP). If all above is true and you still can't connect successfully, find an updated driver either from the laptop manufacturers website, or even the manufacturer it self (e.g. Atheros, Broadcom, Intel, ect.).

A few more questions to clear the air (if it still doesn't work).
What is the make and model of your laptop?
Is the wireless card integrated (inside) or external (USB, or PCMIA port)?

Hope that helps!
Old 10-07-2009, 04:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 24Runna
ohh I see.

Ok so connect the Ethernet cable from the Comcast box into the WAN port of the Router, then use another Ethernet cable and connect it to the Ethernet port in your laptop, and one of the four LAN ports on the router. Unplug the Comcast box, and router for 30 seconds. Right after you unplug them, restart your laptop.

Now, through the wired side of the router you should be able to access the Internet. Now you can go to 192.168.0.1 (or 192.168.1.1) in the address bar.

Now once you get to this screen the User field will be admin, or blank, and the password will be admin.

From here, navigate to the Wireless set-up tab, you should see Security, select that and use WPA-Personal Use anything you like for example yotatech1.

This is your wireless network password. Navigate to Configuration, and check you SSID (Wireless Network Name), I personally put the last name, and family. e.g. ToscanoFamily.

Then on your laptop, view wireless networks, connect to yours, put your password in (the one we just created), and you should be all set.

Should the issue arise that you can't find ANY wireless networks, or it gives you an error, make sure all wireless switches ar eturned on, and that it is enabled in the Network Connections, in the Control Panel (For WinXP). If all above is true and you still can't connect successfully, find an updated driver either from the laptop manufacturers website, or even the manufacturer it self (e.g. Atheros, Broadcom, Intel, ect.).

A few more questions to clear the air (if it still doesn't work).
What is the make and model of your laptop?
Is the wireless card integrated (inside) or external (USB, or PCMIA port)?

Hope that helps!
I could not have said that better! Let us know what happens. 24runna good rundown! We will get you there.

Andy