Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

how to reset logon password on vista?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Give me a second to google this as we don't use Vista here... I'll be right back
Old 04-15-2009, 12:13 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Microsoft will not help you out on this one. They'll tell you to reload.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
exactly, rich, but i cant type in admin or guest. let me get a pic from my phone of the screen im getting...

Ok this is what I found.. If you get to the safe mode login screen press Ctrl Alt Del and see if it gives you a login option. If not then the admin account has been hidden on purpose and is essentially not availible to login. This is where third party tools and on sit ehelp maybe required. I'll see what I can find..

and that screen comes up with either safe mode option (with cmd prompt, with networking, regular safe mode).
Old 04-15-2009, 12:16 PM

That's not safe mode did you do the whole F8 thing and select safe mode with networking?
Old 04-15-2009, 12:19 PM

yes. ill do a video.... if i can
Old 04-15-2009, 12:21 PM

And you choose safemode and press enter and that's the screen you get? Usually it'll say safemode all over it..
Old 04-15-2009, 12:23 PM

and my phone cut off, but it went to the same screen.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Richjrosa
And you choose safemode and press enter and that's the screen you get? Usually it'll say safemode all over it..
usually, yeah. but vista seems to be a whole different animal...
Old 04-15-2009, 12:28 PM

Sorry man..

just looked at the vid. DIDN"T see anything on it.. i guess its an idea of whats happening but im no computer guy.

I HATE VISTA we have it on our comp.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:35 PM

Damn I just read that Vista's Admin account is disabled by default and thus you cannot choose it at the safemode screen. I do know when I worked for the GS we had utilities to remove password on XP I'm pretty sure they'll be able to remove the password. If you live near a Best Buy take it in it's much cheaper than having someone come out. Also find a guy who's cool and if it's easy enough he may not charge you. They are generally allow to fix quick problems for free. If you don't have anything you care about losing then you could reload but you'll have to setup all your programs email favs etc from scratch. I'll look around and see if I can find any utilities. Sorry man That's why I use XP still.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:37 PM

tell me about it...
how much would it cost to do the password at BB?
Old 04-15-2009, 12:44 PM

It's been three years LOL I'd just give them a call and see if they have a tool to do it and then ask them how much. They have what they call an MRI cd they boot off of and it has all kinds of goodies to remove viruses / spyware and passwords. That cd and the free car to drive are the only things I miss. Oh and the Best Buy employee discount.. It's a wonder I ever had any money left after payday. Now it all goes into my runner
Old 04-15-2009, 12:46 PM

This is something I just found on a vista BB..

You'd better had read this article before, especially the following advice:
"Be aware that disabling the built-in administrator account means that it is important that you do not forgot the user name and passwords for the other administrator accounts on that PC. If you do, you may end up a in a situation where you are unable to make further admin changes to your PC—or even event not be able to login at all. To make sure that happens we recommend the follow tips for home users:

- Use the Forgotten Password wizard via the User Accounts Control Panel to create a password reset disk for your account. Store this disk or removable USB device in a safe place.
- Create a password hint for your account.
- Write down your username and password and store it in a safe location."

The thing to do now: find the Dell supplied recovery DVD (or a recovery instructions, if the data is on a hidden partition of the hard disk) and use it to restore the machine into its very inital state (as it was when it left the factory). You'll probably lose everything you didn't backup on another medium. Sometimes, some people regret to not have invested time in backing up there data. Hope you're not one of them.

Crappy answer... I'd call BB and see if they can help.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:49 PM

Ok this is what I found.. If you get to the safe mode login screen press Ctrl Alt Del and see if it gives you a login option. If not then the admin account has been hidden on purpose and is essentially not availible to login. This is where third party tools and on sit ehelp maybe required. I'll see what I can find..
Here is something I have found...What do you think on this Rich? http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-a-Windows-Vista-Password
Old 04-15-2009, 12:51 PM

This is something I just found on a vista BB..

You'd better had read this article before, especially the following advice:
"Be aware that disabling the built-in administrator account means that it is important that you do not forgot the user name and passwords for the other administrator accounts on that PC. If you do, you may end up a in a situation where you are unable to make further admin changes to your PC—or even event not be able to login at all. To make sure that happens we recommend the follow tips for home users:

- Use the Forgotten Password wizard via the User Accounts Control Panel to create a password reset disk for your account. Store this disk or removable USB device in a safe place.
- Create a password hint for your account.
- Write down your username and password and store it in a safe location."

The thing to do now: find the Dell supplied recovery DVD (or a recovery instructions, if the data is on a hidden partition of the hard disk) and use it to restore the machine into its very inital state (as it was when it left the factory). You'll probably lose everything you didn't backup on another medium. Sometimes, some people regret to not have invested time in backing up there data. Hope you're not one of them.

Crappy answer... I'd call BB and see if they can help.
You can do an F8 and boot into the "fix my pc" or something like that. Sometimes you need a password to get into that as well. This will restore the machine to factory.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:51 PM

Check this out.. I haven't tried it but it looks good.

http://www.password-changer.com/price.htm
Old 04-15-2009, 12:54 PM

yeah...but its not free...god im so *$^%^$*&(* with my dad right now lol. i really wish he had just unplugged it...
Old 04-15-2009, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Lumpy
Here is something I have found...What do you think on this Rich? http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-a-Windows-Vista-Password

It looks good but I haven't ried that one. As long as the OP takes his time and follows the instructions then it should be alright. I also found a software solution that they'd have to pay for that'll do the job. At least they have a few options now. If they go your route I'd recommend they have a computer literate friend do it for some beer and pizza.

Quick Reply: how to reset logon password on vista?