Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

FireFox browser

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 06:46 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
FireFox browser

I am testing out the new FireFox .09, and I like it.
http://www.mozilla.org/products/fire...ases/#download
Just learned tonight what tabs are, and they are pretty cool.

I am a diehard IE 6 user, but like the way FIreFox loads pages quicker.
Also I have noticed with IE when surfing the forum here a few things.

Sometimes when going to the "view new posts" feature, the page starts out squished looking while the smilies and other things load, and this is with my fast cable connection.
This does not happen with FireFox at all, the page simply loads super fast.

This will not replace IE for me though, as FireFox is having issues on my homepage where I have my JAVA table of contents.
Some of the green buttons you click on are blank, or refuse to load all the way.
With IE that is not a problem.

The thing I like the most is the speed of it.
Having a built in pop up blocker is nice too.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firefox is a really nice browser, haven't checked out the latest version yet though. Very lightweight and fast.

Tabbed browsing is the only way to go, I've been using Opera primarily for years & tabs are reason two, with the main thing being mouse gestures & being able to do page forward & page back with mouse clicks. Makes browsing forums a lot easier.

Opera & Firefox will both have issues on certain pages, firefox seems to have fewer. My understanding is that those pages use non-standard features that only IE has. I'm not a web developer, but my i hear that the 'correct' way to develop pages is to follow the standards, so that the page will work the same in any standards complient browser.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:46 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I built some of my website with Front Page 2000, so that may be why FireFox is not loading the JAVA right?
Not sure.

I looked all around in the tools area for the browser, and I can not find how to clear out the cache, history, or cookies.
Does not the beta version have this option?

Never mind...it's in the Privacy section of the tools.
Did not see it last night, must have been to
Old 06-23-2004, 06:21 AM
Contributing Member

i use Mozilla, it also has tabbed browsing and its faster than IE too.
Old 06-23-2004, 05:02 PM
Contributing Member

I wouldn't be surprised if Front Page uses the IE only features, microsoft knows what they're doing. I really wish I knew how to put a website together, my wife is a lot better at that than I am.

Just thought of another thing I like about tabbed browsing. When I surf at home, I usually have a couple of tabs of yotatech up, slashdot, espn, denverpost.com + whatever else i'm surfing at the time. If it crashes, or i need to reboot, when I reopen the browser all the tabs come back like they were before. Makes it easy to keep an eye on lots of sites, especially forums.

edit - firefox is the mozilla browser with the e-mail & all the other extra stuff stripped out. I think thunderbird is the e-mail client from moxilla as a standalone app. They just came out with a new beta version of it too.

Last edited by tulsa_90SR5; 06-23-2004 at 05:09 PM.
Old 06-23-2004, 06:27 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

There are two more things I have discovered that have issues with the forum here.

1. I can use the scroll button on my mouse when I want to scroll the page reading a post, but...
When I am composing a message, the wheel only moves the window I am typing in, not the whole forum window.
I have to grab and drag the main window with the mouse and scroll bar.
This is not an issue with IE.
Here IE beats FireFox hands down.

2. I only use the "New Posts" feature here when reading.
With IE I can say be on page 4 or any page, and click into a post and read it.
When I hit the back button on my mouse, it takes me to the very top of the list, and that is very aggravating as I may be half way down the list which contains many posts.

With IE, when you hit the back button you are placed at the exact same place on the page which is nice if you are half way down the list, or near the bottom.
As mentioned, with FireFox I have to manually scroll down again and look at where I left off.

IE is the winner here again in this area.
I'm not giving up IE, as I like it better still, and it works for me.

Next issue of IE with Service Pak 2 will have a pop up ad blocker, but for now I don't get any since I sue the Google Toolbar which has pop up ad blocking built in.

Now if they could build in tabbed browsing into the next IE, that would be cool.
That is a nice feature I have to admit.
Old 06-23-2004, 06:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Corey
With IE, when you hit the back button you are placed at the exact same place on the page which is nice if you are half way down the list, or near the bottom.
As mentioned, with FireFox I have to manually scroll down again and look at where I left off.
I was just going to mention that one.
I can't express my hate for that.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:30 AM

There are two more things I have discovered that have issues with the forum here.

1. I can use the scroll button on my mouse when I want to scroll the page reading a post, but...
When I am composing a message, the wheel only moves the window I am typing in, not the whole forum window.
I have to grab and drag the main window with the mouse and scroll bar.
This is not an issue with IE.
Here IE beats FireFox hands down.

When there are multiple areas with scroll bars on a page, in Firefox you can simply click the page portion of which area you want to scroll. For example, while typing in the reply area, the scroll mouse will move only the reply area. If you want to view previous posts, left click to the side of the text area (in essence, telling Firefox which window you want to move) and then scroll with the mouse wheel. You don't need to use the scroll bar.

2. I only use the "New Posts" feature here when reading.
With IE I can say be on page 4 or any page, and click into a post and read it.
When I hit the back button on my mouse, it takes me to the very top of the list, and that is very aggravating as I may be half way down the list which contains many posts.

IE is the winner here again in this area.
In many instances, Firefox will behave like Internet Explorer in this regard. I'm not sure why it doesn't work in Yotatech. However, therein lies the joy of tabbed browsing. As I look through the forums, if there is a post that catchest my eye, I middle-click it to open that post in a new tab. The page with the post lists remains exactly where it is.[/QUOTE]

IE is still necessary for me as well, for there are a few sites that do not work 100% with Firefox. I always do my online banking and bill paying through IE, just to make sure that a minor incompatibility does not play havoc with my credit rating.

Keep in mind that with Firefox, under Tools->Options, there are many extensions available to customize the behavior of Firefox. One of the extensions adds a "open with Internet Explorer" option in the right click menu. Very handy for those few times you do need to use IE.

~Bill
Old 06-25-2004, 10:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tulsa_90SR5
firefox is the mozilla browser with the e-mail & all the other extra stuff stripped out.
Firefox is actually being developed on a different tree than Mozilla. So there will be features in one that you won't find in another, and bug fixes in one won't automatically migrate to the other. Also, the dev tree for 0.8 and 0.9 is different. 0.9 came from the trunk so it's closer to Mozilla than 0.8 is, but also has all the side features of 0.8.

You can stay on top of the nightly builds from here:
http://www.squarefree.com/burningedge/

I don't think that 0.9 nightlies are explicitly called out on that list. To be sure, you can pull them from here:
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/

Folks that are into FireFox should check out the extensions cache here:
http://update.mozilla.org/?application=firefox

There are a lot of nice plug-ins that are being done for FireFox, not the least of which is a right-click plug-in that will "View a page in IE" when you run across one that's been developed with tools that create features based on proprietary (i.e., non-standard) code, like Front Page. ugh.
Old 06-28-2004, 05:00 PM
s4m

i have been using mozilla for a good while now, i like it alot more than ie, but their is always some sites that u have to use ie to look at correctly, but latley there is alot less than i used to get.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:07 PM

you folks are missing the greatest thing about using the mozilla products. check out the extensions.

i truly believe mouse gestures should be part of the code...

that and ADBLOCK. adblock allows me to BLOCK any images, not just ads... i'mm using that on another forum when this one person has an annoying avatar and his sig photo is just gigantic...
Old 06-28-2004, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by tulsa_90SR5

Opera & Firefox will both have issues on certain pages, firefox seems to have fewer. My understanding is that those pages use non-standard features that only IE has. I'm not a web developer, but my i hear that the 'correct' way to develop pages is to follow the standards, so that the page will work the same in any standards complient browser.
according to microsoft... they are the standard... not W3C... lol.......
Old 07-19-2004, 10:20 PM
Contributing Member

Does anyone know how to install the plugins? I downloaded them from the Mozilla site with an ".xpi" extension. Do I just move them to the plugins folder or what? I'm so computer illiterate when it comes to stuff like this.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by humanoid
Does anyone know how to install the plugins? I downloaded them from the Mozilla site with an ".xpi" extension. Do I just move them to the plugins folder or what? I'm so computer illiterate when it comes to stuff like this.
Just double-click the plugin to execute. It should automatically install.

~Bill
Old 07-20-2004, 08:16 AM
Contributing Member

Bill, I tried that, a window pops up asking me what program I would like to use to open it with. What should I do?
Old 07-20-2004, 09:24 AM

Bill, I tried that, a window pops up asking me what program I would like to use to open it with. What should I do?
Are you running Netscape, Mozilla or Firefox? And what version of which?
Old 07-20-2004, 11:12 AM
Contributing Member

Running the current version of FireFox 0.9.x
Old 07-20-2004, 12:30 PM

Running the current version of FireFox 0.9.x
Okay, then lets take this one step at a time...

Go here:

http://update.mozilla.org/extensions...&id=35&vid=145

And double (left) click on the folder icon that says "Install now".

You SHOULD get a dialog box titled "Software Installation" and the choice of "Install now" or "Cancel". If you do, then click "Install now" and you'll be told that the extension will be installed on the next restart of Firefox.

Lemme know what happens for you, and we'll figure it out.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:24 AM
Contributing Member

Mark, my monitor went into the crapper a few days ago, I'm currently using my wife's laptop to get on the internet. Once I get my POS computer up and running I will give that a try. Thanks for all the help in the meantime. Maybe time to look at a Mac, huh?
Old 07-22-2004, 09:17 AM

No probs... and Mac wise, I dunno...I have fun issues with my Macs as well.

Quick Reply: FireFox browser