Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

Disk Cleanup freezing...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disk Cleanup freezing...

I have Windows XP and my Disk Cleanup will only go for 3 green bars while compressing the files and then doesn't go any further. I defragged my hardrive last night to see if that would fix the problem. I also tried shutting off my antivirus software and trying a microsoft fix using regedit, but it still is not working. Does Scan Disk just delete your cookies and temporary internet files? I can delete my cookies manually, but my temporary internet files folder just has empy folders in it. While using IE I can delete my cookies using Tools, but it will just freeze up when I try to delete the files. Anyone else have this problem and know a fix for it?
Old 06-20-2004, 02:15 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Whoa, lot of ?'s there, but I heard using the compression feature is not a good idea.
I won't do it on my box with XP.

I do use the disk cleanup feature every Friday morning followed by a defrag.

Scan Disk in no way deletes cookies or temp IE files by the way, it only fixes problems on the disk.

You have to use IE's tools menu to get rid of cookies or temp files, or use the Disk Cleanup to get rid of the temp files in IE.

You also may be accessing the wrong folder for your IE temp files, as there is not suppose to be any yellow folders in there at all.
To access it in XP, here is where:
C:\Documents and Settings\Corey\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

In it you will find cookies first, then your temp files such as all the smilies here and other pics you run across while surfing.

There is also another cookie folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\Corey\Cookies

I do not know why there are two, but when I have a problem not being able to log off a forum such as this, I search for my name @yotatech in the IE temp folder, delete it, and that solves the problem.

You could try to delete the IE temp files right from the folder I listed above and see if that works.

Also check your settings in IE Tools and see how much space you are allocating for the temp folder.
Mine is set to 2384 mb.
Old 06-20-2004, 02:41 PM

Oh, by Scan Disk, I meant Disk Cleanup. I found the temporary internet files in the IE settings and there are a ton of files that go back to 9/03, since I have not deleted them in a while. Maybe that was part of the problem. I'm going to delete them now. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by 4x4Yota; 06-20-2004 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-20-2004, 02:51 PM
Contributing Member

To solve the problem where Disk Cleanup fails to complete the "compress old files" option, run Regedit, and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\Vo lumeCaches\Compress Old Files Save this key in an exported .reg file (eg, compressoldfiles.reg) so that you can restore it if necessary. Remove all the keys under "Compress old files" to get this cleanup program to run to completion

Last edited by pinnacle; 06-20-2004 at 02:52 PM.
Old 06-20-2004, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by pinnacle
To solve the problem where Disk Cleanup fails to complete the "compress old files" option, run Regedit, and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\Vo lumeCaches\Compress Old Files Save this key in an exported .reg file (eg, compressoldfiles.reg) so that you can restore it if necessary. Remove all the keys under "Compress old files" to get this cleanup program to run to completion
Just did that and disk cleanup works now. Thanks