Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

Best anti virus?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kung
I will actually provide one caveat to Norton's stuff (and yes, I know this is my first post...but I do this for the gov't).

NORTON Antivirus is worthless, IMHO.

HOWEVER....SYMANTEC Antivirus (the stuff produced for the corporate/business side) is another matter. I can run this on my home computer because I am affiliated both with the military (9 years in the Navy, going on 8 years in the Army Reserves) and with the government, and I run Symantec Endpoint Protection on my computer mainly because it's all business and no fluff - which is what the "Norton" side SHOULD be.

It can be bought by the regular joe - just not at a physical store. It can be downloaded from their website.

Symantec Antivirus is old and was replaced by Symantec Endpoint. Which is decent, but a $40 yearly subscription is a waste of money when there are other great options available for free.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Motorheadno13
Symantec Antivirus is old and was replaced by Symantec Endpoint.
That's why I sort of segued into it - I should have been more clear. I am aware SA is no longer in existence and was replaced by SEP - my apologies.

Which is decent, but a $40 yearly subscription is a waste of money when there are other great options available for free.
It depends upon one's point of view. You and I can speak on the subject with great equanimity because obviously we're fairly knowledgeable on it; and for guys like us, I'd agree that it's a waste. However, you and I both know are tons of people out there that

a. just 'want something that works.'
b. will NEVER achieve or even care to achieve the level of knowledge that even a basic power user has
c. will still continue to surf the internet
d. would rather pay money for virus protection.

When I recommend a virus solution for people who ask my opinion on it, I'll first ask them 'free or paid?' and then will give my opinion based on statistics as much as possible. I've been a fan of BitDefender (free or pro) for the last few years because it's been an excellent solution. However, amazingly enough, the latest tests and statistics I've seen from several sources on false positives, detection, removal rates, etc., show that Norton products actually narrowly beat out BitDefender, GData, etc.

Now, if the interface was as terrible as the detection rates are good, then I would care less HOW effective it was; and please do not get me wrong. I am definitely no Norton apologist. LOL Back in 2004/2005, you could not have PAID me to tell people to put any Norton/Symantec product on their computers.

However, as I mentioned above, I'm all about results...and both myself and many others have noticed that Norton/Symantec appears to have listened to all the criticism and heeded it, and have actually started putting out products that, if not always the best, have been close (they have been #2 or #3 in past years - only this year have they risen to the top). They've gotten rid of a lot of the fluff and special effects and left mostly the useful stuff.

I do run SEP on my computer but ONLY because stats have shown it's effective, and because I get it for free (any military member or government employee can do the same). Prior to that, however, I ran MSE for virus protection, and MalWareBytes and CCleaner for adware/spyware. Anything beyond that was done manually by me, and is still when SEP doesn't catch it. (Which has happened once, I think. lol)
Old 11-06-2011, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by 707eric
Bit Defender and Kapersky are crap. BitDefender liked to crash servers and Kapersky just didn't do a damn thing.
Agree on Kapersky - but BitDefender? I've actually not heard this. I agree on everything else because my experiences have mirrored yours (though I will allow that Norton/Symantec products are not quite the crap they used to be - stats back this up); but everyone I've run across who has BitDefender loves it. What do you mean by 'liked to crash servers'?

Question - what do you think of the paid version of MalWareBytes, vice the free version? I've not actually used the paid version (personally, anyways - those I know who have it all love it, but mainly because it scans on its own; however, they're all end users, and I'm curious what a fellow IT guy thinks).
Old 11-06-2011, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
I hear lots about CCleaner? Can't remember what it was called... it's the free one that most every techy site talks about having. I'd like to clean up the registry, for sure. I defrag on occasions... but just need something to get rid of the multiple java's that I don't need, etc., ya know?
I'm usually not a fan of registry cleaners; however, CCleaner is the one exception. I can't say that it's 'doing a wonderful job of cleaning my registry' because it's not like removing viruses. If you clean your registry correctly....nothing happens, other than that it's 'clean.'

BUT it cleans computers well, has never crashed ANY computer that I or others I know have run it on, prompts you to back up the registry before you use it, etc. I've used it since WAAY back when it was alpha software. It is probably the ONE system/registry cleaner that I'd actually pay money for.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:38 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Kaspersky is good.
NOD32 is my favorite, as well as being the lightest.
I also use spybot S&D..
Old 11-21-2011, 08:19 AM

I really like Avast. Even the free version is more than enough protection for the average person. I put computer systems in and recommend this to all of my customers.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:23 PM

avg is good
Old 12-10-2011, 01:33 PM

windows vista security tool.....
Old 01-16-2012, 09:54 AM

malware bytes is definitely the best AV, and its free
AVG i would say is a competitor
Old 01-16-2012, 10:36 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Just thought i'd report back, being an 'average user' that I am, like many here, I'm sure(though they may not want to admit it! hahaha)......

Avast has been FANTASTIC!(I have the pay version.... Been told by more than 90% of the 20 or so 'techies' that I've spoken to..., "You really do get what you pay for, and it actually REMOVES them from the computer, which really is preferable"... ). I got it for like 29$, and to me, 1.50$ a month or so is TOTALLY worth it.

Malwarebytes has continued to do it's job(I also have the 'pay' version of that). Oddly enough, while McAfee-NIGHTMARE didn't catch hardly a thing.... Avast has actually caught things that Malwarebytes has missed. Vice-Verses, malwarebytes has caught things that Avast did not as well.

IMHO, this package of the two has been FANTASTIC and totally trouble free for months now. Avast is SOOOOOOOO MUCHHHHHHHH LESSSSSSSSSS intrusive! To be honest, I can't understand how McAfee get's away with selling this crap as "One of the Best", and I'm actually feeling this is 'too bad'... .Especially considering that McAfee used to be the one to go to as you dumped Norton IMMEDIATELY when buying a computer! Now it seems Norton is coming out with ones that are better than McAfee.(DON'T WORRY, I would NEVER use Norton, ever again! NOR will I use Spysweeper again, as that caused me huge problems trying to run it alongside other virus programs like McAfee).

Something I wanted to add, that can't possibly be an isolated incident(in my case)..... I disabled the Windows 7 "Hybernate" and "Log Off" options and, once again, a HUGE PITA problem is gone. What happened/was happening, was that, when I would let the computer sit for any period of time(20 minutes or so), it would log off and then take FOREVERRRRRRR to come back online again(sometimes 2 minutes). I know, 2 minutes, right? lol.... IT'S HELL when you're NEEDING to get work or inventory, etc., done, but the computer is not able to get online for 1 MINUTE, let alone 2. Especially with my schedule!(VERY static, and opportunity active, as it were... I have a minute, I take it, and that's not VERY often, ya know?). I basically went into the "Control Panel", went to "Security" section, went into the 'advanced' section of 'power options', I believe, and shut down ANYTHING that would slow down my desire to get 'ON LINE'! (I do let the display go to sleep after 10 minutes...... This does NOT stop the network driver from doing it's job.) Another problem with this 'issue' is pretty clear.... When it's not online it's NOT UPDATING MY AVAST OR MALWAREBYTES! lol. It's also not updating my windows 7 or network drivers, and eventually can become an issue with how the computer runs.

If anyone is having this problem with 'the computer is taking too long to wake up and get back on line', let me know, I'll post the link that I found that walked me through it. I believe it was "www.bleepingcomputer.com".... But I found it by just typing into google, "my computer is taking a long time to wake up".

Best wishes, all! I know these computer 'issues' can be NIGHMARE-CAUSING!

PS> GET YOUR DATA BACKED UP, AND YOU WILL THANK YOURSELF, LATER! DON'T ROLL YOUR EYES AT ME! hahahah... No, seriously, get a portable HD and maybe an online back up, it's TOTALLY worth it when you look at the consequence of not having it, ya know?
Old 01-19-2012, 12:08 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
No one mentioned Microsoft Security Essentials? Top three are MSE, Avast, and AVG. It really depends on preference which one to go with. They all use about 60mb of ram and have fast scans, with constant definition updates. However, I've had personal experience with a lot of false positives from AVG and not catching spyware after test scans, with MSE picking up its slack immediately. A good combination would be MSE or Avast, teamed up with Malwarebytes and Ace Utilities. Ace Utilities is a very robust, and lite system cleaner. Simply put, it's pure badass. Firewalls are good to have, but aren't really imperative for your average user.
I used to think MSE was all that. Not no more.

Been nailed twice by HEAVY DUTY viruses(2 slightly different ones I think?) in the last month. All while having MSE installed. Both times I've had to reformat. The first one kicked me off the internet and then wouldn't let me do anything but turn the computer on/off(after it had supposedly performed a scan detecting 27 viruses on it). The next one deleted all the programs/files on my computer, performed some other type of scan detecting multiple problems with ALL my hardware and software, and then did basically the same thing(only turn PC on or off, no access to NOTHING). They both were trying to sell me some kind of expensive software that would supposedly "fix" all the supposed "problems, errors, and/or viruses" now being "detected" on my computer. Ever heard of "Windows Security 2012"? Yeah right...I didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday you know? I ain't buying squat. I just make sure I've always got multiple backup copies of any valuable data on numerous external/removeable discs/drives. Especially now, since ALL OF THE SUDDEN Microsoft Security Essentials ISN'T going to catch EVERYTHING like it used to, apparently leaving my system vulnerable to being hijacked at any given moment...

Last edited by MudHippy; 01-19-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:02 PM

It sounds like you got a nasty trojan.

Were the MSE definitions fully updated? Did you have MSE set to monitor all incoming and outgoing files? It's possible that MSE might have missed it depending on how recent the trojan was created as well. Keep in mind no virus scanner is perfect. However, MSE integrates with Windows nicely and it's definitions are updated all the time. It also uses a minimal amount of memory while running in the background.

It's really up to you to watch out for questionable data and to click the right link when trying to download something (not the advertisement). Virus protection is only there to give you a helping hand. Trojans need user permission to infect a computer. For example, an executable labeled "virus scanner" with a hidden trojan inside it. You run the executable and the trojans extracts thus infecting the computer and spreading. This could happen with any virus protection software. If you give the file permission to run. It will run.

Also, your folder and files were probably not deleted. Some trojans play tricks on people by setting folder and file attributes to hidden. If you went into folder properties and selected "show hidden files and folders," everything would show up. Still.. re loading the operating system was probably the best move since fixing what you had would have taken a VERY long time.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:22 PM

Hey Mud,

Yeah, I had the one back in the day, "Windows Internet Security 2010", ... Misspelling all over the place, pop ups by the hundreds, kept coming. The first time I got it, I made the mistake of clicking the 'x' to shut that off... Then, by the second time, I'd learned and stopped the second one by shutting down and rebooting in safe mode, then following 'bleepingcomputer.com' advice and instructions from my laptop/printed out. The first one DESTROYED my OS, plain and simple. Pulled all the files off the HD and said "BUBYE"! Not forgetting to mention; I HADN'T LEARNED TOO MUCH, cuz it took me several more months to learn that MCAFEE HAD TO GO, FOREVER! lol.

Avast has caught everything that malwarebytes hasn't, vice versa, and I couldn't be happier, so far. Firefox hasn't been too bad, either, regarding "Cannot Connect"(it WILL NOT go to a site or link w/out going through my Avast and Malwarebytes, and it even catches stuff on it's own, regarding, "Sites that DESTROY!" lol....) Of course, only difference with most is that I pay for them. I'm sure I don't 'HAVE TO', but I don't mind, and it's working so far for months of MUCH FASTER surfing! lol.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:25 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
It sounds like you got a nasty trojan.

Were the MSE definitions fully updated? Did you have MSE set to monitor all incoming and outgoing files? It's possible that MSE might have missed it depending on how recent the trojan was created as well. Keep in mind no virus scanner is perfect. However, MSE integrates with Windows nicely and it's definitions are updated all the time. It also uses a minimal amount of memory while running in the background.

It's really up to you to watch out for questionable data and to click the right link when trying to download something (not the advertisement). Virus protection is only there to give you a helping hand. Trojans need user permission to infect a computer. For example, an executable labeled "virus scanner" with a hidden trojan inside it. You run the executable and the trojans extracts thus infecting the computer and spreading. This could happen with any virus protection software. If you give the file permission to run. It will run.

Also, your folder and files were probably not deleted. Some trojans play tricks on people by setting folder and file attributes to hidden. If you went into folder properties and selected "show hidden files and folders," everything would show up. Still.. re loading the operating system was probably the best move since fixing what you had would have taken a VERY long time.
I got two of them, whatever they were...

I don't know when the last time was that I'd updated the virus definitions before the first attack. I didn't really know I needed to do that regularly(I thought it took care of that, isn't that what you're telling me too?). I always have MSE set to the default settings(full strength)BTW. However, with that first one I SWEAR TO GOD I didn't click on ANYTHING. I was right in the middle of reading a thread on here...then WHAM!!! INSTANT INFECTION!!! Bye-bye useful computer...hello scamola! Or trojan, or what the hell ever it was...

The second one, might not have been the second. MSE had actually just moments prior caught 2 things coming down the pipe in rapid succesion. So I open up MSE to see what it was doing about it(ie to make sure whatever they were, they were deleted/quarantined etc.). As I'm doing that, and browsing the web simultaneously, Windows Media Player opens out of nowhere. Now this is where the dumbass in me takes over. And when all efforts to simply close it failed...this dumbass makes the poor decision to allow it to "play" whatever it was trying to play(ie gave it permission to run). BAD MOVE!!! INSTANTANEOUS INFECTION ROUND 2!!!

Yes, me learn lesson. Me NEVER click on ANYTHING that pop up randomly out of the blue again EVER!!!

Last edited by MudHippy; 01-19-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:38 PM

Hey Mud, ........

I didn't click on ANYTHING, the first time, when it 'began to insert itself'(or attempt to).... All I did was drag my cursor over something on Photobucket, on someone elses Albums(looking for a pic of a bumper like my friend wanted or something)... and WAMMO! Pop up cursor links SUCK! I reported it to Photobucket and they said, "That sux".... that's about the sum of what they said.

The 'clicking' part that got me was, as I said, 'clicking close' to try and close the pop up window for "do you want to scan?" I'm sure you got that already, just making sure, as many might not have run into these NASTY Trojans from HELL! lol.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:31 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Viruses: The main reason i run Ubuntu instead of windows.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:39 PM

on a serious note, the best anti-virus for Windows users would be Microsoft's security essentials and Microsoft Defender. They are both full-featured suites, and are provided free from Microsoft. Microsoft has really improved over the last year in terms of satisfying it's customers. Just search for these programs in Google. I have used them for a few years, and my pc never slows down and has never been infected. Of course it's always good to know your way around a computer as well.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:16 AM

I have to agree with guitarplayer360. MSE updates it's virus definations almost every day. It works well and is not a system hog.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:01 AM

I don't think that free trial version AV software work or fix issue properly. So use some paid version of any av software. It's more safe than free one.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:54 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AudreyH
I don't think that free trial version AV software work or fix issue properly. So use some paid version of any av software. It's more safe than free one.
This thread is six months old - FYI.

Also, I disagree with your opinion of free A/V software. Whether it is free/open source software or paid software has little impact on its ability to serve its intended purpose.

I use avast! Anti-Virus - it's 100% free (with paid versions available). Updates are released twice daily, more often if necessary, it is completely customizable and the control panel is extremely useful and intuitive.

Again, this is just my opinion, but as an I.T Manager for a living, I've done a lot of testing on various A/V applications and have found there to be little reason to pay for it - unless of course it's on a large scale, or there are specific audit requirements (SAS 70/SSAE 16, for example).

Fink

Quick Reply: Best anti virus?