Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

Best anti virus?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sometimes it's nice to take a trip down low-memory lane, even if you have to hijack a thread to do it.

Back on topic: I just used the AVG products to clean off some malware on my Parent's machine that just wouldn't go away. I'd tried Trend's House Call, SpyBot, AdAware, and some would detect but none would clean the malware. AVG did. Found it and eliminated. While I'm still probably going to have to rebuild the machine AVG got the computer to a functional point so I don't have to do so immediately. Thanks for the info!
Old 08-07-2006, 03:41 PM
Contributing Member

I've been using Avast! anti-virus, in combination with Zone Alarm firewall since I got my new laptop in January. I used to think it was overkill and firewalls were annoying and useless, but both of these were free and have an array of features that I can tweak to my liking. Zone Alarm has a nice feature that won't let anything access the internet unless I approve it. When it detects something, unless it's on my list it asks if I want to allow it once or always. Others probably do this also but I hadn't used anything with that feature before.

I used to use AVG and thought it was great, so I would recommend that also.

Last edited by Toyota Punk; 08-07-2006 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:43 PM

AVG x12
Old 08-17-2006, 09:19 AM

i love my etrust...
Old 08-17-2006, 09:33 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by data
i love my etrust...
I've been using that on one of my computers for a long time now. Works well it seems.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:29 AM

I have the Semantec Security Suite on my new laptop and have been very happy with it. I also use a free-ware called Avast on one of my desktops. I have been very happy with that one. It has caught a couple of viruses that my son accidentally downloaded when his computer was down.
Old 10-01-2006, 06:22 PM

Hmmm...I'm kinda surprised that no one has mentioned the ZoneLabs Suite.
I've been wanting to upgrade to it, but my old hardware doesnt meet the min reqs. Was wondering if anyone has used it for the AV software.
I have been running Zone Alarm Pro as my firewall for over 5 yrs...Its awesome.

I tried Symantec, McAfee, and Norton, all to my regret. None of them lasted me a week, before I had to completely reistall Windaows to get rid of each one, cause they screwed up my comp so it was practically useless. This was 6-8 yrs ago.

I've not been running ANY AV software since then. Just been depending on the ZA firewall, and AD-Aware and Spybot. Just tried Ewido a couple moths ago, seems like a nice piece. Found a couple things neither AdAware or Spybot found.

Thanks for the tips on AVG, I think I'll try it.
Old 10-01-2006, 06:29 PM

go to www.eset.com and get NOD32 for the best antivirus software. Im a computer tech on weekends and it is the only one that works 100% of the time without getting in your way. If your looking for fancy tools go with the Zone Alarm that blue stone said. But NOD32 runs in the background and is so small that it doesnt slow browsing at all. since I got it I havent had any problems.

as for spyware go with Ewido! I agree it is hands down better than spybot, spyware doctor, and adaware. or just run them all and it should catch everything. thats the wierd part to spyware programs. no single one picks up every thing, thats why I have spyware doctor, ewido and spybot!

Thats just one computer techs opinion...
Old 10-01-2006, 06:59 PM

So, do you have any idea if the Zone Alarm is difficult to uninstall, or does it come out clean? I really think the ZA firewall runs quiet and unnoticed in the background (once you get it set-up the way you want). Is the suite like that, or do you notice performance issues?

Right now I'm running seven spyware removers. I hardly ever have anything pop up on any of them, but when something does, its usually something that only one or two catch, and not the others...So in this case I figure the more the merrier, as long as they dont interfere with one another.

I recently started using Counter-Spy (the verdict is still out on that one), Ewido, and MS Defender.

Been using AdAware, Spybot and Spyware Blaster for years.

Just downloaded and am configuring AVG as I type this...
Old 10-01-2006, 07:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have eTrust on mine... primarily because Roadrunner provides it for free... it's ok...
Old 10-02-2006, 09:32 AM
Contributing Member

I use some firewall/antivirus software called Astaro on a dedicated firewall machine that scans incoming/outgoing packets on my network for virus', spy ware and so on. Does a great job, protecting my machines and web servers. But the problem is that even tho I run antivirus software on the machines as well, the family will disable it because it won't let them download some "funny video" than next thing you know -3 hours of my time

So basically you can have the best protection in the world and it won't matter at all unless you use your head when browsing.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:13 PM
Contributing Member

well its been almost a year since this page has seen any attention.

so whats the verdict?

i bought a computer recently, that i had a guy build for me. he highly recommended Avast. he said it was the industry standard in europe. he downloaded it on my computer and said to "stick with it. its free. and it works" so i did

ive used it now for a few months with no real complaints, but was just wondering if there is something better.

with avast, it seems like everyday its downloading newer versions of it. but just how well its protecting, i have no idea.

i have noticed that my internet explorer has been running with errors as of the last week. so i just downloaded the newest version of mozilla firefox.

so im just wondering if i should stick with the avast or try something else??
Old 09-17-2007, 12:23 PM

I run the free version of AVAST, I just re register it every one or two years. Its simple to use and do scans and its caught everything. havent had any problems in over a year!
Old 09-17-2007, 04:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by deserttoy84
I run the free version of AVAST, I just re register it every one or two years. Its simple to use and do scans and its caught everything. havent had any problems in over a year!
thats reassuring. well since i havent had any problems with it. maybe i will just stick with it then.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I just run whatever my Mac came with.

oh wait, it didn't...

Last edited by KevinInSac; 09-17-2007 at 05:07 PM.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by KevinInSac
I just run whatever my Mac came with.

oh wait, it didn't...

we got a comedian here
Old 09-17-2007, 05:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Spanky
we got a comedian here
Well back in the day, I used McAfee and Spy Sweeper at the same time. When none of those worked, I used eWidow to remove whatever was plauging my computer.

Worked like a charm.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:26 PM
Contributing Member

Avira Antivir over here. Also free, seems to do the trick just fine. It gets good reviews.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:07 PM

av software

linuxrunner- i am surprised you didn't mention clamwin (from the linux community) or just going all together to one of the most pivotal OSs available... Ubuntu. There is almost nothing you can't do on Ubuntu that you can only do on M$, plus it is much safer.

If you must use M$ (and I do, I have to support it) Grisoft is fine. It is free. If you aren't stuck on needing a free solution, I have heard good things about the pay for version of AVG 7.5, Panda AV 2007, or Kaspersky 6. I get free McAfee with Comcast digital for windows only, so... go with the path of least resistance. My other systems are all linux or derivatives of linux, e.g. OS X.

Originally Posted by linuxrunner
I use some firewall/antivirus software called Astaro on a dedicated firewall machine that scans incoming/outgoing packets on my network for virus', spy ware and so on. Does a great job, protecting my machines and web servers. But the problem is that even tho I run antivirus software on the machines as well, the family will disable it because it won't let them download some "funny video" than next thing you know -3 hours of my time

So basically you can have the best protection in the world and it won't matter at all unless you use your head when browsing.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:06 PM

AVG for anti virus and adaware for adware-spyware

Quick Reply: Best anti virus?