GPS & Communication Discussions here pertain to the use and troubleshooting of GPS, CB radio, and amateur radio

Two meter HAM

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 10:07 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My external speaker is the same as the one pictured above, I think. I found a good little mounting location that didn't require drilling new holes. It is down by the accelerator pedal on an existing bracket on the center console right below the dash (near the shifter, I guess). There's a stock metal bracket that sticks out (towards the firewall) just to the right of where your right ankle would rest when your foot is on the accelerator pedal. There were two holes in that bracket that were perfectly spaced to mount the speaker bracket on there. The speaker points up towards the driver and it is out of the way. Of course that is on a 2002 4Runner, and you probably don't have that handy little bracket on your FJ.

The coax connectors do need to be soldered on... actually, only one end on my coax needed to be soldered on... the antenna mount end came pre-mounted on the cable that I purchased. It is quite easy to install the radio end connector, just follow the included directions, and make sure you don't overdo it with the solder and cause a short. Check for no continuity between the ground shield and the center conductor when you're done.

Last edited by GSGALLANT; 10-30-2008 at 10:11 AM.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:15 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Cool, thanks.
I have a meter for that to test the continuity.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I enjoy my Yaesu Radios

Last edited by B_Mac; 10-30-2008 at 10:40 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:06 PM

I own and operate the Yaesu:

Portables
VX150: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/3187.html
VX170: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/0170.html
VX7R: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/0777.html
FT60R: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/0060.html

Mobile
FT7800R: http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...xvrs/3780.html

I have also modified all of them to tx in the 150MHz range.

Last edited by B_Mac; 10-30-2008 at 10:44 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:16 PM

I am a Firefighter/Paramedic and a HAM Radio Operator. I decided to put in a Yaesu FT-7800 mobile radio in my vehicle after my stock Toyota AM/FM Radio gave out. I use this radio for both Fire/EMS and HAM Radio Operations and it works great. I have never had any troubles with it. I also ended up purchasing 4 Yaesu Portable Radios (VX150, VX170, VX7R, FT60R) and they all work great. I have used and abused all of them and they have never given me any grief. Below I posted a few pictures of my setup. The 7800 has a detachable faceplate which is a nice piece of mind when parking my vehicle in risky areas. The base for the 7800 is mounted under the front passenger seat, kind of hard to see in the picture.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:23 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

That is a nice install Brandon.
What antenna are you using?

Been looking at YouTube for some tutorials on how to solder the PL259 and RG58U coax together.

My coax that is coming is bare on both ends.
One end will go to the mount for the antenna.
One wire on it needs to be soldered, while the inner wire goes under a set screw.

Then when I run the coax through the firewall, the PL259 plug for the radio will have to be soldered to the coax.

Have not found an RG58U vid yet, but I am pretty sure it is like this one.

[YOUTUBE]PzXXjzmA-IE[/YOUTUBE]
Old 10-30-2008, 07:01 PM

I am using a Tram Dual Band (VHF/UHF) Antenna, picture below. I bought mine off of Ebay. I mounted it on the opposite side of my AM/FM radio antenna using a Larsen NMO Mount, also picture posted below. The video looks to be right on as far as putting the PL259 on coax, or at least that is what I did (did watch the video before hand) and my set up works great.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:13 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Nice setup B Mac!!
Old 10-30-2008, 07:31 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Here is my Icom 207H in my truck.
I bought my mount from a company called www.ram-mount.com. The picture with the GPS mount on my "oh $@#& handle" is also from this company. The mount is for the Garmin GPS IV.
The base to my 207H is up under my dash just behind the glove box.
I am in the process of buying a new rig. The Icom IC-706IIG for HF. The antenna I bought for the 706 was the Yaesu ATAS-120 with a mod for the 706 for compatibility.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:26 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Corey,

That video is exactly how you will be soldering on the PL259 connector. The connector should even come with a small instruction sheet telling you the actual measurements you need to strip the insulation.

I have the same coax/mount as B_Mac posted above.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:28 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Cool, thanks.
What do you think about tools for stripping the coax.
I found three at the Shack.
The last one though says it is for RG59, not RG58U like I have coming to me next week.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102872

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062637

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2371057

Old 10-31-2008, 08:12 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't use a stripper when I did mine. Military taught me to use an exacto knife.

I bought the solder type connector for my HT from Fry's. I had to ask, the guy said NO, they didn't have anything like that. On my way out, I saw it on the shelf. Hmmm, minimum wages at their best.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:18 AM

Corey-

I have used the second one before. It works fine. Using an sharp knife is just as easy if you just watch what you are doing. Just as easy either way. I wouldn't spend much on a stripper The key is not to nick the wire or sheathing.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:37 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Thanks Dave, Brandon.
I have a couple of sharp Exactos around here somewhere.

I would like to install those two speakers today, but it is pouring down here right now.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:31 PM

Do any of yall know how to become a member of ARES, SKYWARN or or the other emergency service which i cannot recall the name of right now...
Old 10-31-2008, 04:54 PM

VSU-

You need to try and find another HAM in the area that is apart of ARES. You could also look on the internet for ARES listings in your area. Last resort might be to monitor nets in the area and see if you can catch their weekly or monthly net over the air.

As far as SKYWARN that service is usually closely related to ARES, often consists of similar members. SKYWARN is a HAM Radio Net that allows HAM Radio Operators to be in contact with a Net Controller that is either stationed at or close communication with the National Weather Service in the area. SKYWARN nets are usually activated for Severe Weather but could be used for Emergency Communications. I would contact your National Weather Service Station to get more info about becoming a Weather Spotter and SKYWARN Member.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:08 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I need to find out how to access these satellites too that Gordon West talks about in his book.
He is saying that many on two meters are talking around the world by accessing the satellite system.

He has a lot of good to say about running two meters.

Well shoot...
We have rain all next week, and being how my shop is the great outdoors, it may be awhile before I get my setup all put in.

I think I am still going to spring for that VX-8r Yaesu HT to mess with.
I will learn a lot more too since I can run it in home in my easy chair and not have to be out in the rig to learn about these things.

Have to learn too how to program in the local repeaters.
I read that you can do that via your computer and a cable and software.
It will also put them onto the mobile unit too.

So much to learn...
Old 10-31-2008, 05:48 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Is one of these external SWR/strength meters recommended?
I have seen them on the Universal Radio site.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/meters/1198.html
I guess it is plug and play on the Yaesu 857D, 898, and 897D models.
To bad it also requires you wire it up to 12v to power the illumination part of it.
Would have to tap into the parking lights no doubt or a circuit for it.

Below in the first video is the meter mounted to an 857D, the same radio I have on order.

[YOUTUBE]DojkzpvtYBk[/YOUTUBE]

Here are a couple more videos of the 857D.

[YOUTUBE]Utkpi_GoKw4[/YOUTUBE]

And here is that ASAT-120A antenna I want to install at a later date to replace the Diamond one I just got.
He has the older 857, not the 857D.

[YOUTUBE]8zZHURpHvvo[/YOUTUBE]
Old 10-31-2008, 09:56 PM
Contributing Member

Hey I just picked up on this thread. I have been a Ham since College, KD5EJO. Technician Class, never picked up the code.

Cory, you did the right thing with the multiband 857D. You will find that using single sideband on two meters, 6 meters, and 70 centimeters is great fun with a yagi antenna and a good amplifier and preamp. I have used similar radio for the annual VHF UHF QSO parties and it is loads of fun driving around with all these huge antennas stuck to your vehicle any way you can carry them talking to people 300-400 miles away without using skip, repeaters, stellites, or anything.

Another use for your ham radio is hookup an autopatch to your home telephone with a radio and you can use your home phone from your rig. (Also known as a cell phone replacement.

I am a broadcast engineer/communication maintenance techincian so I do this for a living as well.

If you can afford it convert your coax over to RG-223 someday it is light years ahead of RG58. Silver plated, double shielded, awsome stuff. I recommend that you buy a GOOD set of crimpers and use crimp on connectors with your coaxes unless you are really good at soldering. Poor solder connections can cause your radio damage.

I am working on getting my wife her license, and of course, outfitting our vehicles. I have traded vehicles some much and been so busy the last 3 years I haven't got anything on the air right now.

As for the meter you are looking at you will be much better off buying one of these:

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Produc...ductid=MFJ-269

Because it allows you to check and tune your antennas before you hook your radio to them instead of trying to check your antennas with the radio itself. Lots of new radios have built in meters that do what your outside meter your looking at will do anyway.

FM user typically all use vertically polarized antennas like whip antennas and SSB user use horizontally polarized antennas. That use reportedly because most man made noise is vertically polarized and with SSB you often do weak signal work over long distances. For repeater work vertical antennas and FM modulation is great, but you'll needs some more obtrusive antennas for weak signal fun.

A word on gain for omni-directional antennas (antennas that transmit in all directions at once.) the height of the antenna is to be proportional to the wavelength of the frequency you are using. 5/8 wave is typically the best gain for vertical antennas because it emits the least radiation towards the ground and the sky. On horizontal antennas you stack mulitple bays on top of each other to bring the radiation pattern towards the horizon and get your signal further.

Directional antennas come in various types but one of the most effective is the yagi, looks like a flat version of your TV antenna on the roof. With about 150 watts and an 11 element yagi I can talk about 150-200 miles on an average day. From my truck! (on a hill or raised area.)

I am bringing all this up because most 2 meter users are repeater oriented and don't know much about anything else. Tey use their Ham licenses as if all they need is a walkie talkie.. and that is OK but I get bored with that quickly. Glad to see some interest let me know if I can help with any questions.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:56 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Kristopher, thanks for the information.
I will probably just run stock coax for now since I am a newbie at this.

I looked at that meter you linked, and I would not be able to mount that on my dash like the smaller one I was looking at though.
That thing is huge.

I hear this is a very addictive/expensive hobby, so I will be swapping/selling out gear down the road.

But yes, I went with the more expensive radio on a recommendation from a ham friend who said it might be the last radio I ever need for a mobile.
It seems to have pretty good reviews on it.

Quick Reply: Two meter HAM