GPS & Communication Discussions here pertain to the use and troubleshooting of GPS, CB radio, and amateur radio

Two meter HAM

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 06:12 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Yeah, that is the model I would put in my rig too.
Unit under the seat, the faceplate somewhere on the dash.

It is cool how a lot of those have the detachable faceplate for them so you can mount the guts elsewhere.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll have to find out what kind of unit he uses.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
(disclaimer- I know nothing about HAM radios) but I think Corey you should go for the nonhand held one first because it does have that much more power and in the long run as you stated you would get it anyways. When the pop hits the fan and for what ever reason your hand held is out of batteries you would be kicking your self for not having it. I know that battery technology is pretty good but still the one that is hard wired into your truck is going to work when the handheld battery light is flashing. Even though your hard mounted one in reality is battery powered look at the size differents and tell me which one is going to last the longest. Now don't get me wrong for your apllication it seems like the handheld will work for you pretty good. Just my .02cents

Good luck with your purchase and keep us posted
Old 10-03-2008, 06:48 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Will do 96.
I hear that HAM radio is an addiction, so more than likely I will end up with both units, and an extra battery pack for the handheld.

The handheld would afford me to get into the hobby right away, where as the rig unit would take much more work as installing it and an antenna on the bumper up front.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:01 PM
Contributing Member

There is a test administered in Renton the 3rd Sat each month

http://www.mikeandkey.org/education.htm#ve_mikeandkey

Other tests in area also.

I tested with the Boeing BEARS. I have a dual band HT with an external ant. When I had my big wreck some years ago (before my cell phone) I called for help through the Search and Rescue repeater (145.110). There was an active search and a county Deputy called it in for me. 5 aid cars, 2 engines and about 6 troopers.

I am KC7OFP
Old 10-03-2008, 09:12 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Thanks Dave for the info on Renton.
I also learned today that the call signs have two letters, one number, and followed by three letters.

Good thing you had your radio with you back then.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Corey
I also learned today that the call signs have two letters, one number, and followed by three letters.
Yeah they pick it in a random order, or you can get a "vanity" callsign where you can pick what you want if it is available.

I am KJ4ASM.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:05 AM

Wow it has been a while since I have posted in the forum's, but this thread caught my attention.

I am currently using ICOM units.
for the mobile a v-8000 was my choice, 75 watts on high power front firing speaker simple to use. down side, no remote mount, the entire unit is mounted in the chosen location, single band, cant monitor 2 frequencies at once (there is a dual watch option but if you are listening to a conversation it will switch to the second freq momentarily causing gaps in the audio)

and for handheld I chose the ICOM T90A tri-bander with 5 watt max power. It is togher to figure out at first and I still haven't gotten into all the features, but it is a nice small radio. downside, price this unit cost more than my mobile in the truck.

I chose ICOM based on previous uses in the fire service they could take most of the abuse we served out and survive! almost firefighter proof!

If I had to pick a different mobile rig I would choose one capable of cross band repeating, so I could use the full power of the mobile with the handheld away from my truck, and as a bonus APRS (automatic position reporting system) friendly features built in to both units would be great.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:16 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
I have an ICOM 207h. They no longer make this model it has been replaced by the IC-2820H. I have to say I was interested in these new models however my older ICOM has performed flawlessly for so long I have no need to get an upgrade. ICOM is virtually bulletproof!!
Corey, if you get hooked up give me a shout out on 2Meter
K6ZXK
Old 10-10-2008, 10:06 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Will do Toyo.

My book from Amazon came the other day, will be reading up on the test questions soon.

For kicks though, I read one whole page while thumbing through it, and I got all the answers correct without studying.
I know a little basic radio and electrical theory from years gone past.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:17 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Change of plans.
I may get that nice Yaesu mobile (oooops, handheld I meant) down the road, but after doing much conversing with Wayne, he has talked me into getting the same radio he has, the Yaesu 857D.
It is expensive, but it will be the last one I need.
Plus it puts out 100 watts on some of the bands.
I will be using it on 2 meters and 70 cm to start out with.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/1857.html

Ordered a Diamond NR770HA antenna, 18' of coax, and a GL58 mount for the ARB bumper.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...antm/2568.html
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...antm/2210.html

To operate in the lower HF bands, another antenna must be added, and the radio is equipped with a second socket for one.

Also I will have to drill the hole on the ARB bumper out to 1/2" as the mounting stud is much bigger than CB.

I will order the radio when I get back to work if the strike ends soon.
The radio gets rave reviews, Wayne has been very happy with his.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:40 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
[QUOTE=Corey;50950254]Change of plans.
I may get that nice Yaesu mobile down the road, but after doing much conversing with Wayne, he has talked me into getting the same radio he has, the Yaesu 857D.
It is expensive, but it will be the last one I need.
Plus it puts out 100 watts on some of the bands.
I will be using it on 2 meters and 70 cm to start out with.

AHHAHAHHAHHAHAH "the last one I need"
Thats what I said.
Ham Radio can be deceptive. Once you get started it becomes more and more interesting. Today, Tech license Tomorrow, Amateur Extra Class and that means bigger and more expensive rigs, your own "Ham Shack", amps, CW, antenna's on and on.
Good luck on your exam!!!
Old 10-20-2008, 04:17 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Thanks, still have a lot to cover in that book.
Looks like I will try for the third Saturday next month to get it.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:57 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Cool, Boeing has a ham radio club.
I knew they did, I just had never been to their site.
They even have repeaters setup.

http://www.qsl.net/k7nws/

http://mysite.verizon.net/evernhamms91/bearons.htm
Old 10-20-2008, 06:08 PM

So you went for the hard mounted one after all I think you will be very happy with that decision

good luck with it sounds like it is going to be alot of fun.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:40 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Yeah, I still have my eye though on the HT though.
I understand the menu system on this 857D is a chore to learn, but it is one heck of a radio.

One of the smallest mobiles on the market, but also very powerful.
As Wayne explained it to me, it might be the last one I need mobile wise since it can cover so many bands.

I have been getting some info over at the FJ forum I use too, and if I want to talk really long distance with it on 10 meter or so, I can use an antenna called a Budpole.
http://www.buddipole.com/

Use the 2 meter and 70 cm for regular talk with the antenna on the ARB, and then when I want to reach out and touch someone on the planet somewhere, hook up the Budpole outside of the rig.
That would be cool to do on a camping trip.

I did not even know this stuff existed.
Many though such as Wayne carry around 80' of wire they can string up in a tree to use on the 10 meter band too for long distance.

They have a few kits, here is the deluxe one.
http://www.buddipole.com/debupa.html
Old 10-26-2008, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by eric-the-red
Only 35 questions?? Our test up here is 100 questions, with a pass mark of 70%. Above 80% gets you an honours certification with access to all the amateur bands. Not to boast or anything but I scored 88%
because you're in canada, the tests are measure in metric. so 100 in canada is like 35 in the US...

lol.... JK...

in the US the most basic license is a TECHNICIAN class. 35 questions. i got mine about 5 years ago, when the no morse code went into effect.

but this class limits you to the the higher bands.
Originally Posted by arfrk.org
Technician Class operators are authorized to use all amateur VHF and UHF frequencies (all frequencies above 50 MHz). Technicians also may operate on the 80, 40, and 15 meter HF bands using Morse code, and on the 10 meter band using Morse code, voice, and digital modes. No Morse code test is required.
a GENERAL class gets you in the HF bands. this requires passing another test.
In addition to the Technician privileges, General Class operators are authorized to operate on any frequency in the 160, 30, 17, 12, and 10 meter bands. They may also use significant segments of the 80, 40, 20, and 15 meter bands.
and finally, the AMATEUR EXTRA:

General licensees may upgrade to Extra Class by passing a 50-question multiple-choice examination. No Morse code test is required. In addition to some of the more obscure regulations, the test covers specialized operating practices, advanced electronics theory, and radio equipment design.
since each country has their own licensing scheme, the canadian one may just be an all-in-one license.

personally, my TECH license is all i need. i got it because i'm a volunteer emergency/safety thingee person at work and this is a way to communicate, besides FRS.

i ended up getting a yaesu VX-7R since it is such a geeky toy...

i use a mag mounted antenna while in the vehicle. i recently got a mirage 35/50 amp for it and it works like a charm.

i also am in the process of converting all my electrical connections in the truck using anderson pole connections as per ARES/RACES recommendations. plus my bug out kit for the radio contains all sorts of connections and junk to do convertions.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:45 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I ordered the Yaesu 857D yesterday, it will arrive next Monday.

My antenna arrived today along with the mount.
But...the guy who took my order yesterweek forgot to include the coax on the order

I called today and have 18' of coax ordered, but the ends are not on it.
You must solder one end of the coax to the 90 degree angle on the GLP58 mount, and after the coax is through the firewall, you solder the end on that end that screws into the back of the radio.

Got the antenna mounted just a bit ago.
The step drills I bought the other day from Harbor Freight worked good.
I thought I only had to drill out to 1/2", but the stock hole was already bigger than that.
I ended up using the biggest drill and taking it to also 3/4".
They drill fast too, I say it only took a few revolutions of the drill.
The plating on the ARB bumpers are around 1/8" thick I think?
I did not measure the thickness of it.
Once this is all done, I will have a full writeup in my buildup thread and on my personal homepage.

Had to drill the hole out on the ARB bumper to almost 3/4".
My step drills that I bought the other day max out at 3/4".

Here is a shot with the weather cap screwed onto the mounting base for when you do not run an antenna.

Side angle of the antenna.

Head on shot, very stealthy.
You can hardly even see it.

Closeup of it from the side.

You can barely see the antenna on the rig.
It will remain pretty much stealth there until I invest in that bigger ASAT-120A antenna.
That antenna can be used for all the bands the Yaesu 857D is capable of, and it is auto tuning.

The info that came with this antenna says it also will fold over, but I have not tried that with it yet.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:54 AM

what are the "costs" of getting a HAM radio and liscense, i realize the radios and antenna can be very expensive, but does the test and/or liscense cost anything?
Old 10-29-2008, 11:58 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I think the test is $20?
I am still studying my book.
That book here is a good cheap investment.
http://www.amazon.com/Technician-Cla.../dp/0945053452
It also came with a CD with six chapters of him recording talk on the bands, pretty cool.

Quick Reply: Two meter HAM