GPS & Communication Discussions here pertain to the use and troubleshooting of GPS, CB radio, and amateur radio

I need a CB

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 06:05 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need a CB

I need, well, more like want, a CB Radio in the 4Runner. Im looking to spend $150 or so total.

However, the whip needs to be easily removed, so I can park int he garage.

What are my options for the antenna, and what are the best parts to get?
Old 07-07-2005, 06:10 PM
Banned

i like the cobra cbs and the best antenna imo is the firestik. http://www.firestik.com/CatalogFrame.htm..

i have this one http://www.cobra.com/index.php?page=...uct_id=12&id=1

no complaints. does what its supposed to do.

Ebay usually has decent deals
Old 07-07-2005, 06:17 PM
Banned

Ok, so thats about $100. What should I do about the removable antenna though?

or...could I mount it horizontally ont he roof?
Old 07-07-2005, 06:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gangus2006
Ok, so thats about $100. What should I do about the removable antenna though?

or...could I mount it horizontally ont he roof?
there is a removable mount u can buy. THere is a write up by bobsr5 i believe about this. sorry, i dont have any links to the mount
Old 07-07-2005, 06:39 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

i got that same radio at wal-mart online for about $50.. the more ya save, the more ya spend (on other things)
Old 07-07-2005, 07:15 PM
Banned

i have a radio shack brand 40 channel cb... it is already hooked up to a ground loop isolator/noise suppressor and is wired to a cigarette plug..... it's for sale if anyone wants it.... no antenna though...... if you want it make an offer
Old 07-08-2005, 09:13 AM

How quick does the quick release have to be?

I'm using a Firestik quick release, QD4A, and a Radio Shack whip. It comes apart pretty quick and I stow the whip in the back of my truck.

Otherwise, antennas like the Wilson 1000 have a whip that spins on and can come off almost as quick. They give you a little cap to use to cover the base. This type of antenna is pretty common. Heck, just about any magnetic mount will let you spin the whip off in a jiff.

The best antenna is a 1/4 wavelength whip, but for CB that would be about 9 feet long. Otherwise all antennas use coils that let them be physically shorter. A good compromise is a 4' Firestik, very popular. The Wilson antennas are also really popular. Where do think you might want to mount the antenna? If you'd like to mount is semi-permanently, your options open up a little more. If you'd like a magnetic mount, then I would stick with a Wilson 1000, good bang for the buck and lots of them out there.

Radios, stick with the big names, Uniden (which I have and like), Cobra, etc. They are all legally the same output and the antenna is really the big factor in range. The really cheap ones typically have pretty lousy microphones, so there's a point where you get better parts. I don't personally have side bands and haven't missed them. I do like having a weather radio built-in to another radio (I have one in a ham radio, but having it in a CB is also convenient).

I'd spend about 50/50 radio/antenna, that should give you a good combination. Your best money spent is on a good antenna and hook up whatever name brand radio you can get with what's left of your money.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DaveInDenver
How quick does the quick release have to be?

I'm using a Firestik quick release, QD4A, and a Radio Shack whip. It comes apart pretty quick and I stow the whip in the back of my truck.

Otherwise, antennas like the Wilson 1000 have a whip that spins on and can come off almost as quick. They give you a little cap to use to cover the base. This type of antenna is pretty common. Heck, just about any magnetic mount will let you spin the whip off in a jiff.

The best antenna is a 1/4 wavelength whip, but for CB that would be about 9 feet long. Otherwise all antennas use coils that let them be physically shorter. A good compromise is a 4' Firestik, very popular. The Wilson antennas are also really popular. Where do think you might want to mount the antenna? If you'd like to mount is semi-permanently, your options open up a little more. If you'd like a magnetic mount, then I would stick with a Wilson 1000, good bang for the buck and lots of them out there.

Radios, stick with the big names, Uniden (which I have and like), Cobra, etc. They are all legally the same output and the antenna is really the big factor in range. The really cheap ones typically have pretty lousy microphones, so there's a point where you get better parts. I don't personally have side bands and haven't missed them. I do like having a weather radio built-in to another radio (I have one in a ham radio, but having it in a CB is also convenient).

I'd spend about 50/50 radio/antenna, that should give you a good combination. Your best money spent is on a good antenna and hook up whatever name brand radio you can get with what's left of your money.
Im ordering the radio int he link above from wally world ($50 bux yo!). I gotta find a dealer of the Firestix. Should I get a Firestix or a Firestix II? How long should I get? Im probably gonna mount it int he rear hatch area like int he writeup int he tech section, but make it possible to remove the antenna so I can park int eh garage.

Besides the radio and antenna, what else should I get?

Wheres another good place to mount the antenna for good reception?
Old 07-08-2005, 02:58 PM

OPTION 1
It depends on your CB usage also... do you want to communicate with people far away or just local highway use and 4x4 use?

If its for chatting with friends while 4wheelin' or checking where the speed traps are on the highway I say check on E-bay or get a 40 channel at walmart, etc.

OPTION 2
If high performance is important, then spend the extra cash and get a CB that has multiple options, weather, meter, etc...

Antenna options in my opinion can be a magnetic mount (easily removable and it makes sense if you are using it for option #1, that way you are only using it when needed.

Option 2 I would look into a pernament mount (hood mount, etc) and get a performance antenna.

I use the cheap=o version and magnetic mount and couldnt be happier. Plus I saved extra money for other toys.
Good luck !!!
Old 07-08-2005, 03:31 PM
Contributing Member

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62749
Old 07-10-2005, 06:17 AM
lee
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ROOFGOOF
checking where the speed traps are on the highway
how do you do this with a cb???
Old 07-10-2005, 06:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lee
Talk to truckers.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:13 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by lee

Listen for the word "smokies"!!
Old 07-11-2005, 10:34 AM
lee
Contributing Member

what channel do truckers use?
Old 07-11-2005, 11:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Channel 19

Also, if you offroad, I would say skip the magnet mount, once it gets swept off the roof and slides along your paint on the side of the truck you will ditch it anyway.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:54 AM
Banned

If I was you I would get a Radio Shake CB and get a K40 trunk mount. The antenna is pricy ($60) but its the best