GPS & Communication Discussions here pertain to the use and troubleshooting of GPS, CB radio, and amateur radio

Frequently ask questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Frequently ask questions

Hello all i figured that since a cb is a very important part of communication in the off roading world that this lis of F.A.Q'S that i found on low range off roads website. this list can be found on the following link along with some of their products
http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/index...cessories.html

im not employed by nor have i ever ordered from them ( yet) but i figured this might help alot of people out. so with out further to do here is their list

CB Radios and Accessories

Low Range Off Road is your source for CB Radio's, antenna's, mounts and cables. We are a dealer for Midland, Uniden, Cobra, Firestik Antenna, Wilson Antenna, RoadPro and More. Please check back often if you do not see what you want, we are adding a lot more product to this section. Please call us or email us if there is something you need for your CB Setup and we will locate it for you at a great price!
Frequently Asked Questions:
-Will I need an antenna with my CB? Yes, you will need to purchase an antenna for use of your CB. Low Range has these available in varying lengths and configurations. We recommend using a flexible antenna on an off road vehicle so that it does not become damaged. If you do not see listed something that you are looking for please don't hesitate to ask us if we can get it for you. We generally are lower on price and can locate the parts for you in a short amount of time through our manufacturers.
-What is the normal thread on the base of CB Antenna's? 3/8" x 24. The antenna's generally (If fiberglass Wilson or Firestik) will need a base to mount the antenna to. Low Range has these available.
-What does SWR mean? Standing Wave Ratio. The better your SWR Ratio, the higher output to your antenna resulting in better clarity, better range and less power loss of your transmitter output.
-How do I tune my antenna to my radio? You can only tune your antenna if your antenna is tuneable. Generally you: 1. Connect SWR meter between antenna and radio. 2. Measure SWR of first channel (No. 1) and SWR of last channel (23 or 40). 3. Raise or lower whip so both SWR's are equal. If the SWR for channel 40 is too high, lower the whip. If the SWR for channel 40 is too low, raise whip. 4. Adjust in increments of 1/8"
-What does a tuneable tip on an antenna do? A “tunable tip” allows for fine tuning SWR and resonant frequency. You will need an SWR meter to do this.
-Can't I just buy an antenna and a cb radio and be set? Yes, you can do this- however tuning allows your radio and antenna to reach their maximum capability.
-I have been reading a lot on the internet, reviews and such on a radio model- does this necessarily mean that it is a bad radio? No, not everyone has the same combination of radio and antenna, cables, proper grounding, etc. You can see how many variables would account into a bad review of a particular radio. If it is design of a physical attributes and/or features then it would be personal opinion. A lot of reviews we have read may have been resolved by proper setup and tuning.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:46 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanx Flea
Old 08-15-2013, 11:19 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I did end up at low range off road and grabbed the Cobra 75 wxst... I did a write up and just pretty much finished the install of the hidden remote box and handheld unit connector in the console, and the mounting of the bracket kit and fire ring. I got the MK-204R kit from firestik. 3 foot Firestik2 with tunable tip, Firestik heavy duty spring and a Uniden BC20/ a 20 watt Bearcat external speaker.

I was able to run the coax from the passenger tail light to the center console, without ever having to coil it or even lay it over......

I'm having the tip professionally soldered in, and yes I bought one the didn't have the connector on it already because I wanted to be able to run it as narrow as possible for some tight areas. Its a professional Mobile CB and other stuffs shop near me, and he is also going to set the SWR'S.

I learned a lot from reading many threads and write ups, great ones like this one and got plenty of help on my build thread. Thanks a lot Flea, I mean it!

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-15-2013 at 11:23 PM.