GPS & Communication Discussions here pertain to the use and troubleshooting of GPS, CB radio, and amateur radio

CB/HAM Radio

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CB/HAM Radio

Hey, i was talking to a lady the other day who used to be a trucker, and we were talkin bout radios and such and she told me that there were some CB's that also have HAM radio combined. I've searched far and wide on the web for one (she mentioned galaxy) but i can't find one. Has anyone else heard of this?

Also, i know this sounds newb but thats pretty much what i am when it comes to radios, can 1 antenna be used for both CB and HAM? I don't think so but hey its worth a shot. I wanted to put both into my truck (HAM for comm. distance) and i think that i'll have to put 2 antennas on but i'm hoping not.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ive heard of em, but like you, have no idea where to get em. and i think you have to have a special license/permit to use the ham
Old 03-24-2008, 07:30 PM

ya HAM does require a liscence and i have no prollem gettin one because i know how helpful they can be. My dad and i have been talkin a while now about looking for a course to do or having someone teach us
Old 03-24-2008, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
and i think you have to have a special license/permit to use the ham

Yup, that is true.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Galaxy 99 , 44
Ranger 2950
Those are the just a few I can think of off the top of mind but you can find them at places like Iowa 80 radio shop if you look it on the net you will find it and see all the different styles of cb/ham set up and there are very good people to deal with. I run a Galaxy 99 dx I love it because it has am/fm channel abcd and side channels so if the normal channels are to crowded and my Buddie have sideband we can go to them and talk clear and not disturb anyone or be disturbed by anyone and get out farther.

Last edited by olharleyman; 03-24-2008 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:56 PM

Dang dude thats pretty tight that there are CB's that run HAM as well. What kind of antenna do you have hooked up? & how do you switch down into the CB frequencies?
Old 03-25-2008, 01:50 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Kafrikoo
Dang dude thats pretty tight that there are CB's that run HAM as well. What kind of antenna do you have hooked up? & how do you switch down into the CB frequencies?
Antenna is custom built to handle up to 5000 watts and is tuned for 2700mhz and 10 meter even tho all you can see are the cooling fins wrapped around the core it has a standard whip on top

Here's a better picture of the radio you can see the switches that make it all possible and yes the cover is all chrome non stock of course

Switching between them is as easy as flipping a switch and reading the frequency counter just turn to the frequency you want and you are on ham or CB. Built it to the face on the right in the pictures are the frequency counter (the big one) the small one is the CB channel the one on the left is the power meter for output and input.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:49 AM

wow man, i am impressed, that is a tight set up. I'll be lookin into getting a similar radio and antenna............did you build the antenna urself or did you go to a CB store and they built one for you?
Old 03-25-2008, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Kafrikoo
wow man, i am impressed, that is a tight set up. I'll be lookin into getting a similar radio and antenna............did you build the antenna urself or did you go to a CB store and they built one for you?
If your interested I can get you one for 70 plus shipping. they are built by a radio geek I know there really a nice antenna. As for the radio if you have not found one yet get ready to drop between 4-500 bucks new or if your lucky you can find a ued/rebuilt one from a good radio shop for about 300.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:24 PM

i'll let you know about getting that antenna, i'm gonna have to save up some money for it. It can be used with just normal cb's right? kus what i think i'll do is get a normal cb for the time being (while saving up some extra bux) and then get the galaxy later (maybe when the check from the gov't comes this may O, how long is the whip part? i was lookin at 102" ones and mounting it on my back hatch area and then when not using the radio fastening the end down onto my rack (mili. style)
Old 03-25-2008, 10:50 PM
Contributing Member

It is equal to a 102 whip and yes it works fine with just a cb let me know when you want one and I can hook you up. I will have to measure it for correct height later
Old 11-04-2008, 08:34 AM

just remember you have to get an amateur radio license through the FCC.. www.arrl.org will tell you where to take the test, and gives great study links with practice tests and they even have their own book
Old 11-04-2008, 08:00 PM

the ham licenses, from what i've heard, are much easier now (no morse code requirements up until the higher classes). you may as well invest in one so you can legally take advantage of all the extra channels these radios come with.

these 10m, or "export" radios also come with higher power than is legally allowed by the FCC on the cb band. some of them with dual finals can actually put out 30-40watts or more, stock out of the box. with some tuning, they can actually swing a bit more.

if you choose to go this route and get caught operating such a radio on the cb band, with or w/o a ham license, be prepared to take a fine and possible confiscation of your equipment.

if you get caught, and you also have a linear, you are going to lose that, too. my understanding of the rules is that if it's in your car, even if you are not using it, the assumption is that you were, or are planning to use it, and it is also subject to confiscation.

if you're primarily going to use it on the cb band, a 102" whip will work fine as long as it's tuned properly. some other coil antennas claim to be more broad in terms of tuning, they may be able to be effectively tuned for both 10 and 12m bands as well.

again, if you're not planning on running huge power, you would be just as well off saving your $$$ and NOT buying a Mr. Coily, MonkeyMade, fighting sticks, etc... and stick to a bread-and-butter 102" whip, firestik, or skipshooter.

they can handle the modest power of a dual final export radio, and then some. you have to run stupid power before you will actually melt these antennas.

many of these export radios are all made by the same company, and simply have different logos stenciled on their faceplates. the prices can be widely different, too.

you may also wish to consider Connex, SuperStar, and Magnum radios as cost-effective alternatives to the big names like Ranger and Galaxy. they may not have all the bells and whistles, but they get the job done, and they look like a stock 148GTL or PC244 (large chassis radios).
Old 11-04-2008, 08:16 PM

you are allowed to have Ham equipment and listen. However, once you broadcast you are breaking federal law and are subject to fines and possible jail time... but go ahead and get it, normally its about $14 and that covers the test and licensing... and study books are pretty cheap..here is one I recommend
http://www.amazon.com/Technician-Cla.../dp/0945053452
and the ARRL website gives awesome practice tests which are copies of pld tests, and are nearly word for word like the cert test
Old 11-05-2008, 08:17 PM

^^ +1 for what he said.

if you're gonna pay the big $$$ for an export radio that has all the ham bands, might as well spend the little bit extra, take the test (and pass) and use them. again, though, if you have a dual final model, you are not supposed to use it on the cb band (too much power).

if you don't want/need the extra channels, extra power, FM, etc... just get a regular CB.