Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

stereo prob, sub works, speakers don't

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 06:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stereo prob, sub works, speakers don't

so this weekend up here in the Northeast, we got dump on with rain. I get in my runner sunday morning and all of a sudden, i'm only getting sound from my sub. There is nothing coming from any of my door speakers. This happened once before in the spring and it only lasted a couple of hours. That time, i pulled my door panels and check all the connections and everything seemed fine and there was no moisture in the doors. I know that one bad ground in the speaker circuits can cause them not to work at all, but like i said all the grounds were fine. I let my truck sit in the garage for the afternoon and then it worked that nite.

This time, it still hasn't come back on and i haven't had time to pull the door panels. I was driving around a lot yesterday and nothing worked and still diddn't work this morning on my way to work. Just wondering if you guys have any ideas on what to do. The stereo has been in the truck with no problems for almost 3 years. Its a 98 Limited with a Alpine 9813 deck, i think thats the number, and boston components up front and boston regular speakers in the rear. MTX amp and JL 10wO sub, but like i said, the sub works fine, just nothing coming out the other speakers

Thanks in advance for any insight, Later.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you pulled the deck to make sure all those connections are still good?
Old 10-10-2005, 11:26 AM

didn't pull the deck yet, i think they are all good back there. wierdest thing ever today on my way home. I put on the stereo to see if it worked, and still only got the sub. I decided i would let it run and see if it comes back on. So i'm driving and i open and slam shut the drivers door and the speakers come on. They work til i hit a bump and stop. Shut the door hard again and they came back on. I'm gonna pull the door off and see if i can find the loose wire. I really don't want to keep slammin my door cause it gets harder each time my rage gets worse.

thanks for the help.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
did u pinch a wire in the door i did that once and the sub only worked
Old 10-11-2005, 01:44 AM

pullin the door panel off this morning hopefully in about two hours and we'll see. I worked fine this morning on the way here to work so i'm not sure what to think. i'll let you know what i find
Old 10-11-2005, 03:47 AM

HA! Nice! My brother had a stereo that had a loose connection that he never bothered to find and when it would shut off he would punch the dash and it would come back on. It could be a loose connection in the door or it could just be a loose connection behind the deck or a loose ground, etc so any shaking does it. If it happens again before you pull the door, try hitting the dash or the side of the console and see if it does anything. Keep us posted.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:56 AM

well, i opened up the door and couldn't find anything. I unhooked all the wires and replugged them in. Nothing was pinching. I have no idea on this one especially becuase the stereo has worked since i slammed the door that first time. Weird
Old 10-12-2005, 05:17 AM

You might have a short somewhere. Make sure no wire or speaker connectors have any possibility of touching metal.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:38 PM

thanks churnd. I didn't see anything hitting metal when i rehooked everything back up. My crossovers are mounted in the door so i thought that maybe one of those wires was loose but they were all screwed in tight. it hasn't turned off at all today either and the rain was worse today than it was over the weekend. Its just weird
Old 10-16-2005, 04:43 PM

okay, so i finally opened up my door panel. I unhooked every wire and rehooked it up, no shorts, pinches or anything. I got in my car later today, and the stereo worked til i hit a bump. i've deternined that you were right heath and its the connection behind the stereo. I was bangin my hand around in the din space shelf under the stereo turned it back on. now i gotta pull the head unit. I tried bangin the dash all over the place and under it in the shelf area was the only place that turned it back on. What a PITA.