Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Replacement Speakers - 92 Toyota Picked Extended Cab? Brand New to Audio

Old 08-07-2013, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Replacement Speakers - 92 Toyota Picked Extended Cab? Brand New to Audio

Hi there,

I am completely new to speakers / audio, and am looking for some points on where to learn what I need. At the end of the day, if someone could suggest a place I can go to read and learn about this stuff (beginner level that's applicable to my truck), that would be awesome. I bought a Haynes manual, but it doesn't mention a damn thing about speakers, so I don't really know where to start. If this is something I should just take to some car audio place to have them fix instead, let me know that, too please. I am capable of taking some stuff apart and putting it back together, but I am starting with zero audio experience.

My problem: I have a 92 Toyota Pickup Extended Cab truck. Ever since I got it a few years ago, the only speaker that ever worked is the right passenger (in the door?) speaker. And that one crackles and pops a LOT whenever anything with any bass is played on the stock radio (which is my only audio unit).

I'm not trying to do anything fancy, I just want both speakers to work and not pop. I'm assuming since it's an old vehicle the left speaker died, and the right one is on it's way and that is why it can't do bass sound? So I guess I need to replace them.

I've been reading the threads here, and some folks said to go to Crutchfield site to find what speaker types I need. Unfortunately, I get to the last part where it asks if the truck has:
  • a 2 inch tall radio opening
  • a 4 inch tall radio opening; vehicle made in Japan
  • a 4 inch tall radio opening; vehicle made in United States
How can I figure this one out? I have no idea what "radio opening" means, and I haven't ever seen anything in or about the truck that tells me if it was made in Japan or the US!

Thanks for any and all assistance, while I try to figure this speaker thing out!
Old 08-15-2013, 09:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah Crutchfield isn't too helpful for old vehicles.

The reason why it separates Toyotas is that they don't use normal 4" speakers in the dash, they use 4T's. They are slightly bigger than 4" but with a little monkeying around a 4" will fit just fine.

Before buying any speaker, go to a car audio shop and listen to the speakers they have. You'll notice huge differences between the cheapo $20-$30 speakers and the higher grade ones. Once you find some brands you like go buy them off Ebay or Amazon for a whole lot cheaper.

The only options you have for the front dash are 4" unless you want to try and make your own speaker enclosure to fit 5" or 6" speakers. 4x6" speakers are not that great, I'd avoid them. You mentioned having them in the door panel, if you do that's not stock. If you do go that route, make sure it fits. If the magnet on the back has less that 1/2" clearance it's going to stick to your door and that's not too good.

You might find my thread helpful if you're looking to put anything bigger than 4" in the back: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f96/...ab-p-u-270572/. I highly recommend putting at least 6" speakers in the back (not sure if you have speakers there or just the storage compartment) since just having two pairs of 4" speakers is going to make it sound really high-pitched and whiney. You'll have absolutely NO bass. 6" or 6.5" would have decent bass and good mids, 6x9 have better bass (not subwoofer quality though) at the expense of clarity, but it's not bad. I'm really happy with my setup since there's not much room for a subwoofer anyway. The wiring part is easy, just two wires that go straight to the receiver for each speaker. It's the mounting part that is tricky!
Old 08-16-2013, 03:35 PM
RSR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The factory rear speaker boxes are still available through the dealership and come w/ Toyota speakers already installed (or at least appear to). They put out sick base for what's a 4.5T speaker or so... Haven't found anything that can match them for bass in that size. Might try to squeeze some 5 1/4 in mine...

Try searching and you'll find a bunch more info on here than you'll get in responses to this thread. I've covered the front several times, but again, find the SR5 front speaker boxes and put a good 4" in there. I like my alpine a lot. Other's recommend RF or others. For the drivers side speaker boxes for speakers w/ larger magnets, use some washers for spacing instead of cutting into the speaker box. Again, covered in more detail elsewhere, but you can search with google ("site:yotatech.com search words") or look through my old posts just as well as me... Welcome to the forums and good luck!

Last edited by RSR; 08-16-2013 at 03:37 PM.