YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Electronics > Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-17-2006, 03:20 PM   #1
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Replacement Speaker Opinions, 1993 Pickup

Stock speakers in my 1993 pickup are starting to crackle, anyone ever find any decent speakers to fit directly into the stock speakers mount? Size, brand, and opinions greatly appreciated.

I have a Pioneer DEH-P730 Head Unit.

Thanks!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!

Current Mods--All Pro E-Brake, All Pro Rear Disk Conversion

Last edited by brendonv; 09-17-2006 at 03:52 PM.
brendonv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:34 PM   #2

http://www.crutchfield.com

You call me showering with a gun being "paranoid", I call it being prepared.
iruny4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 08:02 PM   #3
Contributing Member

elton hostler
Send a message via AIM to Elton Send a message via MSN to Elton
when i had my 93 i had some pioneers 4'' in the dash and mounted some pioneer 3 way 6-1/2'' in the doors it didint sound to bad
97 honda civic lx 4dr ls vtec
Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 07:36 AM   #4
Contributing Member

I just replaced my speakers with a pair of elite 4" really nice sound good power handling. Clear highs and mid range a little weak but very clean on bass but then they are only 4"ers. The magnet on these things is massive almost 3" circumferance. I still have the box in the truck I'll be back later and post the part numbers for you.
Cheers aviator

tv4184 style black interior conversion started

mods to come... new engine :(

If at first you don't succeed so much for skydiving.

Toyota Hilux... Get in or Get out of the way.
aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 01:13 PM   #5

I put 4" JBL GTOs in the front factory location and 6.5" cerwin vega seperates in place of the storage pockets in the Ex-cab of my 93.

1-ton Toyota
AlaskaToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 01:51 PM   #6
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator View Post
I just replaced my speakers with a pair of elite 4" really nice sound good power handling. Clear highs and mid range a little weak but very clean on bass but then they are only 4"ers. The magnet on these things is massive almost 3" circumferance. I still have the box in the truck I'll be back later and post the part numbers for you.
Cheers aviator
Edit: My bad the speakers were xcite model #XSS422. I've had them in for about 3 weeks now, still very happy with them.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:12 AM   #7

I know this is a really old thread...

but in case anyone else is looking for stock speakers to fit in their truck, the xcite #XSS422 are about as good as 4" can get. they fit perfect and sound great, highly recommended.
'95 4runner, 4wd, Auto 3.0, 125k miles, Aisin manual locking hubs, TG bumpers and sliders, TrueTrac, Hayden tranny cooler, 2.25" exhaust w/ Magnaflow cat & Borla turbo muffler, OME 900s and shocks...Build thread. - SOLD
'93 pickup, DD, 2wd, 5spd 3.0, 155k miles, Borla turbo muffler, 3.5" lift spindles, ZUK mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupermanDave View Post
Proper punctuation is the difference between "I helped my uncle jack off a horse," and "I helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse."
rhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:44 PM   #8

great to know. was thinking about posting here to verify 4" was the correct size. Is this the same size as in the 89 pickup?
Old 07-24-2009, 09:11 AM   #9
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupermanDave View Post
great to know. was thinking about posting here to verify 4" was the correct size. Is this the same size as in the 89 pickup?
OH yeah... Toyota has been using the same 4" size since 84 at least. The toyota mount is called a 4T in the aftermarket but only about 2 mfgs. make this special size (the mounting tabs are slightly larger then a standard 4") but just about any 4" will fit you may just need to use a pair of tin snips and cut open the end of one of the tabs and use a washer to mount it.
** note: if you have the upgraded factory speakers with the plastic box you may need to slightly modify the driver's side box to fit the speaker if your new ones have a large magnet on the back.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:45 AM   #10

does anybody have any newer recommendations on this? I have a 1994 that i'm redoing now and looking to get better sound. Those xsite's are $11/pr so I'm a bit apprehensive! I'm no audio snob and I realize I'm not working with much here, but there has to be a step up option...right?!

I have a regular cab...any way to get speakers behind the seat with it all the way back?
jlylec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:06 AM   #11

go to crutchfield.com the have nice setups and slim subs for under the seats. I got a nice custom fit box for my single cab taco from these guys and it fit a 10 with the seat all of the way back. Also, check partsexpress.com you can get just boxes here and then modify them to fit. the boxes are pretty cheap too and hold up pretty well. I've had the same pair of 6x9 boxes I bought from them 5 years ago and they have been in three trucks gettin knocked around regularly the whole time. Parts express also sells nice wiring and speaker cabintet making supplies too, but their auto speakers are kinda cheap, so I don't suggest using them.

According to Newsweek, the unbeatable little pickup from Japan is also a vital cog in various insurgent war machines around the globe.If you're looking for the automotive equivalent of the AK-47, you've found it.
warmonger88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmonger88 View Post
go to crutchfield.com the have nice setups and slim subs for under the seats. I got a nice custom fit box for my single cab taco from these guys and it fit a 10 with the seat all of the way back. Also, check partsexpress.com you can get just boxes here and then modify them to fit. the boxes are pretty cheap too and hold up pretty well. I've had the same pair of 6x9 boxes I bought from them 5 years ago and they have been in three trucks gettin knocked around regularly the whole time. Parts express also sells nice wiring and speaker cabintet making supplies too, but their auto speakers are kinda cheap, so I don't suggest using them.
thanks man! very helpful!
Old 02-14-2012, 10:34 AM   #13

I bought and tested both the Kenwood 1064 and Boston Acoustics S45 speakers that Crutchfield recommends for the dash speakers. The BA were hands down the better speaker. They're even better than my 6.5" Pioneers I've since added to the doors.

My Toyota Fleet:
1993 Toyota Pickup X-Cab 4wd
2002 Toyota Land Cruiser
2001 Toyota Corolla S
2013 Toyota Prius II
highonpottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:16 AM   #14
Personal Sales Rating: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefYota4x4
Jlylec, I run Blaupunkt 4" in the dash(great sound for the size).... Mine is a 1st Gen 4Runner, ...so my 'placement' of the rear speakers wouldn't help ya... But regarding sound, I have 6x9-4way Pioneers in angled boxes(I can put them on the roof when camping, etc.) and they sound great! In your smaller spaced cab, I bet it would sound LOTS better.

Latest in trouble-shooting thread, HERE, ANY HELP APPRECIATED!

ZUK MOD THREAD

MULTIPLE FSM'S!

87 4Runner;
BUILT NOT BOUGHT! lots of goodies, check threads^

Quote:
Originally Posted by engnbldr View Post
Do like me. Plug in Bob Segar and turn up the volume, all fixed...When something falls off, then fix it....Hey, pretty job there, Chef!..Congrats!!...*EB
ChefYota4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:42 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by highonpottery View Post
I bought and tested both the Kenwood 1064 and Boston Acoustics S45 speakers that Crutchfield recommends for the dash speakers. The BA were hands down the better speaker. They're even better than my 6.5" Pioneers I've since added to the doors.
Thanks man! Did you install them yourself? The BAs say they require some modification so I'm just wondering how much and how easy it is to do.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4 View Post
Jlylec, I run Blaupunkt 4" in the dash(great sound for the size).... Mine is a 1st Gen 4Runner, ...so my 'placement' of the rear speakers wouldn't help ya... But regarding sound, I have 6x9-4way Pioneers in angled boxes(I can put them on the roof when camping, etc.) and they sound great! In your smaller spaced cab, I bet it would sound LOTS better.
yeah in poking around on crutchfield I found these 6x9" speaker boxes for like $40/pair. I have a pair of 6x9s I've never used so I'm going to get the 4" speakers for the dash and try out these boxes. that should do it I hope...and I like the idea of being able to put them on the roof when camping, etc. thanks!
Old 02-14-2012, 12:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlylec View Post
Thanks man! Did you install them yourself? The BAs say they require some modification so I'm just wondering how much and how easy it is to do.
yes. i don't recall having to do anything special. hardest part was figuring out how to take the dash apart without busting a clip or stripping the plastic inserts. definitely shop around for your speakers though when you figure out which ones you want. crutchfield doesn't have the best prices - but good info!

My Toyota Fleet:
1993 Toyota Pickup X-Cab 4wd
2002 Toyota Land Cruiser
2001 Toyota Corolla S
2013 Toyota Prius II
highonpottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:25 AM   #18
Contributing Member

I may have said previously but for speakers [if you are looking for true concert quality sound] you need to look at either Boston Acoustics or JL Audio...
JL being the slightly more affordable option...

Old 02-15-2012, 08:28 AM   #19

Since I live in Charlottesville where Crutchfield is based I went ahead and scheduled an appointment to have a new stereo and a pair of the Boston Acoustics speakers installed. I know I could figure it out for myself, but at this point with projects I'd rather just pay to have the pros do it right the first time! I'll let you guys know how they sound.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:05 AM   #20
Personal Sales Rating: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefYota4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator View Post
I may have said previously but for speakers [if you are looking for true concert quality sound] you need to look at either Boston Acoustics or JL Audio...
JL being the slightly more affordable option...
Hey Paul,

I had a buddy, with a tricked out LX-5.0 Stang, who had Boston Acoustics kit throughout his car.... HOLY CRAPULA! He had those lil tweeters on the pillars , 6.5's in the doors, then 6x9's in the back seats and a single 10" sub in the rear-most/cargo, and it was SOOO suweet! He ran the same Alpine I had at the time(Mid 90's, SO CLEAN) and a 2 channel running the tweets 6.5's and a larger adjustable 4 channel amp that he ran to the others 6x9's and the sub, ....... like I said, SO CLEAN, NOT all 'thump', either. Just CRYSTAL clear. Of course, ...lots of that was INDEED the 'Alpine!'

Another buddy had those and switched to a 'Bose' System when they stole all the BA's out of his car.... I gotta say, it was hard to say it wasn't CLOSE to as clean.

Latest in trouble-shooting thread, HERE, ANY HELP APPRECIATED!

ZUK MOD THREAD

MULTIPLE FSM'S!

87 4Runner;
BUILT NOT BOUGHT! lots of goodies, check threads^

Quote:
Originally Posted by engnbldr View Post
Do like me. Plug in Bob Segar and turn up the volume, all fixed...When something falls off, then fix it....Hey, pretty job there, Chef!..Congrats!!...*EB
ChefYota4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:05 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1993, 2003, 2004, 93, 94, aviator, fit, hilux, mods, pickup, replacement, size, sizes, speaker, speakers, toyota