Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Next Modification - Stereo Upgrade *Something Different*

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Next Modification - Stereo Upgrade *Something Different*

I'm beginning to piece together the next modification to my vehicle which will be the stereo / video system.

Current headunit / HAM Radio Windshielf Mount:

Nothing fancy, but you see I've sacrificed the prime mobile GPS location for my HAM Radio Face.

This is the deck that I think I have decided upon. Any suggestions for any decks that are similar in function and style but superior in performance?

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130AVIC...ures_and_specs

Pros:
- GPS Navigation
- IPOD / IPHONE Control
- Video Input (I think, more below)

Cons:
- No RDS
- No Euro Tuning

Now, here's the kicker that maybe Car Audio Crew can help me out with:

I really want this as my Video input:
http://www.eyespyvideo.com/videoreco...e/dvr-4gps.htm

(URL was working the other day, does it work for anybody else, or is it just blocked at work?)

Anyhow, the ghist is that that is an 80mb DVR with 4 channel video input, one sound input and an overlay of speed and RPM readings from the vehicle. It Mux's all inputs into one video feed.

One camera would be pointed forward, one camera to the rear, one at the driver and one from an elevated position in the roof rack to anyone talking to me from the driver's door or incidents occuring to my side.

The description of the head unit indicates that it has a rear backing camera input - but that's just a video input right? The Mux'd video feed would work on the Pioneer's screen, right?

Other concerns:
Placement of the DVR - Need a clean install - any installers with 4Runner experience? I'm already filling up the Glovebox quickly:

Probably under passenger seat - as Driver's seat will probably be the CB Radio Brain Box Install.

Also - need to research the Sub enclosure found in the 4Runner Limited for suitability for use in my plan. Stock parts with upgraded internals are always gooder in my book.

I think I'm quickly exposing my nerd status (actually, that's long been established)

Last edited by TurboManiacal; 08-22-2009 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:25 PM
Contributing Member

You might be able to get one out of europe if you wanted to have euro tuning capability [useful I know to pull in those distant stns. or to deal with freq wander]. You'd have to get a copy of the NA GPS database seperately over here is all. I think you'll find the rearcam hook up also powers the rear cam so I doubt you'd be able to use it as a dvd line in but who knows? besides this thing already has a dvd player in it so why would you need another one?

here's a link to pioneer europe that may help p://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/25/111/241/overview.html

Last edited by aviator; 08-21-2009 at 09:34 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by aviator
You might be able to get one out of europe if you wanted to have euro tuning capability [useful I know to pull in those distant stns. or to deal with freq wander]. You'd have to get a copy of the NA GPS database seperately over here is all. I think you'll find the rearcam hook up also powers the rear cam so I doubt you'd be able to use it as a dvd line in but who knows? besides this thing already has a dvd player in it so why would you need another one?

here's a link to pioneer europe that may help

http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/2.../overview.html
Yeah - I've still got friends over in Germany (spent 6 years there) I *could* go that route - it's just infuriating to see things so proprietary even in this modern world.

Good point on the DVD line in.

The reason I'm going this route is to be able to record my situational awareness. For my own protection and for good visability all around. For the rock crawlers of the group - imagine being able to look underneath the vehicle just by glancing at the dash? That's not exactly my intended use, but that's how it could be useful to you.

$1000 for the DVR - cameras are about $100+ or so...just trying to think outside the box. If I can't line feed the video signal - small screens are just $100 as well.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:01 AM
Contributing Member

I don't think it's a proprietary issue really just a matter of standards... with more radio stations in a smaller area there was a need for greater flexibility when the switch to digital tuners was made so the EU nations adopted a 5Mhz step standard while the FCC decided that a 10Mhz step was sufficient and mandated that for NA. You used to be able to switch between the two modes if you had certain older models of Blaupunkt (and I think some Alpine) radios but they eliminated that option years ago. I noticed that the euro version does not say Sirius/XM ready on the face plate of that radio you're interested in, I know that you need to get a separate box to recieve the sat radio I wonder if the euro version has the interface for it or not... something to ask about.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:14 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by aviator
I think you'll find the rearcam hook up also powers the rear cam so I doubt you'd be able to use it as a dvd line in but who knows?
Downloaded the instruction manual - a few thoughts:

- The Head Unit has two AV inputs, an iPod input and a rear cam input. I'm going to get the stock Toyota rear cam from the 4Runner limited and run in the stock location for rear cam. One of the two AV inputs will be this camera system and the other one reserved for a gaming system (maybe).

- Operation of video systems is controlled through a connection to the parking brake - this will be grounded out.

I need to dig further into the instruction manual for more customization ideas. I really think this is the be all, end all head unit to my design criteria.