Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Newly Installed Amp, Speakers Whining

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
That is the remote turn on wire, it is actually a 12+ not a ground. It is what turns the amp on when you turn the HU on. It doesn?t do anything but turn on the amp but a gound issue of some kind is what I thought at first as well.
I know that. I am talking about a wire in addition to the remote wire.

The past two amp wiring kits I have bought came with a small gauge ground wire to go between the HU and the amp. Note: This is in addition to the main ground lead from the amp to the body/frame.

This would eliminate the ground loop between the HU and the amp (if that is even causing the noise).

Last edited by dirtyXplorer; 11-19-2007 at 02:17 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dirtyXplorer
I know that. I am talking about a wire in addition to the remote wire.

The past two amp wiring kits I have bought came with a small gauge ground wire to go between the HU and the amp. Note: This is in addition to the main ground lead from the amp to the body/frame.

This would eliminate the ground loop between the HU and the amp (if that is even causing the noise).
Ah, ok that make more sense. Never seen an amp with that though, mine i got used so needless to say it didn't come with it (still the best amp i have ever heard though, makes my cheap speakers sound nice).
Old 11-20-2007, 07:49 AM

run your wires separately on each side of your vehicle. I also ran two grounds. One within 12" inches from each amp and another one from the the battery terminal itself.

Try this first:
Also, if you have tweeters in the rear section by the rear window, you may have grounded one of the tweeters connections to the metal bracket. I had this problem with my Polk DB6500's and had to put electrical tape around the brackets and the back of the tweeters where the connection was. It solved the problem.

Last edited by OSIRIS; 11-20-2007 at 07:50 AM.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:02 PM

speaker whine

i has my stereo hooked up no whine i took it out and replaced the HU now i have that whine the amp is grounded great the whine only comes when i have the rca cables in it goes away when i un plug them how do i get rid of this whine??
Old 08-25-2009, 11:09 PM

Are you a witch doctor? cause you just brought this thread back from the dead!
Old 08-25-2009, 11:21 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by js98sts
i has my stereo hooked up no whine i took it out and replaced the HU now i have that whine the amp is grounded great the whine only comes when i have the rca cables in it goes away when i un plug them how do i get rid of this whine??
I'm pretty sure if you read this thread and try the solutions posted in it, you will find your answer. Welcome to YT.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:53 PM

well, since someone put the voodoo on this thread and brought it back, I'll open my fat mouth too. Does the whine vary in pitch based on what your engine rpm is doing? if so, its most likely your body/chassis/engine ground and you should upgrade that stuff anyway before you amplify your stereo system or add hardcore lights or whatnot - forget about winches and real power drainers. If it stays the same, its interference. You probably have cheapo RCA cables that aren't shielded. First thing you should try (because it sure is cheaper!) is to ground the RCA to the head unit chassis. If that doesn't solve the problem, replace your RCA cables with really high quality shielded ones. This should also fix the annoying interference you get right before someone's cell phone rings. It shouldn't matter at all if you place properly shielded RCA's next to nearly any other wire as far as crossing signals goes.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
see FEB2011 Popular Mechanics magazine also

found this thread while searching "cell phone interference"

Just wanted to mention that the Feb 2011 issue of Popular Mechanics addresses issues of Radio Frequency Interference. Pages 102-104 "DIY TECH"

My issue is occasional cell phone (ringing) interference heard through my Inifinity Bass Link powered subwoofer. The article mentions that some cell phone's frequency can be changed through a configuration menu on the phone.

But since my issue is not my own cell phone but others causing the interference-it also mentions on page 104 to try "ferrite beads" wrapped around the signal wiring or less frequently along the speaker wiring itself.

I'm going to try Radio Shack to find some ferrite beads and give this a try...
Old 03-05-2011, 06:30 AM

I would also double check to make sure the right wires are running from the cd player to the door speakers, make sure they line up, cause ive seen the wires get crisscrossed and it causes whinning or static
Old 03-06-2011, 04:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did find ferrite magnets sold as a "Snap Choke Core"-Radio Shack part number 273-0069

$2.99 for package of 2.

They snap on easily over each wire of the RCA cable for example. I am going to give these a try and if that does not solve my issue I will try one on the main power input to my powered subwoofer and experiment with the other one on each side of the RCA signal inputs.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:31 PM

Sounds like a ground to me aswell. Check your HU to Amp RCA, if it has been gouged and is touching the chassis it would cause this.
Never heard of "grounding RCA's"
Also like everyone else has been saying you really want to run your signal wire (RCA) on the other side of the vehicle than your power wire.

This wouldnt be causing the wine noise and Im not sure how your Pioneer HU is but if it has a HPF (High pass filter) make sure that it is at or below 12K, if your speakers are trying to reproduce extreme highs that could fry the tweeters.

Is the wining noise a constant wine or does it peak and dip?
Old 12-02-2012, 06:49 PM

my truck was doing this too, i replaced the rca's and everything works perfect now
Old 12-13-2012, 12:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So the reason mine whined, was the pico fuse for the RCA's was blown (i must have touched the RCA's on bare metal when the deck was on). I got a stereo shop to remove the pico fuse and install a small capacitor, problem solved!