Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Newly Installed Amp, Speakers Whining

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 02:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Newly Installed Amp, Speakers Whining

I had infinity speakers in my car when I bought it, but the amp was taken out. I put an amp in yesterday and cannot get rid of a high pitched whine through the speakers only when the car is on. I also had typical alternator whine but found that be from a bad ground (it's fixed now). Here's the situation, if the cars on and running I have the whine. When I unplug the two rca's for the front speakers from the amp the whining goes away, same for when I unplug just the rear rca's. If three or more are plugged in the whining returns. Any suggestions on how to get rid of it because I haven't found any.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'm not an expert by any means, but i think the signal wire might be right next to your wire to the battery.

let me know it if works
Old 11-18-2007, 03:52 PM

sorry, you might try running one set of wires on the passenger side and the other down the driver's side.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:53 PM

yeah, if you can run your power wire on one side of the car and the RCAs on the other side, then by all means do it...as having them next to each other will cause this...
Old 11-18-2007, 04:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That must be my problem too, for my first install i was in a hurry and just ran them together and also have a small whine anytime it is on. Not that much but at low volumes it is a little annoying.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:49 PM

It might be grounding issues between the HU and the amp. Some amp wiring kits have a small (18 or 16 ga?) that you run from the HU ground to and add it to the amps ground. This would eliminate a ground loop.

Try running an extra small wire from the HU's ground and add it to the amps main ground terminal.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:59 PM

It does sound like a ground issue, make sure that the surface that the a mp is grounding to is paint free.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:14 PM

does sound like ground to me. Gotta have it clean and paint free.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:24 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dirtyXplorer
It might be grounding issues between the HU and the amp. Some amp wiring kits have a small (18 or 16 ga?) that you run from the HU ground to and add it to the amps ground. This would eliminate a ground loop.

Try running an extra small wire from the HU's ground and add it to the amps main ground terminal.
That is the remote turn on wire, it is actually a 12+ not a ground. It is what turns the amp on when you turn the HU on. It doesn?t do anything but turn on the amp but a gound issue of some kind is what I thought at first as well.

Originally Posted by Jerm
It does sound like a ground issue, make sure that the surface that the a mp is grounding to is paint free.
Originally Posted by ydopen
does sound like ground to me. Gotta have it clean and paint free.
Oh yeah, the ground is fine. It could not get anymore perfect. That I do know how to do, sanded all the paint off and then made sure that the ground was nice and tight.

I am virtually positive that it is because all the wires are ran together. When I redo it I am going to do it right and will see what happened.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:05 PM
Contributing Member

Sounds like a definite grounding issue to me also....
Old 11-18-2007, 09:05 PM

I hope its as simple as that...Part of the problem was the screw I had didn't have a big enough head to hold the entire end of the grounding cable down, so the actually screw is only on about half of the connector at the end of the cable...maybe if I got a washer or a bigger headed screw it would fix it.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:41 AM

I Know whats wrong with it.
You have to ground your RCA's to the chassis.
I ahve a pioneer HU and as soon as i wrapped a wire aroung the RCA ground and tied it in to the body, all whine went away (i actually did this yesterday).
Read here,
http://www.canadiancaraudio.com/onli...ioneer-hu.html
Old 11-19-2007, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Greg_Canada
I Know whats wrong with it.
You have to ground your RCA's to the chassis.
I ahve a pioneer HU and as soon as i wrapped a wire aroung the RCA ground and tied it in to the body, all whine went away (i actually did this yesterday).
Read here,
http://www.canadiancaraudio.com/onli...ioneer-hu.html
So did you ground it from the end at the HU or the end at the amp? It says to ground it to the headunit chassis, but it sounds like you didn't do that and it still worked.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:42 AM

i've never heard of having to ground your RCAs to the chassis...just saying this as in my previous system, i didn't do this and was putting out some serious power and db...2300 watts rms and 160+ db!
Old 11-19-2007, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by mikes19984x4
i've never heard of having to ground your RCAs to the chassis...just saying this as in my previous system, i didn't do this and was putting out some serious power and db...2300 watts rms and 160+ db!
This is actually the second time I've heard of doing this with the Pioneer head units, It's worth a shot since I have one.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:45 AM

yeah, can't go wrong with trying it. hmm, seems to me as if this is some kind of issue with these pioneer HUs...
Old 11-19-2007, 09:01 AM

Yea i grounded mine to the body, which is the same as ground to the deck chassis cause i grounded the chassis to the body as well.
I only heard about it a month or 2 ago, and i decided to give it a shot and it worked PERFECTLY... just threw some electrical tape on top so it wouldnt come off, and called it a day.
My 89' had no problems running over 1000w rms, throw the deck in the 99' and all i get is noise, so this finally fixed this.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:59 AM
Contributing Member

Interesting, i have never heard of that but i will have to try it. Could be my problem as i have tried everything else except running the wires seprate.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:46 AM
Contributing Member

Did you also check your RCA'? Sometimes they get loose at the ends and short out or can catch noise.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:09 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Djlarroc
Did you also check your RCA'? Sometimes they get loose at the ends and short out or can catch noise.
Yeah they were the first thing i checked, it did it from the day i installed it. Nothing real bad and at louder volumes you can't even tell it is there. So i just never got around to fixing it.

the RCA is about the only thing that could be wrong other than the cables being run together.

Quick Reply: Newly Installed Amp, Speakers Whining