Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Need help with complicated sound system

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 02:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need help with complicated sound system

So a long time ago I was given a good sound system with crossovers, equalizer ect. and I decided to install it in my truck, the problem is I don't have the manual.

I decided to install only the front speakers. I have everything figured out as far as the head unit plug and which wire goes to the speakers, ignition, battery and ground. The problem is I have 6 spade connectors and two wires on my speakers, where do they all go or plug to?
Need help with complicated sound system-ypft2lr.jpg
Need help with complicated sound system-fepjbcf.jpg
Need help with complicated sound system-e1vfulv.jpg
Need help with complicated sound system-pon0ttm.jpg
Need help with complicated sound system-mcltm31.jpg

And how do you wire the crossover, is it necessary?
It has 6 ''ports''
IN +-
MID +-
HIGH +-

I don't have an amplifier or a subwoofer, maybe it is intergrated in the speakers like the tweeters?

Right now the head unit works and the speakers are connected to it by the two wires coming out of them but nothing works.

Thanks fo the help!
Old 07-30-2014, 04:23 PM

This is one of my cross over, I have 2.
Need help with complicated sound system-0xrs5uj.jpg

Also this might be really newb question, but since my head unit is 50wx4 and my speakers 140 watts, and I only plan to use 2 speakers, can I connect my front AND rear speaker wires together to the front speakers for any improvement?
Old 07-30-2014, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For starters, don't connect the front and rear channels from the head unit together. Use only the front channels if you're only installing the two speakers. You use one passive crossover per speaker. They can be placed wherever you want. The channel from the head unit connects to the "in" on the crossover. "High" connects to the tweeter(the wire coming out from the center). "Mid" connects to the spade terminals. Use the spade terminals that are connected to the tinsel leads( the one with only 2 connectors). From the pics I don't think the connector with 4 spade terminals is connected to anything. I assume they intend you to wire the tweeter to two of the terminals and then use spade connectors to connect to the crossover. Basically reducing any accidental tension on the tweeter wire.

If any of this doesnt make sense then let me know. It's been a long day.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:27 AM

Wow that's great it answers all my questions! Thanks a lot!
Old 07-31-2014, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
For as much equipment that you are wanting to install, there may not be preassembled kits, but even Wal-Mart sells some kits for the basic part. Wiring a stereo is beyond my ability even though the local third grader can do it and I cant, but those kits make it so much easier. One problem I see alot of is where people hard wire stereos and trailer light kits. Any time I have an electrical issue those are the first two things I look for. Wiring kits are very reasonable if they have them for what you are wanting to do.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:21 AM

Thanks terry everything is installed and working good. As for the head unit it's pretty straight forward, red wire to ignition, yellow to battery, black to ground, then you connect the speaker wires which isn't much harder. As long as you have good connections there shouldn't be a problem. I'm starting to have too many things running off my battery so this winter I will do a big clean up with a power block or something. The only thing that was bothering me was all the speaker connections a really had no idea.