Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Ipod hook up HELP Please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ipod hook up HELP Please!

Well I just got an Ipod Mini and I want to hook it up to my truck's stero. I have an aftermarket Kenwood KDC-7009 headunit. It dose have a CD changer imput and I know they make some kits that use that. But I cant find any for like under $70. There are also the FM tran. like the iTrip and stuff, but I hear those suck. I also have seen the FM Modu. that go between you FM ant. and radio. I cant find any for a good price that look like that will work. And I also dono how good these sound. So I have about $70 to hook it up. Dose anyone have any ideas? Thanks

-Alex
Old 04-04-2005, 06:39 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i am not sure about your kenwood but for my Pioneer there is an adapter that plugs into the cd changer imput and has 2 RCA's, and then get a mini-plug to RCA cable. (40 bucks for the IP/BUS to RCA and 5 bucks for RCA to miniplug) i set my laptop up inbetween the seats and play my mp3's through my stereo on road trips. it would work with an ipod too, just plug it into the headphone jack
Old 04-05-2005, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by ToferUOP
i am not sure about your kenwood but for my Pioneer there is an adapter that plugs into the cd changer imput and has 2 RCA's, and then get a mini-plug to RCA cable. (40 bucks for the IP/BUS to RCA and 5 bucks for RCA to miniplug) i set my laptop up inbetween the seats and play my mp3's through my stereo on road trips. it would work with an ipod too, just plug it into the headphone jack
So I dont really under stand all the cables. I know the RCA's but i dono the mini plug and what not. Can you help me out a little bit.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:27 AM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
ok at least with my set up. this goes into the deck:

and then this goes into that cable and then into computer/ipod/mp3 player/ect

i had to put a Ground loop Isolator inbetween the 2 wires because my inverter was creating feedback. but you wouldnt need it for an iPod. but this is what tehy look like:
Old 04-13-2005, 08:22 PM

I already have my iPod installed in my 4Runner. I also have a Pioneer deck, however, I would not recommend using the mini-plug to hook up the iPod. The headphone output from the iPod just doesn't sound very good. I bought the Belkin AutoKit, which plugs into the cigarette lighter. The mini-plug plugs in the autokit, and the autokit plugs into the iPod via firewire. The bonus in this setup is that the autokit has a mini amp built in, for a boost in sound. The quality is near perfect, and beats the headphone output sound, or iTrip any day of the week.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:13 AM

In my 4runner, I have a similar setup described above. I have a pioneer headunit, and plugged into it is a CD RB10, the part required to hook up any auxilary device like a CD changer or Ipod. From the CD RB 10 is a RCA to Mini Splitter. The RCAs connect to the CDRB 10, and the mini jack goes into the headphone jack of the ipod. This is, without a doubt, the way to achieve the best connection and best sound quality. A product that is much easier to install, but does not have the perfect sound quality and connection is the Monster cable FM modulator device. It plugs into the bottom of the Ipod and goes into your cigarette lighter, and sends the music via radio signal to your stereo. Both of these options work very well from my experience, and can be had for well under $70.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:42 AM

MrGaryFish is right about the adapter. If you can get one that plugs straight into the deck, get it. Its worth the extra few dollars for the improvement in sound quality.

If you go the route of FM transmitter, DO NOT get one that just broadcasts, they suck. I have had good luck with the in-line ones. The one i used i bought for $50 new. In fact i dont use it anymore and i think I still have it sitting at home. Ill check to see, if you are interested ill give you a good deal on it. Let me know.

Last edited by v8sport4runner; 04-18-2005 at 10:45 AM.