Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

1st Generation 4Runner Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 05:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1st Generation 4Runner Speakers

Hey guys,

I know very little about car audio. What I do know is that my stereo sounds like total crap. I have the stock speakers and deck. The stock deck is going to stay (I like to stock look and I mostly just listen to the radio), but I would like to get some decent speakers as the ones I have sound terrible with any volume increase, like they are blown.

I'm not expecting the stereo to be super loud, or to have it thump with a ton of bass. I just want something that I can listen to the radio with and be able to turn the volume past halfway w/out the sound becoming completely distorted as it currently does.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what speakers I can get that will not break my wallet? I know they are 4" in the front and 5.25" in the back. I would like to get something to just swap with what is there.

Is this possible? Would new speakers help?

Thanks.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
yes new speakers would help some if they are blown. The easyest thing to do would be to go to a place that sells car audio, and buy a set of speakers with silicon cones with tweeters in the middle. This will give you a bit better sound for 25-50 bucks. The correct size that will fit perfectly in place of the stocks is a 4 inch diameter, round shaped speaker, not oblong. Make sure you don't get paper cones, or it will sound crappy still
Old 12-11-2005, 06:32 PM
Contributing Member

Thank you for your reply. What about the back speakers, are the 5.25's round as well? Any recommendations there?
Old 12-16-2005, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an '85 4Runner as well, but with no rear speakers (non-SR5). I have some Infinity References up front and you can get them really cheap on eBay. I would spend more money on the 4" (get Infinity Kappas or some Boston Acoustics) because those speakers need the money due to their size, know what I mean? The 5.25's will sound good as long as they're not K-Mart brand and have rubber surrounds (any Kenwood, Sony, Pioneer, etc). You don't have to spend a lot to get a lot with bigger speakers.

Reminds me, I have to install some 5's or 6's in the back of mine. I just hate hacking into the original interior. That's what has prevented me from not slamming some 5's or 6's in the front doors because it's all original and in good shape.

BTW - I just bought a Dual (brand and also number of sub's ) 12" subwoofer/amp combo from Best Buy for $130! I thought it would be crap but honestly, it's insane. Better than my 10" Kicker and Sony amp that got stolen. If that deal is still available, get it. You won't get bass-one with those 4's and even the 5's will probably just rattle that brittle plastic in the rear.

Peace,

J.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:43 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by gohawks
Thank you for your reply. What about the back speakers, are the 5.25's round as well? Any recommendations there?
I put 6x9s back there, they aren't a perfect fit but they haven't given me any trouble in about 8 months of being in there. Also, if you still have the stock radio/tape player, you will want to replace it with a new head unit. It only pushes about 10x4 watts, whereas most of todays units run around 50x4. Sometimes if you are pushing the speakers and they distort, it is because you're wattage is cutting in and out because it's near peak. Just be sure you have enough power to run the speakers at a low level on the dial and you will have much better sound.
Old 12-25-2005, 05:26 PM
Contributing Member

nooo new headunits dont put out 50watts...max which will probably will never happen.
probably around 12-15rms...stockers probably put out 5-7rms
Old 01-20-2006, 05:44 PM
Contributing Member

Well the more I look the more confused I get, lol.

And on ebay the speakers are always cheap and then they want to bend you over with no lube on shipping.

I've been on Crutchfield as was leaning towards the 4inch pioneers for the dash and the 5.25 pioneers for the back, sound okay? The total would be like $75 bucks for both sets at Wal Mart.

Then Crutchfield tells me they have no direct fit for the rear! Even the 5.25 pioneer will require modification. Modification for me usually means I break something and then have to pay someone else to fix my mess.

Anyone find a decent direct fit replacment for a 1st Gen. rear speaker or know of one???

sigh.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure what to do installing rears in my 89 4runner. I bought a component Blaupunkt from Crutchfield (big time on sale) a while back, but might just box up some 6x9's with an easy way to disconnect them when i need the storage space.

Looks like a real pain in the butt putting speakers back there.

vmax84
Old 01-20-2006, 06:38 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Yes, I took some dog poo speakers out of mine, they weren't even hooked up in the back...Infinity but who knows if they work and if they did they were mounted to the body panel that is paper thin and all they woudl have done is rattled.

I'm not looking to jam my head off, just decent sound. I got a good pioneer deck and I can find some speakers up front. I don't want anything sitting in the rear for some meth head to see and steal...any ideas for rear speakers as I don't have anything to mount them to...looks like it was cut out to put in these dog poo ones.

Old 01-22-2006, 09:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I just hooked up some rear speakers in the back of my 88 last weekend and couldn't be happier with the result. If you are sitting in the back seat there is a little cubby-hole for drinks or whatever on both sides. You can pop off the pannel and cut the rivets that hold those plastic cubby-holes on. At that point you end up with about a 7x10" precut hole in the pannel with ample room behind it to mount anything you like.

I have had the same speakers both in the very back of the cab and in the back seat area. The difference is unbelievable.