It turned out like this:
I have been happy with it and because it evolved though lots of looking at the collective knowledge here prior to the install I figured what I did might help someone else figure out what they want to do. So here is a rundown of how I got there.
I ended up doing what I did because:
-I wanted it to sound good, at 70mph with the windows down
-I wanted the rear roll bar space for a sub (eventually)
-I didn't want to lose sound quality by having my rear pair behind the back seat
-I wanted to be able to switch back to the stock parts if I didn't like it, no no chopping or major modifications to OEM stuff
-It had to be a reasonable total cost, (I would rather have $800 in my dif than my stereo)
As I mentioned, I did want it to sound good so I started with a pair of Pioneer TS-D1702R
which reviewed particularly well but still fit the budget
Then it was time to enlist some help to figure out the best spot for them after pulling out a bunch of stuff.
The old thin fiber board wouldn't be strong enough to hang the fairly heavy speakers without LOTS of rattling so I grabbed a few scraps of commercial grade 1/4" underlayment and went to work with a drill and jig saw
Lots of repeated measuring and test fitting ended up with this
A quick stop at the local specialty fastener store in town on the way home from work netted some stuff like this:
The speaker mount screws hit the metal frame so they got trimmed back a bit
Then put the seats back in to be sure they will still fold with the new speaker location before getting too carried away
Then run some wire
On the drivers side the wiring harness makes it a bit too tight so a little persuasion (of the variety involving a hammer) made just enough room.
Since you can see it in the shot above we may was well mention spending some time with some Peel and Seal
to cut down on road noise and vibration
Then get the other side put in and try it out for a week or two which led to the the discovery that the rubber well nuts (used where the threaded clips wouldn't fit) popped loose after a brisk run down a wash-boarded gravel road.
So it quick stop by MD Metrics led to having one of these in the tool box
I'm not sure how I lived with out it for so long. Rivet nuts and a setter are a very cool little tool that lets you put a stout threaded insert into a blind sheet metal location. If you want one go here http://mdmetric.com/prod/rivetnuttool/rivetnuttool.htm
Now with the much stronger hangers it is time to try to get some upholstery on without too much "helper" hair in the glue.
The keen observer will also note that at this point it was time for refreshments as well.
Put the panels in with all the trim
Then fight the seats back in and it's done
If you have specific questions let me know and I'll see what other details I can remember.