Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

1997 4Runner Sony Stereo Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 05:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 4Runner Sony Stereo Problems

I just installed a Sony GT410U in my 1997 4Runner with factory speakers. I've got two problems with it. 1. I get no sound out of the front left speakers (door and tweeter) unless the FAD Rear is turned up (10 is full blast and seems to make it almost the same volume as the other speakers). 2. When I don't have a very good signal with my cell phone and it's plugged into the Aux jack it causes feedback sometimes. It did this with the factory stereo too though (when I used a cassette adapter to plug in my phone). The cell phone does not cause any interference when playing cds. Any ideas why these problems could occur? I also should add that the vehicle must be completely turned on to hear sound at all unlike where you normally only need it turned to acc. The stereo still turns on there's just so sound at all. Also, after using it for a while I've now figured out that if I turn on my headlights for a few seconds it has a very loud steady beep and it says "CD Failure" or "Aux Failure" depending on which source is selected. It then goes away after a few seconds and it plays music just fine.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:35 PM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
[QUOTE=michael33rueckert;52208110].. I also should add that the vehicle must be completely turned on to hear sound at all unlike where you normally only need it turned to acc. The stereo still turns on there's just so sound at all./QUOTE]

More of a bump than any real help but I installed an aftermarket Kenwood in the '00.. When I first turn it on or turn it on ACC or start the truck the sounds "fades" in after about 10 seconds. It was not a feature that was mentioned in the paperwork. Just wanted to mention so you give it 10 seconds or so before you decide you're not getting sound.. Also make sure you have an independent ground; don't depend on the Toyota harness. I have no ideas on the rest.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:52 PM

Toyotas have a (+) and (-) light/dimmer wires, also one that is not on a dimmer. I would really look through things to make sure it is wired right. It sounds like you have really bad connections and mis-wired things.
If you get no sound when in CD or AUX, but do in FM, you hooked the ANT (blue wire, white stripe) wire to the AMP (blue wire, no stripe) wire.
But CHECK YOUR WIRING! Do a search for the wire colors and use.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by cobolt23
Toyotas have a (+) and (-) light/dimmer wires, also one that is not on a dimmer. I would really look through things to make sure it is wired right. It sounds like you have really bad connections and mis-wired things.
If you get no sound when in CD or AUX, but do in FM, you hooked the ANT (blue wire, white stripe) wire to the AMP (blue wire, no stripe) wire.
Could you confirm that I have the right wiring diagram? What are all the colors supposed to be?
Old 07-09-2014, 02:26 PM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
I hope you are using a Toyota harness kit. They include the wire codes. If not that's probably where you took a wrong turn with the wiring. Look on eBay. They cost about $5 and arrive pretty fast. Walmart carries them too. You should be soldering the connections to the unit. A simple google came up with the wiring colors. Hopefully you have it all together by now though.
http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2-k...ml?kbartid=251
Old 07-09-2014, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Nervo19
I hope you are using a Toyota harness kit. They include the wire codes. If not that's probably where you took a wrong turn with the wiring. Look on eBay. They cost about $5 and arrive pretty fast. Walmart carries them too. You should be soldering the connections to the unit. A simple google came up with the wiring colors. Hopefully you have it all together by now though.
http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2-k...ml?kbartid=251
If I used a harness I wouldn't have even posted this. I looked up the diagrams before I installed it and I've double checked them. I looked up other sources for the wiring too and they matched up. I did not solder the connections but I'm assuming there would be no sound if they weren't connected completely and that wouldn't cause the fade to be weird like that. I have electrical tape on all the wires.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by michael33rueckert
I just installed a Sony GT410U in my 1997 4Runner with factory speakers. I've got two problems with it. 1. I get no sound out of the front left speakers (door and tweeter) unless the FAD Rear is turned up (10 is full blast and seems to make it almost the same volume as the other speakers). 2. When I don't have a very good signal with my cell phone and it's plugged into the Aux jack it causes feedback sometimes. It did this with the factory stereo too though (when I used a cassette adapter to plug in my phone). The cell phone does not cause any interference when playing cds. Any ideas why these problems could occur? I also should add that the vehicle must be completely turned on to hear sound at all unlike where you normally only need it turned to acc. The stereo still turns on there's just so sound at all. Also, after using it for a while I've now figured out that if I turn on my headlights for a few seconds it has a very loud steady beep and it says "CD Failure" or "Aux Failure" depending on which source is selected. It then goes away after a few seconds and it plays music just fine.
Another question I have: I had the speakers lying around somewhere that go with this stereo. I just found them and I was wondering if anyone knows if they'll fit, without modification, in the front doors. The model number is gt1625.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by cobolt23
I looked up more wiring diagrams and I've quadruple checked everything including the ground which is connected to the body through a screw behind the dash. I've now figured out that when I turn my headlights on with music playing it causes a loud buzzing noise and displays "CD Failure". But after this happens if I turn my headlights off, to get rid of the buzz, it stops playing any sound until the headlights are back on again. And then with the lights on again I can hear a very slight buzz in the front left speaker. This is making me wonder if my beloved 4Runner itself has wiring issues. Is it possible for the alternator or battery to affect any of this?
Old 07-10-2014, 08:11 PM

Could you confirm that I have the right wiring diagram? What are all the colors supposed to be?
I just realized I didn't say that my 4Runner is a manual. I've also noticed that when I go in reverse if I go really slow (almost killing it) the sound goes away until the rpms go back up.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:52 AM

is the original system the jbl amplified system? if it is, find the amp which should be a silver metal box right behind the radio area, held in with 2-3 gold 10mm bolts. remove the amp, and on the bottom side there will be a standard toyota stereo wiring harness.

if this is the case, go to your local audio shop and buy a standard toyota wiring harness for non jbl systems. if its a metra brand it will be a 70-1761 you can then wire the radio up correctly and that will hopefully eliminate the issues you are having. if it was a jbl system, and you cut the harness and hard wired straight to it, that will be the cause of most if not all of your problems.

hope that all makes sense
Old 07-14-2014, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by drpdmazda
is the original system the jbl amplified system? if it is, find the amp which should be a silver metal box right behind the radio area, held in with 2-3 gold 10mm bolts. remove the amp, and on the bottom side there will be a standard toyota stereo wiring harness.

if this is the case, go to your local audio shop and buy a standard toyota wiring harness for non jbl systems. if its a metra brand it will be a 70-1761 you can then wire the radio up correctly and that will hopefully eliminate the issues you are having. if it was a jbl system, and you cut the harness and hard wired straight to it, that will be the cause of most if not all of your problems.

hope that all makes sense
I don't think it was a JBl System. I do see the amplifier though. I've already cut the Toyota harness and hard wired straight in. It's a Sony Xplod system. By the way the Sony speakers do fit in the front doors perfectly. I keep finding out new info about the problems though. I've now realized that if the vehicle has been running for a while I can then turn it to ACC and it will work fine for a few minutes but then cut out and all sound will go away. But the stereo itself still lights up and shows that it's playing music.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:02 AM

I don't think it was a JBl System. I do see the amplifier though. I've already cut the Toyota harness and hard wired straight in. It's a Sony Xplod system. By the way the Sony speakers do fit in the front doors perfectly. I keep finding out new info about the problems though. I've now realized that if the vehicle has been running for a while I can then turn it to ACC and it will work fine for a few minutes but then cut out and all sound will go away. But the stereo itself still lights up and shows that it's playing music.

post some pictures. so you cut off the harness going in to the amp, or the harness coming out of it?
Old 07-14-2014, 11:03 AM

post some pictures. so you cut off the harness going in to the amp, or the harness coming out of it?
I cut the harness coming from the top that was connected to the factory stereo. I'm unable to post pictures at the moment but will when I get a chance.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:41 PM

I cut the harness coming from the top that was connected to the factory stereo. I'm unable to post pictures at the moment but will when I get a chance.
as i posted earlier, look on the other side of the amp, there should be two plugs one smaller than the other, and one will possibly be blue (doesnt matter if its not). those two plugs are your standard toyota radio harness plugs, and will bypass the amp. you would need to do that if you plan to replace the speakers anyway, but thats another topic for another time. pull the two plugs, buy yourself a yota harness, wire the radio up correctly and you should be able to eliminate the issues.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:56 PM

as i posted earlier, look on the other side of the amp, there should be two plugs one smaller than the other, and one will possibly be blue (doesnt matter if its not). those two plugs are your standard toyota radio harness plugs, and will bypass the amp. you would need to do that if you plan to replace the speakers anyway, but thats another topic for another time. pull the two plugs, buy yourself a yota harness, wire the radio up correctly and you should be able to eliminate the issues.
So doing that will use the stereo amp instead? I already installed the new speakers and they sound fine other than the problems that were already previously occurring.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:51 PM

So doing that will use the stereo amp instead? I already installed the new speakers and they sound fine other than the problems that were already previously occurring.

yes using the harness on the amp will utilize the aftermarket stereos built in amplifier
Old 07-15-2014, 07:29 AM

yes using the harness on the amp will utilize the aftermarket stereos built in amplifier
Alright sorry for more questions (just want to make sure I don't mess anything up since I'm a noob). Is it possible for the factory amp to be causing these problems with the fade and acc? I just don't know anything about amps really. What would cause those issues?
Old 07-15-2014, 11:17 AM

without seeing what you have going on, it is pretty hard to tell you if its related to the amp or not. a bad amp could cause fading issues and sound issues as you are trying to tie into a high level output system. as someone else had mentioned you may have hooked up a wrong dimmer. if its a non screen radio, i would leave the dimmer out of the picture all together.
by bypassing the amp, and using the correct harness, you eliminate two major possibilities a bad amp and or bad wiring. no offense but as you are a self admitted noob to this, i would go with the 2nd of the 2. i do this for a "living" and have seen TONS of people who "know what they are doing" mess up on the simplest of wiring. hacking off the harness and attempting to hardwire in to an existing amp isnt exaclty the first of things i would have suggested to do when installing a radio. again, not trying to crap in your cereal.

Your best bet is to just eliminate the hardwire and the amplifier all together and start from there. with good solid connections and a harness there should be no what if's as far as the wiring is concerned. the harness is as easy as it gets, match the colors, and cap off what you dont need.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:22 AM

without seeing what you have going on, it is pretty hard to tell you if its related to the amp or not. a bad amp could cause fading issues and sound issues as you are trying to tie into a high level output system. as someone else had mentioned you may have hooked up a wrong dimmer. if its a non screen radio, i would leave the dimmer out of the picture all together.
by bypassing the amp, and using the correct harness, you eliminate two major possibilities a bad amp and or bad wiring. no offense but as you are a self admitted noob to this, i would go with the 2nd of the 2. i do this for a "living" and have seen TONS of people who "know what they are doing" mess up on the simplest of wiring. hacking off the harness and attempting to hardwire in to an existing amp isnt exaclty the first of things i would have suggested to do when installing a radio. again, not trying to crap in your cereal.

Your best bet is to just eliminate the hardwire and the amplifier all together and start from there. with good solid connections and a harness there should be no what if's as far as the wiring is concerned. the harness is as easy as it gets, match the colors, and cap off what you dont need.
Yeah I did actual have an experienced guy help me with it but still.. I got a harness now but I won't have the time to install it for a little while. I'll let you know how everything goes though. Also, not that it matters but I'm very experienced with a lot of technology (building computers and cell phone hacking and other stuff...) However this is one thing I haven't done before.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:46 PM

Yeah I did actual have an experienced guy help me with it but still.. I got a harness now but I won't have the time to install it for a little while. I'll let you know how everything goes though. Also, not that it matters but I'm very experienced with a lot of technology (building computers and cell phone hacking and other stuff...) However this is one thing I haven't done before.

i dont fault you at all for trying. just sometimes a shortcut take a whole lot longer than just doing it correctly from the jump. let me know what happens when you get more time to mess with it, and hopefully you get some good results.
I always encourage people to try it themselves IF they are certain of what they are jumping into. i just had to fix an 05 camry for a guy because his friend who used to be an installer, chopped off his airbag light harness instead of his radio harness, and then went ahead and chopped off the radio harness for good measure. lots of quality time re soldering a new harness in to that car.

Quick Reply: 1997 4Runner Sony Stereo Problems