Site Feedback Please use this forum to provide feedback, suggestions on the site

What would you like to see in YotaTechs future?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 05:23 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
You are welcome Paul.

Best tire shine?
When, and I do say when, I use to use Meguiars Endurance, as it lasted more than two weeks.

These new Dick Cepek Mountaincat mud tires I have must have something in the carcass, never seen tires this dark and stay that way even when dirty.

I got these tires 9-11-06, and they have only been washed a few times since it was getting near fall.

They refuse to get dingy and brown like most other tires.
They look great all the time like they were just Ajaxed, strange.
Gotta be something Cooper Tires is putting into them.

I have some wiki info from Midiwall, just have not had time to look into it yet.
Never enough time.

Coming home today from work I forgot what day it was
Seriously, the days just fly by for me.
Boeing keeps me very busy, and the weeks fly by.

Now if only the weekends would not do that.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get New filtering

A little searching around led me to this:
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=91025

Basically, it looks like a feature that allows you to select what forums you are interested in for the "Get New" operation. I don't know diddley about vBulletin, but it looks like it's at least possible.

I personally would like to have two... a "Get New (filtered)" and a "Get New".

Another one I came across was a hack to allow you to have a Get New that only searched through your subscribed forums. Either or those would be lovely!
Old 02-21-2007, 06:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Being a guy it is hard to admit this but I am not the most mechanical person on the planet. I would love to learn more about how to do alot of my own work on my truck and HAVE learned alot since joining this site almost a year ago. However alot of the threads are extremely technical and quite frankly I don't understand some of them.
Maybe if we added a little more to our newbie section with some basic terminology and some of the more basic how to's of maintenance we could help some of our mechanically challenged YT'ers (including myself) out.

Other than that, I LOVE this friggin site and I can't wait till I am posting my own buildup thread!
Old 02-21-2007, 06:41 PM

i think the off topic threads are getting out of hand. just me tho.

buying guides would be good. this would prevent most "what lift" "what tires" "what radio" "what xxx" threads that pop up day after day.

also user submitted reviews of items. follow the lead of www.bit-tech.net and provide reviews on hardware so to speak. even tools and such.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
User submitted reviews is a great idea. So is keeping them short and sweet and having a thread say for each part.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:01 PM
Contributing Member

For all these suggestions (except Off-Topic)...the word "wiki" just keeps popping into my mind.

Glad to here's it's being thrown around.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
maybe a local area meet and greet post area for people to get together on weekends in there local areas and have a day of wheelin and barbeqin or what ever that way at least people can put a face to some of the people they talk and exchange ideas with on yt.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:45 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

We do already have a user submitted reviews members can post up.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f105/
Old 02-22-2007, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by DrBeau
For all these suggestions (except Off-Topic)...the word "wiki" just keeps popping into my mind.

Glad to here's it's being thrown around.
Yeah... Corey's been looking into it. He & I have been tossing some PM's around about Wiki's and how to integrate them in the forum.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by midiwall
...integrate them in the forum.
Honestly, I think the easiest way is to not integrate it (like TTORA). Something like http://wiki.yotatech.com running on it's own makes the most sense to me. Just my two cents, though.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by DrBeau
Honestly, I think the easiest way is to not integrate it (like TTORA). Something like http://wiki.yotatech.com running on it's own makes the most sense to me. Just my two cents, though.
Well, I said that 'cause I think that Corey found a module that would plug into VBulletin to at least mash it into a Forum frame of some sort.

I agree though, I'd rather see it as a virtual server off of the domain. A wiki needs to be wide; allowed to run free and sprawl across your monitor; to breath in the cool air of spring; to roost on in the rafters of your mind...

oh... wow.. gotta adjust those meds.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:17 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

The plugin one does sound nice, but I am a little paranoid about security, especially what happened with that Flash Chat applet we had.

I saw this from Mark.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_4Runner

How do we get one setup, and if several, I can make a category here called Wiki, then when you go to it it can have several links to the various Wikis.
Example, the off road area.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f89/

Inside are links to other forums, inside the Wiki category would be the different Wikis.

I am crackin' up here.
Wikis sounds weird

I have never used a Wiki in my life or read one.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Corey
How do we get one setup, and if several, I can make a category here called Wiki, then when you go to it it can have several links to the various Wikis.
Actually, there's a member that has already set one up on a trial basis. I've asked him to drop you a line. I don't want to call him out since I don't know what his bandwidth limits are.

I am crackin' up here.
Wikis sounds weird
Yeah, it took m a while to get used to it! Just own it baby! Say it with pride!

I have never used a Wiki in my life or read one.
...and you won't go back once it gets under your skin!
Old 02-22-2007, 04:33 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I bet I know who he is.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:36 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Originally Posted by midiwall
Yeah, it took m a while to get used to it! Just own it baby! Say it with pride!

...and you won't go back once it gets under your skin!
Wi Wi Wi Wi, Wiki.
There, I said it.

What were those lists called online before the Internet got really popular?
I use to read those long ago.
Mail list, or something like that.

Sounds like the Wiki would be great.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:49 AM
Contributing Member

Would it be possible to seperate the 86-95 forum into 4cylinder and V6 sections?

I understand why the 1st and 2nd gen 4Runner sections were merged a while back, but, personaly, I think there is a lot of stuff to sift through in that section. I know nothing about the 4banger engines, but do know a bit about the V6. If there is a way to seperate it, that would be cool. If not, oh well. Still a fantastic site!
Old 10-28-2007, 07:00 AM

How about a 3.4 swap section. Sometimes it gets alittle confusing of where to put a post. Should it go in the 86-95 or 96-2002. Since the 3.4 swap uses components from both I think it would be very convient to have a section dedicated to the 3.4 swap. It might make searches alittle easier too. Maybe Thanks
Old 10-28-2007, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by slosurfer
First off, I would like to say that this site is amazing and I have learned quite a lot already (and spent even more $$$). One thing I was thinking of was, for each area of vehicle tech, a sticky or something for common "tuneup" parts. Spark plugs, wires, waterpumps, timingbelts, etc... It can help to show whether or not OEM is better or what the prefferred aftermarket company to go with. Also, their experiences with which parts not to go with. Most of this can already be found by searching, but it takes a very long time to search through everything and reading a lot of useless posts trying to find what brand of spark plug wires everyone is useing. The posts in it should probably only have the part (part# if available), company name, and your experience with it. Basically just a short, yes it has worked well, or no, I did not have a good experience with it. No replies to what others have posted, only what you have used and your experience. Debates can be done in another thread or by pm. Pretty quick, it would be easy to see what the majority are useing for common parts and their experiences. I am getting ready to do my timing belt/ water pump, and a few other things and while I have found a wealth of knowledge on the install, it has been hell trying to figure out what part brands to get.

Here is an example of what I am thinking: this is for 89-95

'93 4runner 3.0 auto

spark plugs: bosch platinums (won't buy again, terrible performance)
waterpump: playdough brand (looked well made, has lasted 50,000 and no problems yet)

timing belt: atoyot brand (terrible experience, broke after 5,000 miles)

***if you have any questions, contact me by PM

Once again that is just an example, but at least you could just scroll down the page and see very quickly what the trend has been for good and bad parts. All posts without parts or are replies to what someone else had for parts should be deleted. Also, all posts that don't list the year, motor, and tranny should be deleted. That is all I have.

Like he mentioned, there is A LOT of great information on yotatech but it can be difficult to find things just by using the search and combing through tons of old threads. I think more FAQ's and information organized in more of a traditional website format (at least for FAQ's and informational articles) rather than a forum or thread type lay out would make information much clearer and easy to find. Also, I love the write ups and how to's, I'd love to see more of those. Some product reviews would be great as well. Keep up the good work.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:52 PM
Contributing Member

I kinda like the map suggestion mentioned earlier in this thread. The real question is how far to take it. User location would be both novel and informative, nice to know where we all are and to lend a hand or get together. Another approach would be mapping trail areas, regional or country wide, could be in the trail/trip planning forum.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:20 PM
Contributing Member

How about even more google ads?