The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

to swing-a-way or NOT to swing-a-way with the tire carrier?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
to swing-a-way or NOT to swing-a-way with the tire carrier?

Greetings,

i'm in the design stages of a rear bumper for my 3rd gen 4r....

swing out tire carrier or NO?

I've heard that maybe vibrations may be an issue???

Input?

thanks!

Aaron
Old 09-03-2005, 03:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you mean leave the tire under the truck or do a swing out or do you mean put the tire carrier on the bumper and have it swing or leave it stationary?
Swing out, definitely. If it wasn't a swing out you would never be able to use your rear gate. Plus if you leave the tire underneath you won't be able to run more than a 32" tire comfotably under there.
Old 09-03-2005, 04:00 PM

Also, for a hinge, check out www.rocklogic4x4.com, they have a nice hinge that isn't as expensive as Slee Off-Roads.

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/products_diy.htm

http://www.rocklogic4x4.com/store/index.php

they are closed for a few days. but hopefully they will reopen quickly.

You could also try:

http://www.bigrocksoffroad.com/hard_parts.htm

http://www.rockstomper.com/catalog/pieces/hinge.htm

I think these hinges are pretty solid so vibration isn't a huge issue assuming you get a good latch.
Old 09-03-2005, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Intrepid
Do you mean leave the tire under the truck or do a swing out or do you mean put the tire carrier on the bumper and have it swing or leave it stationary?
Swing out, definitely. If it wasn't a swing out you would never be able to use your rear gate. Plus if you leave the tire underneath you won't be able to run more than a 32" tire comfotably under there.
correct, swing out then lift the hatch. I've heard this can cause vibration issues at hwy speeds. Something to do w. flex of the 3rd gen frames?

I currently fit a 33" tire under the truck.

aaron
Old 09-03-2005, 05:36 PM

I am having a custom rear bumper being built now and I put alot of thought into the design.

Granted, I have a 1st gen....

My 4runner does some crawling, daily driving and high speed desert stuff. The high speed stuff can cause lots of vibrations (that's an understatement) so I wanted something stable.

What we are doing is having the swingout meet the bumper in 4 places instead of two. Basically there are the bootom hinge and latch and then there are going to be tubes coming up above the tail lights with another hige and latch. The gate will be held at 4 points.

Basically the hinge is a joint very similar to the A-arm mount. They are packed with polyurethane bushings. The idea is instead of haveing a rigid hings...where all the vibrations are sent to the frame and welds.....the polyurethane will allow the gate to vibarte a little bit, but it will be controlled by the upper and lower mounting points...so as not to get out of control. If this idea does not fair well, we can replace the polyurethane bushings with brass bushings.

I will be carryinga 33x10.50 and a 5 gallon gas can on the swingout. I'll ost pics...if I ever get my rig back.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:03 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
I got a Badlands Rear bumper w/ tire carrier and I haul around a 37" MTR...never hear a peep out of it. A 4 contact point design liek mentioned above...w/ two pins...no way it is going anywhere and no rear view problems at all.

I got pics on my website of the "modifications" I've made to it for my own use...

Old 09-05-2005, 07:06 PM

that rocks!

thanks for the ideas guys!

Last edited by rworegon; 08-03-2014 at 11:06 AM.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:00 PM
JGM

Here is my experience, just to present the other side of the coin - depending on size, you will have much reduced visibility in the back. Getting into your rear hatch will require opening the gate - every single time. Parallel park? Forget about rear access. Depending on the design, size of tire, and type of driving, you will eventually develop some fatigue points and possibly breaks or bending of metal. I experienced all of these.

BUT - if you like it, then these are just things you deal with just like any other mod. I had a gate up until about a month ago, and I was keeping a 32" and a 35" on it. See my avatar.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:04 PM

I have a 37" tire on mine and zero vibration or bending issues. As far as visibility remember to offset the tire to the passenger side.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:26 PM

I guess my only REAL GOOD reason for wanting a swing-a-way carrier would be for clearance coming off rocks (well, and it DOES look cool )
I do a LOAD of city driving, so not seeing out the back doesn't thrill me. Again...it does LOOK hoss.....

JGM- did you/do you have any issues with that now that you've got it back under the truck? I look at my clearance and departure angle now (or LACK thereof) and all I see is my hitch assy keeping my spare 33" from getting drug across rocks coming off stuff or going thru gluches. BUT...that said...I know a BUNCH of peeps here on YT run their 35"s under there. Maybe it's the terrain I drive?
Old 09-06-2005, 08:34 PM

Jeff - how's this work out for departure with your leafs?

Old 09-07-2005, 07:06 PM
JGM

I have dragged my spare when it was underneath, and I have hung up my spare when it was sitting high on the gate. Depends a lot on the trail and how good a driver you are that day. I know several guys that experienced the same thing.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:11 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by JGM
Here is my experience, just to present the other side of the coin - depending on size, you will have much reduced visibility in the back. Getting into your rear hatch will require opening the gate - every single time. Parallel park? Forget about rear access. Depending on the design, size of tire, and type of driving, you will eventually develop some fatigue points and possibly breaks or bending of metal. I experienced all of these.

BUT - if you like it, then these are just things you deal with just like any other mod. I had a gate up until about a month ago, and I was keeping a 32" and a 35" on it. See my avatar.

I spent 3 hours plasma cutting his off and grinding the bumper smooth today.

One more time, the 3rd Gen frame and the 1st and 2nd Gen frames are not the same, even with the better frame, Cheese STILL cut his off.

Find someone who has had one for more than 3 years or so and ask them After 1 year I had had enough.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:13 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by amorphous
I guess my only REAL GOOD reason for wanting a swing-a-way carrier would be for clearance coming off rocks (well, and it DOES look cool )
I do a LOAD of city driving, so not seeing out the back doesn't thrill me. Again...it does LOOK hoss.....

JGM- did you/do you have any issues with that now that you've got it back under the truck? I look at my clearance and departure angle now (or LACK thereof) and all I see is my hitch assy keeping my spare 33" from getting drug across rocks coming off stuff or going thru gluches. BUT...that said...I know a BUNCH of peeps here on YT run their 35"s under there. Maybe it's the terrain I drive?
Bla Bla Bla

Real life VS web life.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
Bla Bla Bla

Real life VS web life.
dag, yo.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:23 PM
JGM

Steve - I hate these pics. They keep me thinking more and more about SAS.