The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Rear disc brake idea

Old 08-27-2007, 02:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear disc brake idea

Hello,

With the SAS I want to convert my rear brakes to discs. I've seen many kits that use Cadillac calipers but I don't want to use American parts in my truck because will be very difficult to get replacements here in Spain.

So I was thinking in using all Toyota parts and a bit of fabrication.

The idea is this:

SFA non-vented rotors in the rear, machined to fit the axle plates.
'90 Toyota Celica/Supra rear calipers
Custom caliper brakets

Those calipers are Toyota, so I won't have any problem getting brake pads and have an e-brake integrated. Those are the calipers used in the FROR full floater kit so I don't think I'll have any problem with them.

The question I've is about the master cylinder. Althought my truck is diesel it's like a V6 2nd Gen in the brakes so, can I use my current MC adding a residual valve or do I need a 80 series Land Cruiser MC?

What do you think about this setup?

David

Last edited by Blizzard; 08-27-2007 at 02:33 AM.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Sounds like you're going in the right direction! I've converted my rear, but wished I would have used FROR full floater kit because of the toyota calipers.

Read this thread and I think you'll have your answer! It makes me wonder why I got sucked into buying the bigger mastercylinder!!! I'm almost curious to swapped my old one back in, add a residual valve and see what happens. Then atleast I could plug my low fluid switch back in!!!

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116.../#post50410645

Good luck and enjoy the HUGE improvement in brake power!!!
Old 08-27-2007, 03:53 AM

Thanks, I'm going to read the post now.

In the FROF website that isn't necessary to add a new MC or residual valve

David
Old 08-27-2007, 04:12 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Blizzard
In the FROF website that isn't necessary to add a new MC or residual valve
Right, as long as you convert your axle. If your low budget like me, the use of Chevy/stock SFA calipers will require the use of the residual valve or the 80 series Land Cruiser MC(not because of the bigger bore size, but because of the built in residual valves). However, this does NOT apply to the FROR kit because it's a FULL floating conversion(as opposed the SEMI floating axles we have). If your planning on doing this, like me:

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/reviews/rear_discs/

The you'll have to use residual valving.

Last edited by BigBluePile; 08-27-2007 at 04:22 AM. Reason: Wrong info!
Old 08-27-2007, 07:27 AM

Nope, as I said my plan is using Toyota Supra calipers, the same used in the FROF kit but without converting my axle to full floater. Will then be necessary to put a residual valve? Anyways they're cheap...

David
Old 08-27-2007, 08:41 AM
Contributing Member

Yes. If your going to retain a semifloating axle, a residual valve will be needed. If you find that you don't like the way the brake action works, you may want to swap in a manually adjustable proportioning valve to bypass the LSPV(the valve bolted above your rear axle, right side frame rail, with the rod connecting to the axle).
Old 08-27-2007, 09:51 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
David - if you 'wheel hard enough to REALLY need a SAS (and with all the trouble you all have to go through to get these things certified, I'm sure you REALLY need a SAS) then you REALLY REALLY need full floating axles.

Otherwise, it is reasonable to assume this may happen at some point:

Full floating takes the load off the axle shaft, so not only do they last longer, but if they DO break, you can still get home. This could be critical if it were to happen on one of your extended trips through the desert...
Old 08-27-2007, 10:23 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by tc
Full floating takes the load off the axle shaft, so not only do they last longer, but if they DO break, you can still get home. This could be critical if it were to happen on one of your extended trips through the desert...
This is exactly the reason why I kick myself for not waiting and picking up the FROR conversion kit. It would have been cheaper, believe it or not!!! If you are seriously going to SAS and flog the heck outta your rig, get the conversion!!!!!!
Old 08-27-2007, 02:21 PM

Well, I cannot afford right now the kit altought I will buy it if I won the lottery, don't worry!

Let's make the SAS and then maybe in some months add Longfields in the front and rear full floaters...

David
Old 08-29-2007, 11:50 AM
Contributing Member

Hey David, if you do swap to rear discs, how will you get a working parking brake which will pass your yearly inspection in Spain?
I got an allpro disc on my rear driveshaft which baffles the guy where I take my yearly test, so far he still accepts it.
I think a better solution for you would be rear discs from a LC 70 (semi floater), they have a drum for a parking brake build in. Also they have the same 6 bolt pattern so no need to change anything on the axles, just slap them on.
You need a backing plate from a Hilux 2WD or a supra rearend . They both fit into the LC rear disc. You than can use supra, LC70-80 or prado rear calipers. They are all near identical.
If you than replace your MC to a LC one you'll have a perfctly working and perfectly stock looking rearend.
I have some pics from a similar swap I did a year or 2 ago, I will look em up.
Hangon, I think i still have that axle somewhere.
If you want me to take a few pics, email me and i'll make some tomorrow.

Can't you find a Prado rear axle? It's close to identical to the 4R. I believe even the links are the same. Plus they all have discs and sometimes lockers.
You could do that swap in a few hours.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:32 PM

Hi Roger!

Here in Spain we don't have 70's with rear discs, I looked for them in the EPC and all seemed compatible. As I said I plan on using Supra rear caliperes which have an e-brake.

I thought about the Prado swap but I'm not sure if the prado discs would clear the 15'' wheels (I was looking at one in 16's the other day and it seems the disc would but wouldn't the caliper...), also the Prado parts would be expensive, the yards think Toyota = $$$...

I've an elocker already, will go in my rear axle once SASed hehe

Anyways would love to see the pics. Won't you have a HP elocker for me? Hehehe

David
Old 08-29-2007, 02:20 PM

i have an 80 series MC for sale from when i did my rear disc conversion.... all pro told me i needed it, but it wouldnt even hook up so im using my stocker, and it works like stock (cept the ebrake thing)