The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

My Camping Trailer Project

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gary_the_4runner
why the 2" receiver in the rear???

"For getting Jeeps unstuck!" Really, they can be used for almost anything. I plan on making a table around five feet long that will be stored in the trailer but fit in reciever, it will also double as a platform for setting up the tent. They also come in handy for bike racks, cargo carriers, etc, etc.

is this a sleeper? or just for hauling the goods?

The plan is to make it a true camping trailer. When I sold the Chief I bought a double size Tent-Cot, that is going to get modified and mounted on the top like a Roof top tent. If you look at this picture the blue tape will be the supports for the Tent-Cot, the small section at the front /top of the trailer will be a platform to stand on to get into the tent and take off your shoes, etc. There will be a smaller box on the front, so with the tongue the whole front will kind of be a set of stairs up to the tent.

should have made it long enough to string a hammock hahaha

That's what trees, the 4Runner and camper are for, together there are plenty of spots to hook up a hammock, awning, etc.

maybe run the gas tank to a small generator?

The gas tank will act as a transfer tank, 15 gallons of fuel without three Jerry Cans!
Reply in Green

Last edited by DIRTCO; 08-30-2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:08 AM

thanks for the reply dirtco, looks good!!!!!!
Old 08-31-2010, 06:54 PM

Nice project...Subscribe... love to see more.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:10 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
axle plans?
Old 08-31-2010, 07:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks awesome, can't wait to see the finished product.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:20 PM

hopefully rockwells.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by toyospearo
WOW!!
Fantastic work! Nice job.
Subscribed for sure!
Thanks, that means a lot!

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
Awesome, and yep I subscribed, looking forward to the progress.
Seems like you might end up with some a little like Scotty's trailer build , but bigger
Thanks! At first I was going to build a small trailer like Scotty's, but using the Toyota frame and gas tank didn't allow it. Also, after all the work involved I would rather have it be a little bigger and have extra room than build the thing too small.

It looks big in the pictures but it's really not that bad, it should be a little smaller than the AT Chaser (Drool ).

Old 09-01-2010, 05:20 PM

for the hitch are you going to run a 2inch ball or a pindle type?
Old 09-01-2010, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by jschmidt250
Nice project...Subscribe... love to see more.
Originally Posted by Crimson Yota
Looks awesome, can't wait to see the finished product.
Thanks guys!
Old 09-01-2010, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
axle plans?
I'm going to make my own axle. I ordered some DIY trailer spindles and 6x5.5 trailer hubs, I will get more specific once I build it.

Originally Posted by clydehatchet
hopefully rockwells.
I like your style! While I'm at it I should install a V8 and have it be a "Pusher" trailer!

Originally Posted by broncrider
for the hitch are you going to run a 2inch ball or a pindle type?
The front of the tongue is going to have a 2" reciever so I can change couplers and have some theft protection. For now I'm going to have a standard 2" ball and coupler but down the road I want one of these for when I get on the trail.

http://www.adventuretrailers.com/coupler.html
Old 09-01-2010, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by DIRTCO
Thanks Scotty! How much of a PITA was it for you to plate your small homebuilt trailer? From what I've read it seems pretty simple but I know how the DMV can be, do you have any tips or advice?
Fill out the paper. Walk in, hand it to the clerk. They will ask you what you spent building it (I said $150). What is it Worth? (I Said $150).

I paid $14 and walked out with a plate and a small VIN plate that attaches to the frame. No inspection, nothing. Piece of cake.

Mine was so damn small, and yet the V6 was still worthless pulling it. When I took it out to CA for KOH 09' it was an awful drive. We were in a head wind both ways. I got 12mpg the entire trip. It sucked, but we made it there and back fine I guess. The new rig is just sooooo much better. It pulls my big pop-up easily. Even with the 37s.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:01 PM

I'm going to make my own axle. I ordered some DIY trailer spindles and 6x5.5 trailer hubs, I will get more specific once I build it.

I like your style! While I'm at it I should install a V8 and have it be a "Pusher" trailer!

The front of the tongue is going to have a 2" reciever so I can change couplers and have some theft protection. For now I'm going to have a standard 2" ball and coupler but down the road I want one of these for when I get on the trail.

http://www.adventuretrailers.com/coupler.html
Take a look at the Euro type balls. They are completely different, but will not bind even with a 2" standard ball. And, they are way cheaper. I would have used one of these easily. This is about as stupid easy and cheap as it gets. No banging of the pintle, and it will flex just as well as long as the trailer is upright you have nothing to worry about.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/euro-mount-...wx?filterid=j1
Old 09-01-2010, 06:21 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottyC
Fill out the paper. Walk in, hand it to the clerk. They will ask you what you spent building it (I said $150). What is it Worth? (I Said $150).

I paid $14 and walked out with a plate and a small VIN plate that attaches to the frame. No inspection, nothing. Piece of cake.

Mine was so damn small, and yet the V6 was still worthless pulling it. When I took it out to CA for KOH 09' it was an awful drive. We were in a head wind both ways. I got 12mpg the entire trip. It sucked, but we made it there and back fine I guess. The new rig is just sooooo much better. It pulls my big pop-up easily. Even with the 37s.
dang if only it was that easy in pa. or cheap for that matter.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:23 PM

man oh man I wish I know how to weld like you. Kudos on the project man cant wait to see the finished product
Old 09-01-2010, 08:13 PM

Thanks for the info! Sounds easy enough, I didn't know if they were going to inspect it or make me get it weighed. Once I get the thing rolling I'll give them a call and get the paperwork I need.

$14.00 !!! Was that before they increased the vehicle taxes? They charged me $85.00 to register the Chief, when I bought the thing for $50.00! I couldn't believe it.

I know the trailer is going to suck to pull on the road, I almost didn't build it for that reason. I think this is a good time to explain my thought process of the trailer, so this is directed to everyone, not just Scotty.

I just don't have room for all my camping gear in the 4Runner, or in my house for that matter. It also becomes a day project to pack / unpack the truck and it wheels like crap when it's full of camping gear/supplies. When I get the urge to go camping it would be nice to grap my personal stuff, load the dog, hook up the trailer, grab some fuel, food and beer, and be on my way.

I'm watching the weight as much as possible while keeping to the budget of "cheap", but I'm willing to sacrifice weight for comfort. If I'm going to put this much work into something I want to do it right. I really hope to keep it under 700 pounds (that's how much the Chaser weighs). What the truck and trailer lack on the road should be made up for on the trail. With the 4.7 transfer case gears, and the option of 2wd low, easy to moderate trails will not be an issue.

Most of my camping will be fairly close to home, but for the longer trips I will try to use backroads and trails. As long as the trailer is easy to use I can add an extra day or two for travel time. Maybe one day an engine swap might be in the future.

Last edited by DIRTCO; 09-02-2010 at 05:33 AM.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:22 PM

Take a look at the Euro type balls. They are completely different, but will not bind even with a 2" standard ball. And, they are way cheaper. I would have used one of these easily. This is about as stupid easy and cheap as it gets. No banging of the pintle, and it will flex just as well as long as the trailer is upright you have nothing to worry about.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/euro-mount-...wx?filterid=j1
That's awesome, thanks for the idea! Once I get the suspension set-up I'm going to order one of these and see how it works out.

EDIT - It looks like they are only made for 1 1/4" recievers, I'll have to do some reseach.

Last edited by DIRTCO; 09-01-2010 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:43 PM

Here in Washington they make you call the state patrol and schedule an appointment if it's a home made trailer.
And they're so backed up it takes about 4 months before they see you, then you have to take the trailer to the state patrol office and get it inspected before they will let you have a plate/tags.

I found this out the hard way, I bought a double axle flat bed trailer, it was home made but was professional.
He told me just take the bill of sale to the dmv and they'll licence / title it. Hah, if only I knew better..

Last edited by prorunner; 09-01-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:43 AM

dont sell yourself short! Mercedes v12 in the trailer. your rig is already like a freight train, might as well come to grips with it.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:04 AM

That's awesome, thanks for the idea! Once I get the suspension set-up I'm going to order one of these and see how it works out.

EDIT - It looks like they are only made for 1 1/4" recievers, I'll have to do some reseach.
Sleeve it
Old 09-03-2010, 08:51 PM

Here's a really basic idea of how I want the trailer to turn out (nothing is to scale). I think the fenders will be made out of bent round tubing, the front storage box will be a mix of expanded steel and normal sheet (on the way to the campsite it will be used for firewood, and on the way home for trash). The smaller section at the front of the trailer (driver side) will be a door to the front area of the trailer, the passenger side (in picture) will have a door to a small compartment that will have the fuel filler, and fuel transfer hose. The back tailgate will swing out to the right to remove the gear from inside, and there will also be a long table that fits in the rear 2" reciever.

The last picture is looking from the front of the trailer towards the back. The red lines are the supports for the tent.

Quick Reply: My Camping Trailer Project