The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Herculiner VS Rhino

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Herculiner VS Rhino

So I know both are pretty thick and dry real solid ect ect. One of my pet peeves when i paint something that gets alot of movement on it is the little scratches and ☺☺☺☺. Lately it seems like nothing wants to 100% adhere and resist scratching for me. I know that it takes more than 24 hours for something to completly set but still. Whats your experience with Rhino and Herculiner in high traffic arreas?
Old 04-08-2007, 04:34 PM

I used Durabak to paint my truck and have had no problems!
Old 04-08-2007, 04:54 PM

The thing I cant stand is like a wrench hitting it and all of the sudden it completely comes off. Thats BS to me I want something tough.
Old 04-08-2007, 05:01 PM

Hmmm I want to see a pic of faded herculiner cause I definatly dont want my flatbed shiny like they say it will make it.
Old 04-08-2007, 05:01 PM

I've used alot of the stuff on my 83 build (floor boards, lower quarters, entire frame, etc.). All I can say is that its all about prep work. The cleaner the surface the stronger it adhears. The stuff I use also comes in rattle cans so I can (and do) touch up areas that get f-ed up. I think it just kinda goes along with "do it yourself." But it looks so cool.
Old 04-08-2007, 05:07 PM

Wait I just assumed that you were talking about a at home job. If you wernt, my bad.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:19 PM

No I am
Old 04-08-2007, 06:27 PM

I have a friend that has a 91 that carries his 4-wheeler or his dirtbikes or dead things in all the time. Has a pro Rhino-liner bed and it isnt messed up at all. And he dosnt baby it. I mean these's like one little spot that came up but thats it. If you drop a wrench and its flaking off thats bad. Like I stated its all about prep.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:41 PM

Hmmm gonna have to see. I'm gonna look in to the herculiner for the flatbed after i see how the undercoating holds up. I think once I learn to weld I have bigger plans for my truck though. Something along the lines of 4runner-atising the cab but instead of sheetmetal in the rear do something like an allpro flatbed. with the center open into the cab.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:53 PM

I have always dreamed of doing something like that. Never thought about the opening onto a flatbed, very interesting. I likey. Anyway good luck with the liner issue. And I can attest to the durability of at least the dupli-color stuff. The places I have probs are places I didnt clean very well. The other places I can hardly hack off with a knife.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:58 PM

See I prepped like a mofo before i did duplicolor spray can liner and it peeled even without contact on it. Imo all duplicolor is junk and a half.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:04 PM

I suppose consistancy is what you pay for at the dealers. And hell if you pay to have it done, they fix it if it gets f'd up.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:45 PM

To be honest, I have seen Rhino Liner, it is softer and not as hard as Line-X which is a lot better in my opinion.

Just depends on who much money you have and what you want to spend. If I get my truck back this week I will throw up some pictures for you of the rocker + wheel well arches.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:00 PM

What is the pricing on line-x/rhino?
Old 04-08-2007, 08:04 PM

a buddy spent about $5-600 canadian to have his Tundra bed line-x'd. a week before he rolled it.. so no idea about durability. expensive though!
Old 04-08-2007, 09:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Stomis
See I prepped like a mofo before i did duplicolor spray can liner and it peeled even without contact on it. Imo all duplicolor is junk and a half.
Can't speak for your experience, but I have used the duplicolor spray can liners on several rock sliders and a friends bumper I made. The sliders are chipping a bit but sliding on the rocks I am not complaining. The bumper on the other hand has sustained several impacts with rocks, shrubs, a couple of trees, and a full size GMC rear ended him. The bumper hasn't even been scratched, the only difference I used on it was that I primed with some professional Rustoleum and while the primer was just a bit tacky I sprayed the bedliner and it bonded VERY well.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:27 PM

Iv used that dupicolor spray in stuff. It works, its just i didnt prep my bed very good. I did do the side panels and prep em pretty good and so far its working great.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:16 AM

I guess Its cause I didnt prime. Usually when I use a good product a light first coat is good enough for a prime but I guess not with their stuff.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by deserttoy84
Iv used that dupicolor spray in stuff. It works, its just i didnt prep my bed very good. I did do the side panels and prep em pretty good and so far its working great.
I used that stuff on the doors of my Heep and didn't like it. It's not textured.
My cousin used it on the floors of his Heep and it flaked off in less then a year.

I did the floors of my Grand with Herculiner and loved it.
This year I will be doing the floors of my Toyota, my GF's TJ and my buddy's YJ.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
not textured?

hmm the stuff i got in teh can by duplicolor was textured. I sprayed our work bench with it =)

it scratches but doesnt chip. Works great for the bench.

I also used a bit in my cab on the floor where my foot rests next to the clutch pedal and its all rubbed off =(

Quick Reply: Herculiner VS Rhino